Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
It's definately a businesses right to do whatever they want. Maybe I wanna play fox in my business and if someone is the type of person who won't frequent my business because of whats on my tv that sounds like a whiny customer I don't want anyways.
I don't argue in the least that as a businessman, you have the right to promote whatever you want. However, that makes you a very POOR businessman. You won't make much of a profit by alienating half your potential customer base.

As a buyer, I had a salesman come visit my office one time. I would have considered doing business with him, based on his company's product. However, he started proselytizing to me......and immediately lost any chance of garnering any orders from me.

Religion and politics have no place in business.......if you want to be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's the most watched cable news channel (by a wide margin), and you have to ask why they're putting it on? Seriously?

Most people aren't political junkies, and if you're not a political junkie, there's about zero chance that Fox will be offensive to you.
And again.....ratings are IRRELEVANT.

Why would you want to do something that you know could lose you customers?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This is obvious! Fox news is a very popular channel and consistently has the highest ratings.
Fox News Channel Wins 13th Consecutive Year As Most Watched Cable News Network
Fox News Dominates Cable News Ratings In 2014; MSNBC Tumbles
"FNC celebrates a quarter with the most-watched primetime across the cable dial"
Fox News Nabs Historic Cable Ratings Victory - The Hollywood Reporter
It would make sense only if the business was a mattress store and wanted to induce the customers to fall asleep.
CNN ratings plummet to historic low in primetime slot
I think CNN, MSNBC and the BBC. Split other viewers? But Fox news is the ONLY Conservative swaying and promoting, news and commentary Channel. But I also think, the all news format is loosing preferences among viewers today? Just so many other Stations to watch? Why they are trying new things now for variety?
Just as MTV found the just music videos, began to loose appeal and added movies and reality shows.

As for businesses with Fox new on TVs? My dentist office did till a sudden retirement happened. My workplace had Fox news on for a few months on one Cafeteria TV. Then switched to CNN last couple years and keep ESPN on the other.

I did find it ironic? That Fox news being conservative? Seemed to choose extremely pretty blonde female broadcasters and interviewers. With crossed legs and heels in full view. Seems others saw success in that and copy more...LOL. No hate please

Last edited by steeps; 04-03-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Again.....IRRELEVANT.

Don't show ANY news.....put on something that is non-controversial.

Why alienate potential customers????????
What if the customer turned FOX on????

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
And again.....ratings are IRRELEVANT.

Why would you want to do something that you know could lose you customers?
I think most

adults can handle listening to a channel that would not be their first pick.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Again.....IRRELEVANT.

Don't show ANY news.....put on something that is non-controversial.

Why alienate potential customers????????
I would say you alienate the least customers with it on. I don't want to watch womens shows and many women don't want to watch Discovery channel or some car show. Sports is out because a large segment of people don't want to watch that during the day and besides that most pro American sports is played at night. Some people don't want to see animal shows so that is out, everyone has differant music tastes so music is out, besides that many people are listening to their own music anyway. Cartoons is out because the person with the magic money card is not the kid in the room and besides that most kids are in school this time of year. Well Ok so it is spring break but you get the idea. I do not want to watch a cooking show so that is out and most local programming is showing either a soap or a game show that I would never want to watch. So take out all the other segmented single issue cable shows and that leaves news programming and who has the largest viewership? Fox news. So I choose to leave the TV on Fox news because the largest segment of customers are going to want to watch it.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
I don't argue in the least that as a businessman, you have the right to promote whatever you want. However, that makes you a very POOR businessman. You won't make much of a profit by alienating half your potential customer base.

As a buyer, I had a salesman come visit my office one time. I would have considered doing business with him, based on his company's product. However, he started proselytizing to me......and immediately lost any chance of garnering any orders from me.

Religion and politics have no place in business.......if you want to be successful.
I am wondering what it is you suggest then?

The truth of it is I can't find many business operations that even have a TV on. I have seen womens hair places that do have a tv with womens shows on. I don't shop at those places so no problem. One of our Doctors office has mostly women TV shows on but then they only see woman and babies so it kind of fits the market. As far as half the customer base, you are saying that half the people are liberal. I don't see that at all. I also think that most business people if they do have a TV and it is set to a channel that can not be changed by the public, that they will go with what the majority of their market wants to watch. Probably why you would have womens shows in business operations that cater to women. If I had a car repair place I would probably want to show car shows, or feed in Leno's Garage and let people watch that. Cater to the market that buys what you are selling.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
After reading this thread I am planning to always request the tv be changed to Fox news whenever I need to wait for auto service!

Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,518 times
Funny I can't get enough Fox News , but in fairness it's popularity has possibly an age related appeal coupled by relevant news, great reporters, and next to Glenn Beck 's "The Blaze" offers its viewers a
means of getting their heads out of their posteriors for a viewing nation a quart low on current events,
history, and life beyond TV sitcoms.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
hmm

I generally only see CNN on in businesses if its tuned to cable news

i only seen Fox News on once at the service dept lobby/waiting room an auto dealership

business people know liberals will start foaming at the mouth and go insain if FNC is on so they tend to go with the standard CNN or ESPN depending on customer base
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business