Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
JCP definitely needs to make some changes. I used to love to shop there, but now struggle to spend a $10 off $10 coupon. I'd like to see them go back to more classic type styles and and better than Wal-Mart quality. It's been several months since I went clothes shopping for myself. Last spring, I was looking for some decent looking tops to fit my more mature figure. I dont want elastic around the bottom of the shirt. I sure as heck wasn't interested in the one shouldered concotions. If it doesn't fit the dress code at the local school, I don't need to be wearing it either. I understand the concept of layering, but is too much to ask that my bra straps don't show?

You're right about the mirrors.

I almost can't get my kids to wear the clothes from there anymore. The juniors clothing doesn't meet dress code. The boys clothing is often too gaudy with big logos and pictures. My kids describe it as gang wear. They don't sell men's smalls which bridge the gap from boys to men.

Our local JCP's are attracting a lower crowd that expects to buy everything with a coupon. Honestly, I think they need to upscale the clothing again so they can attract people who don't want evrything dirt cheap.
You've mirrored my thoughts exactly. I've thought about how ridiculous it is that I wander the store for an hour not able to spend that free $10 coupon!

Too many children's clothes are trashy or gansta-like. What child needs, or should wear what look like gang symbols on hoodies? Some of the dresses in the girl's department appear styled for mini hooker wannabes. It's terrible. There has been a gradual shift downwards in the style and type of clothing they carry, and as you noted, the crowd as well.

I am still able to find materials from the home department that seem decent, but have always ordered online for those products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:07 PM

242 posts, read 244,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I think you're right. JCP was in trouble before Johnson took over as CEO, and in like 18 months, he found a way to get them into the ground faster. They totally misread and alienated their core customers, those who wanted the sales and coupons, and felt like they were getting a steal. They phased out a lot of the more conservative style clothing. He wanted to create the "Apple Boutique" but had a Kohl's customer base. I can't think of a more spectacular CEO failure than his tenure there(except maybe Carly Fiorina at HP). Once you send all of those customers elsewhere, it's very difficult to convince them to come back.
He projected poorly the importance of his company to the retail industry. Monkeys in a tree. There will always be a new monkey to climb into an empty spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business