U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:32 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,175,312 times

Advertisements

Go for it. This is exactly how a lot of businesses get started. Start small, test out the market, etc.... you never know. It only takes finding ONE hot selling product to put a good amount of money in your pocket.

The one thing that successful people do, that others don't, is pull the trigger and actually do something.

Selling products is actually one of the easiest businesses to do. The hard part is finding the product and vehicle to sell it, but with the internet it is easier than ever.

Selling through local internet ads on Facebook etc... is a very good way to dig out a local niche for yourself and make a little side money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
I originally came across this thread several months back, but I got distracted and forgot to post in here and ask for some advice/suggestions. After recently struggling financially (for most of the past several years, actually), I felt inspired to try to make an effort to reach out and try to find out more about some potential side hustle opportunities.

For the record, I'm not expecting to immediately make thousands of dollars a month. I'd be happy to make even an extra $100 in a month; as it would be $100 more than what I would normally make. Even if I could do something that might make an extra $50-$100 once in a while, I'd be happy to make that little bit of extra money. If I could sometimes make more than that in a month, that'd be great. And I'm definitely willing to work at this. I'm just wanting to point out that I would be happy to make even a little extra money, if I could find some realistic opportunities to do so.

I'm assuming that many of you on here are familiar with SlickDeals.com (which is a great site for finding deals, special sales, coupons, discount codes, etc. - and they have an app that is really useful and convenient and nice to have access to on your phone) and I check out the site/their app on a daily basis, even if it's just browsing the 'Frontpage' and 'Popular' sections to see if there are any deals that might grab my attention. Mostly, I like to check for deals on electronics, as they frequently have good-great deals on them, and I like electronics. For example, they recently had a deal for an Aukey portable Bluetooth speaker that sells on Amazon for $20, but someone had posted a discount/promo code for $8 off that price, making the speaker available for $12. It's got good ratings on Amazon and the code was available for use with multiple speakers on an individual order (which is generally not the case), so I was thinking about buying 4 of them at $12 each and then trying to sell them locally for $20 (the same price they show up at on Amazon) and making $8 profit on each speaker, while still selling them to people locally at what is a good price and would most people would be able to buy them for on Amazon.

I realize that making $8/potentially $32 total profit on the 4 speakers is not substantial, but it's a simple and convenient way to try to pick up an extra $32 for what amounts to spending a few minutes on my computer.

Sorry to write so much. I was just wanting to give an idea/example of something that I was thinking about with regards to making a few extra bucks. If some of you would like to reply and share some personal tricks of the trade, ideas or suggestions about potential side hustles or ways to make a few extra dollars, please know that it would definitely be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM

88 posts, read 62,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Go for it. This is exactly how a lot of businesses get started. Start small, test out the market, etc.... you never know. It only takes finding ONE hot selling product to put a good amount of money in your pocket.

The one thing that successful people do, that others don't, is pull the trigger and actually do something.

Selling products is actually one of the easiest businesses to do. The hard part is finding the product and vehicle to sell it, but with the internet it is easier than ever.

Selling through local internet ads on Facebook etc... is a very good way to dig out a local niche for yourself and make a little side money.
Thank you very much for the encouragement! I was actually a little embarrassed to even mention trying to start out by trying to sell such relatively inexpensive items, at such a small profit margin, and buying so few of them; so it's nice to see your reply and I really appreciate it. I figured that people on here would likely say it's ridiculous or even foolish to try to buy 4 of these speakers and flip them for an $8 profit. Personally, though, I am usually struggling financially, so even making an extra $8 would be at least be a little helpful.

And if I am able to sell all 4 of the speakers and make an extra $32, that would certainly be nice to have. And to be honest, I don't want to try to take advantage of anyone, so that's why I like to try to find these deals with discount codes that make items cheaper than the advertised prices on places like Amazon, because I am still hooking someone up with what I believe is a good product at a good price.

