U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:10 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,789,747 times

Advertisements

My husband and I did lawn care and mowing last summer. It got us outdoors, some good exercise and we made a very decent amount doing it! $500-1000 a month. We did mowing and mulching. The amount of hours worked was very small, maybe 10 hours or less per week.

I have also done eBay selling (use to make jewelry and sell online) did well, but once I married and we cut Internet I stopped. Made about $15-20 per piece and only had $5 total in each so decent profit. Been considering doing this again actually as well as trying to flip items(buy at a garage sale, sell on eBay) I know many do well at that.

Another one I haven't done but would like to look into is photography. No real experience but enjoy it, I know there would be much to learn so not sure if this is something I could ever pursue

One venture I would love to try is doing a vacation rental using Airbnb or similar. My husband and I owned 7 rentals(10units) but sold them recently pending a upcoming move. While we rather not get back into traditional rentals, least not right away, I would seriously considering trying the vacation rental route. This is something we would need to research and consider carefully though before trying. We are moving to SW Florida so I believe the demand is certainly there.

Last edited by Icemodeled; 05-02-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 PM

132 posts, read 93,013 times
I have a part-time job with an airline. Customer service work at the airport. Only 4-6 hours per week generally, but I get flight benefits. Let's me travel a lot more and not have to worry about spending money on flights.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,664,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Madison 999.

From the maker of the equipment, Dustless Blasting in Texas. By the pallet, it costs me $10 a 40 pound bag, plus shipping.

Jim b.
If you believe the system is healthy then more power to you. I used glass bead once. Don't have the order handy, could be the same stuff you get at twice the price (still pretty awesome price!) because I am not commercial.

Nothing on earth will convince me that glass bead is anything other than really, really damn toxic.

Not trying to start something with you, and your businesses sound awesome. But that is the same sales pitch the early custom race boat fiberglass guys gave. And then everyone was dead.

I have used glass bead. I will never use it again. That is my humble opinion. I don't need paid off scientists to know when I am breathing poisonous dust.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,226,961 times
Am a web developer on the side. I have built and own a number of smaller sites that earn me money via advertisers advertising on my sites. I also develop sites for businesses. I charge between $1k and $10k per site, depending on what they want.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 AM

5,890 posts, read 4,603,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I buy live lobsters, over the phone from Nova Scotia, and have them flown to Toronto, by air freight, and sell them to catering companies, and large hotels. My average order is 200 to 400 pounds, and that is all ways pre sold. My mark up is 40 percent above what they cost me, including the actual product, insulated boxes and dry ice packs, plus air freight costs. A one and a half pound live lobster costs me anywhere from four to seven dollars, all in. My selling price is 40 percent above that. Prices vary every day, and the season is basically spring to late fall. In December there is a big export market to France, where lobster is a Christmas treat.

I never see the lobsters, the customers pick them up at Toronto airport, and take them away. I am paid on the day after the delivery by bank transfer, and I also pay my suppliers in Nova Scotia, and Air Canada the same way. No chasing after payment....and the bank's monthly statement is a record of the business activity. I hand that and my out of pocket expenses to my accountant, monthly.

Been doing this for over 10 years.

JiM B.
Very interesting. Never heard of this...good job.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:36 PM

41,505 posts, read 50,799,326 times
I do nothing and get a decent income. Retirement is as good as I thought it would be. After working for about 60 years this is a nice payoff.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,018,865 times
I do home appraisals on the side for a web startup company that buys and sells homes. I get paid per valuation with some bonuses for accuracy based on what the homes actually sell for. This nets me between $100 and $1,000 per month depending on how many I can do in a particular month.

My wife has two Etsy shops where she makes and sells custom jewelry. She has a fancier one where she sells jewelry she makes mostly from pieces of garage sale/thrift store finds and another where she sells pendants made out of Scrabble tiles. This nets anywhere from $100 to $400 per month depending on season (Valentine's, Mother's Day, and Christmas are her busy seasons for this.

