Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

So I decided to have an attorney create a living trust and had my first meeting with him this afternoon. He'd sent a packet for me to follow in accumulating what was needed and I've been working on it. It will be easy make the transfers of ownership to my daughter and son later on rather than send it through the courts.

My parents had a similar setup, except they did it themselves by putting my name on all their possessions as joint owner. When they died, the transition was easy. One thing I hadn't expected is having to state how the division will be if one of my children dies before I do. That's something I never thought about, but it must be included.

A will is also needed just in case I forget to include something and it can designate where it goes. The only reason it would ever be probated is if I did forget something.

Some friends have had theirs drawn up for years, but not everyone I've asked. I decided maybe it was best to go ahead and get it done. Do you have a will? Have you considered a living trust? Only recently a living trust was explained to me and that's when I decided to do it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
To me, if you have any assets at all, a will is an act of consideration for your heirs. I cannot understand why people avoid doing it.

When my wife and I go to our reward, the odds of any misunderstanding over the disposition of our estate to our three children is slim.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Wills are a lot easier to contest. A living trust incorporates what's calked a pour over will. Basically the will says look at the trust.
It's very very irresponsible not to have at least a will if you have children or family. Or even if you don't, once you die the state basically has a say in what happens to your stuff. I have a living trust. I had one since I was 32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business