I've actually thought about trying to sell the speakers for a few dollars more (like $25 each), being that I pay for Amazon Prime; but, like I said, I'm really not trying to take advantage of anyone. And, by selling them at the listed price on Amazon, I can use the item's Amazon page for a price reference in my listings when trying to sell them. And I actually use the monthly Amazon Prime option, where it costs $11/month, being that I usually can't afford to pay for the full year at the discounted price, which is something that I would really like to be able to do. So, if I could make an extra $100 and pay for the year of Amazon Prime, that would be really cool.

Thanks again for replying and offering the encouragement. I really do appreciate it!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:21 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,175,312 times
Stop thinking about wether you are taking advantage of someone, you aren't.

The market is driven by supply vs demand. If people are willing to pay more then what it cost you, then you sell it for more. What something costs is completely irrelevant. If people aren't willing to pay your price, then you will find out etc.... The market drives everything. What it costs you only determines if you turn a profit or not.

You are creating a competitive advantage for yourself by doing something others aren't willing to do, spending their time to seek out those deals.

This is the very nature of how capitalism works. People do this every single day buying stuff at rock bottom prices through second hand stores, craigslist, garage sales, closeouts, internet deals etc..... and then reselling.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Your sales will dictate the situation.

Also, never be embarrassed. You learn, gain experience and create opportunity for yourself by putting yourself out there. Buying only 4, is SMART. You buy 4 and if they sell within the very first hour of posting, well then, you tested the market, seems like a great idea, reinvest the money and sell even more. Much better than buying 4,000 and not being able to sell them, stuck with inventory etc... Always test the market first and then build up slowly. Of course there is always some risk, but there is no reason you need to take on more risk than is necessary.

Good luck, entrepreneurship is fun. The more you do it, the more ideas will come, the easier it will get and you will get to a point that there is no stopping you. It will become something you do as a normal part of your day.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:43 PM

70 posts, read 45,973 times
I do pretty well fishing in bass tournaments. Lots of cheating going on and the tournament itself is the only real winner. Still, it's pretty easy to place in the money or take home the bonus for the biggest single fish.

Speaking of which, why on earth isn't there a fishing section on City-Data? How big does a sport/hobby have to be for crying out loud?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 PM

5,062 posts, read 3,861,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59LP View Post
I do pretty well fishing in bass tournaments. Lots of cheating going on and the tournament itself is the only real winner. Still, it's pretty easy to place in the money or take home the bonus for the biggest single fish.

Speaking of which, why on earth isn't there a fishing section on City-Data? How big does a sport/hobby have to be for crying out loud?
how to people cheat in the tournaments? Unallowed bait or lures?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:16 AM

70 posts, read 45,973 times
Worse, using live bait the day before. Livewells aren't checked before the tourney. Anyone can have 5 bass ready from before the opening bell. The entire sport relies upon the honor system among the boating partners.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 4,912,535 times
I do pet sitting and dog walking and probably average 2-3 hours a day.

I had no experience when I started and had a minor fear of big dogs. A neighbor I was fond of had a small side business doing it and she offered to take me on as her assistant. Then she moved a month later and I took over. I'm definitely no dog trainer still, but I've been on thousands of visits by now with dozens of different dogs and cats. My husband built my website and I got the business license, registration and insurance.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:55 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,018,624 times
My wife and I have a side-business that acquires commercial and government service-oriented contracts at below-typical-market rates and then sub the labor to experienced and reliable independent contractors. The average per-hour earnings of our subs ranges from between 50 and 200 percent greater than what their same-industry counterparts in the area earn, the client pays less, and we still profit quite significantly now that the business has been built up. I feel fortunate to have been able to network with such a quality group of people.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:08 AM

88 posts, read 62,036 times
Default Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Stop thinking about wether you are taking advantage of someone, you aren't.