My wife also started a photography business about 6 months ago. She hasn't netted much at all from this yet but mostly because the initial startup cost is high (camera equipment and lenses aren't cheap!). She also has spent a lot initially on editing software and advertising. However, in her best month of August so far she made over $8,000 in revenue just from initial deposits and a few first payments. Once her equipment is purchased her overhead will be much lower and it could be very lucrative indeed - easily enough for her to quit her regular job and do the photography/side hustles full time.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 AM

88 posts, read 62,036 times
I originally came across this thread several months back, but I got distracted and forgot to post in here and ask for some advice/suggestions. After recently struggling financially (for most of the past several years, actually), I felt inspired to try to make an effort to reach out and try to find out more about some potential side hustle opportunities.

For the record, I'm not expecting to immediately make thousands of dollars a month. I'd be happy to make even an extra $100 in a month; as it would be $100 more than what I would normally make. Even if I could do something that might make an extra $50-$100 once in a while, I'd be happy to make that little bit of extra money. If I could sometimes make more than that in a month, that'd be great. And I'm definitely willing to work at this. I'm just wanting to point out that I would be happy to make even a little extra money, if I could find some realistic opportunities to do so.

I'm assuming that many of you on here are familiar with SlickDeals.com (which is a great site for finding deals, special sales, coupons, discount codes, etc. - and they have an app that is really useful and convenient and nice to have access to on your phone) and I check out the site/their app on a daily basis, even if it's just browsing the 'Frontpage' and 'Popular' sections to see if there are any deals that might grab my attention. Mostly, I like to check for deals on electronics, as they frequently have good-great deals on them, and I like electronics. For example, they recently had a deal for an Aukey portable Bluetooth speaker that sells on Amazon for $20, but someone had posted a discount/promo code for $8 off that price, making the speaker available for $12. It's got good ratings on Amazon and the code was available for use with multiple speakers on an individual order (which is generally not the case), so I was thinking about buying 4 of them at $12 each and then trying to sell them locally for $20 (the same price they show up at on Amazon) and making $8 profit on each speaker, while still selling them to people locally at what is a good price and would most people would be able to buy them for on Amazon.

I realize that making $8/potentially $32 total profit on the 4 speakers is not substantial, but it's a simple and convenient way to try to pick up an extra $32 for what amounts to spending a few minutes on my computer.

Sorry to write so much. I was just wanting to give an idea/example of something that I was thinking about with regards to making a few extra bucks. If some of you would like to reply and share some personal tricks of the trade, ideas or suggestions about potential side hustles or ways to make a few extra dollars, please know that it would definitely be appreciated!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:44 AM

21,844 posts, read 27,598,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
........ trying to sell them locally for $20 (the same price they show up at on Amazon) and making $8 profit on each speaker, ........!
Do you have a way to sell them for full price locally? That's the sticking point in some of the re-sale plans.

By the way $32 is nothing sneeze at. It's enough money to feed yourself for several days if you are careful with your money.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM

88 posts, read 62,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do you have a way to sell them for full price locally? That's the sticking point in some of the re-sale plans.

By the way $32 is nothing sneeze at. It's enough money to feed yourself for several days if you are careful with your money.
Hey, thanks for the reply and the encouragement! And I agree that $32 is nothing to just disregard (I could pretty much always use an extra $32); but it seems as though many/most others in this thread have made profits in the hundreds, if not, thousands, of dollars. So, I was just trying to give perspective to my situation and potential profit possibilities.

As far as re-selling the speakers for the $8 profit, I would plan on posting them on the 4-5 local Facebook Yard Sale pages for the $20 and trying to sell them that way. I've actually sold a couple other portable Bluetooth speakers, two Fire TV Sticks, and two portable battery packs/chargers this way, so I'm pretty sure that I will be able to sell them locally through this same method. I actually live in a fairly small town (about 15,000 people) that is isolated from other cities, as it's up in the mountains in central Arizona, about 75 miles north of the Phoenix area, so I'm surprised that we even have the 4-5 Yard Sale-type pages on Facebook that we do. And seeing that the local purchasing options for items like these portable Bluetooth speakers are limited (basically, Walmart would be the only store that sells stuff like that), there's often a good market to find buyers for things like this that aren't available locally and would take days to order and receive from online sources.

Do you have any side hustles you're currently using to make a little extra money from? Or any side hustle ideas or suggestions that you might want to share in this thread? If so, please feel free to share them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business