Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:28 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,594 times

Advertisements

Whats your side hustle? How did it start and how are you making out? I'm always interested to hear stories like this.

I personally attend local auctions for random goodies, score deals on craigslist, and buy and flip old motorcycles either putting them back on craigslist or ebay. Its not consistent at all, but usually good for a few extra thousand a year and I enjoy it.

I'd really like to come up with something a bit more consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Whats your side hustle? How did it start and how are you making out? I'm always interested to hear stories like this.

I personally attend local auctions for random goodies, score deals on craigslist, and buy and flip old motorcycles either putting them back on craigslist or ebay. Its not consistent at all, but usually good for a few extra thousand a year and I enjoy it.

I'd really like to come up with something a bit more consistent.
I buy and resell a lot of restaurant equipment. I own a restaurant, so I'm always on the lookout for other restaurants that go out of business. I resell must of the stuff I buy, and put to use some of it. I'm also stocking up on equipment of open a second restaurant. I generally only buy dirt cheap stuff in good condition, and then resell it at 4-10x. Last year I netted a few thousand dollars doing that. So far this year I haven't bought anything.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
When I closed up my sign business in the recession (after 16 successful years) I brought home the laser engraver/cutter. I have a handful of regular customers that order large quantities of plastic parts for their products which I make for them. It's good for about $6-10k/year in extra vacation money, but takes up most of a weekend when I get an order, about 4-5 times a year. At first I had a website and did custom items, personalizing, name badges and engraved signs. I found those small orders to be more trouble than they were worth with a full-time job now, so I took down the site and currently have no way for any new customers to find me.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times
Now they call reselling something "flipping". I enjoyed this one on:
Thrift Store Flipping – 8 Best Items to Resell for a Profit Thrift Store Flipping - 8 Best Items to Resell for a Profit

Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,594 times
I hit an auction this past weekend, ended up with some yard equipment, small boat, bike, few other little random things. Total out of pocket was $150. Should be able to sell everything for upwards of $700. Too bad those auctions don't come around more often.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
I buy live lobsters, over the phone from Nova Scotia, and have them flown to Toronto, by air freight, and sell them to catering companies, and large hotels. My average order is 200 to 400 pounds, and that is all ways pre sold. My mark up is 40 percent above what they cost me, including the actual product, insulated boxes and dry ice packs, plus air freight costs. A one and a half pound live lobster costs me anywhere from four to seven dollars, all in. My selling price is 40 percent above that. Prices vary every day, and the season is basically spring to late fall. In December there is a big export market to France, where lobster is a Christmas treat.

I never see the lobsters, the customers pick them up at Toronto airport, and take them away. I am paid on the day after the delivery by bank transfer, and I also pay my suppliers in Nova Scotia, and Air Canada the same way. No chasing after payment....and the bank's monthly statement is a record of the business activity. I hand that and my out of pocket expenses to my accountant, monthly.

Been doing this for over 10 years.

JiM B.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times
"Side Hustling" isn't just for the young. (Ways to make money)

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I buy live lobsters, over the phone from Nova Scotia, and have them flown to Toronto, by air freight, and sell them to catering companies, and large hotels. My average order is 200 to 400 pounds, and that is all ways pre sold. My mark up is 40 percent above what they cost me, including the actual product, insulated boxes and dry ice packs, plus air freight costs. A one and a half pound live lobster costs me anywhere from four to seven dollars, all in. My selling price is 40 percent above that. Prices vary every day, and the season is basically spring to late fall. In December there is a big export market to France, where lobster is a Christmas treat.

I never see the lobsters, the customers pick them up at Toronto airport, and take them away. I am paid on the day after the delivery by bank transfer, and I also pay my suppliers in Nova Scotia, and Air Canada the same way. No chasing after payment....and the bank's monthly statement is a record of the business activity. I hand that and my out of pocket expenses to my accountant, monthly.

Been doing this for over 10 years.

JiM B.
Jim, that's an interesting 'side hustle'
I'm guessing that the catering companies are not able to get the same discount price because , you are buying in bulk?
What makes this especially appealing is that you don't have to handle the product (Lobsters)
It's similar to how some online sellers use dropping , the get the order from their customer and then have the supplier mail the product to the customer.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Now they call reselling something "flipping". I enjoyed this one on:
Thrift Store Flipping – 8 Best Items to Resell for a Profit Thrift Store Flipping - 8 Best Items to Resell for a Profit
Yeah there is a whole Flipping subreddit , not sure if you have seen it before.
I go on there pretty often. It's interesting. Most people are talking about buying items from thrift stores and reselling, but people also buy from other places to resell too like retail stores, yard sales, auctions,etc.

It's a very active forum
https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/

Moat of the people are doing it as a 'side hustle' but there are several that actually do this full time.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I like to flip stocks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business