The market is driven by supply vs demand. If people are willing to pay more then what it cost you, then you sell it for more. What something costs is completely irrelevant. If people aren't willing to pay your price, then you will find out etc.... The market drives everything. What it costs you only determines if you turn a profit or not.

You are creating a competitive advantage for yourself by doing something others aren't willing to do, spending their time to seek out those deals.

This is the very nature of how capitalism works. People do this every single day buying stuff at rock bottom prices through second hand stores, craigslist, garage sales, closeouts, internet deals etc..... and then reselling.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Your sales will dictate the situation.

Also, never be embarrassed. You learn, gain experience and create opportunity for yourself by putting yourself out there. Buying only 4, is SMART. You buy 4 and if they sell within the very first hour of posting, well then, you tested the market, seems like a great idea, reinvest the money and sell even more. Much better than buying 4,000 and not being able to sell them, stuck with inventory etc... Always test the market first and then build up slowly. Of course there is always some risk, but there is no reason you need to take on more risk than is necessary.

Good luck, entrepreneurship is fun. The more you do it, the more ideas will come, the easier it will get and you will get to a point that there is no stopping you. It will become something you do as a normal part of your day.
Thank you very much for the advice and the encouragement! I'm curious, are you a business owner? Or do you just dabble with buying and selling random stuff occasionally? Or are you just sharing your thoughts/opinion on this topic? The reason I want to ask is because I'm assuming that you probably are a business owner or that you actually make some decent extra money by buying and reselling stuff and I was wondering if you might be willing to try to give me some more advice/suggestions? I don't mean to pry or impose; but if you are actually experienced with this buying/reselling side hustle, I would really appreciate it if you would share a little more information with me. If you don't want to share more details/personal advice, though, no worries. Like I said, I don't want to be a bother/imposition.

As for the portable Bluetooth speakers, they were delivered on Saturday, but I woke up late and didn't get around to posting them yet. I did open one of them and am actually listening to some sports talk radio (Outkick the Coverage with Clay Travis) on it right now and it seems to be a relatively good speaker that gets pretty loud. So, after reading your comments about trying to sell the speakers for what others might be willing to pay for them, and hearing that it's a good speaker, I'm thinking about posting them for $25 each, instead of $20 each. Again, I'm not trying to bilk people for the most money possible; but, if I'm not mistaken, if you're not an Amazon Prime member, the shipping on these speakers is around $12, so it would cost around $32 total with shipping. Right now, I'm just using the monthly Amazon prime service for $11/month, because I haven't had an extra $100 to be able to pay for a full year of Amazon Prime (which is a much better deal), so that's another reason why I want to try to make a little more money, so that I can try to pay for a full year of Prime and get the much better monthly rate.

By the way, I'm curious if you, or anyone else, buys stuff from Amazon, eBay, or some other online site and then resells the stuff locally? If so, does anyone want to share some information about what some of the items that they buy/resell are? The only things I've done this with are a couple portable battery packs/chargers and portable Bluetooth speakers, and this is partially due to my having an interest in electronics and having read up on these devices and actually educating myself on them, which allows me to make informed decisions about items like these to buy and then share this info. when posting them to try to sell to others. Which, again, has to do with me not wanting to sell anyone something that might be junk. I genuinely value honesty and integrity and I don't want rip anyone off, so this is something that factors in to this situation for me.

As usual, sorry for getting carried away and writing so much. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and offer me encouragement. I really appreciate it. And if you have any other advice/suggestions/encouragement, please feel free to reply again and share it. I would appreciate all that I can get!

Last edited by Arizona Renegade; 01-02-2017 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Spelling error correction

Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM

5,062 posts, read 3,861,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59LP View Post
Worse, using live bait the day before. Livewells aren't checked before the tourney. Anyone can have 5 bass ready from before the opening bell. The entire sport relies upon the honor system among the boating partners.
Sounds like it should just be done for fun. I would be angry if they allowed cheating. Maybe the competition is who cheats the best then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business