Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM

45 posts, read 93,416 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are wondering if anyone have successfully started a business in selling fireworks so can pick their brain a little bit. My family owns commercial plaza and we have some free space and would like to venture into firework industry.

I was just wondering how does one even get started? How do I import the fireworks from China? What would be my very first step towards this end goal? What would be my first 5 steps towards this end goal? Who can I reach out to / hire for guidance?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
First you should check the local and state regulations to see what the law is in your area.

Fireworks is such a seasonal business, do you really want to waste that space in the plaza for a product line that people only want to buy a few days a year?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
More and more cities are banning it. Around here you would struggle to find a city to allow it, and would have to compete with the huge native tribal stands. The state laws here require you to have a license to sell fireworks, and you may only sell them for specific dates and hours around July 4th and New Years Day. The rest of the year sales are banned.

A google search will reveal many places to buy direct from China. If you do it, be sure to notify your insurance carrier and pay the additional amount for the liability and potential damage to the premises that will result from storing and selling fireworks.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Fireworks are not always made in China. A business here in north Alabama recently got in trouble for explosions at their facility making them. I agree that it is not a great business opportunity. Regulation, liability, seasonality all work against it.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I only know one family that sells fireworks. They make a huge amount of money in a couple of weeks.

The spot can be used to sell Christmas trees in the winter and maybe you could find a fruit vendor to open a booth the rest of the summer.

If there is a lot of traffic, maybe a drive-through coffee kiosk would work.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
First things first are you talking about 1.4G and/or 1.3G explosives? Is this retail sales only or will you have other regulated activities at the same location? Lastly, are we talking a couple display racks with packaged sparklers and bottle rockets type items or are we talking an entire store devoted just to fireworks (which raises the total amount issue even if just 1.4G)?

Importing them is not a problem. Getting them cleared for delivery through customs is. Not to mention following all the regulations so they are not seized by some enforcement agency before you can get a chance to sell them.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Talk to a lawyer first....... You need to protect yourself and more importantly your family's shopping center from liability when a 10 yr old kid blows his hand off or blinds himself using something you sold him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business