Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,149,996 times

Advertisements

As I sit here in my cubicle. My goodness. 4 years in and this is by far the worst decision I've made in my life. Sure it pays well, but this is the most mindless, robotic, mundane, un passionate work ever. Literally the same **** every day and I can't take it anymore.

I have no idea how people do this for most of their lives. How do you stay motivated in this type of work. I'm at the point where I hope they lay me off so I can figure things out and find something better. Sitting here at my desk and seeing all these drones around me, I just think to myself what a waste of life this is.

I sit here, looking out my window and seeing the planes coming and going from the airport. There's more life out there. What the **** was I thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 PM

55 posts, read 97,315 times
Have you considered a side gig? A few hours consulting, or a blog & subscription email list? It sounds like your creativity is being stifled and you need an entrepreneurial outlet.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Some people make it 30-40 years in that kind of job. I don't know whether their motivation to eat and have a roof over the head is enough, or they find some way to think of their work as actually contributing to society, but many are happy and even sad to retire. At the very least, you could speak to your boss about increased responsibility, or just taking on more work so you have no time to be bored. If you have gone 4 years without a promotion, it may be time to try somewhere else.

I once made it 17 years at the same place, but had 5 promotions over that time, with different work each time. Even then I eventually left when I reached an apparent dead end.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
I've worked for myself for 23 years. There's no way I'd ever put the yoke on again.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
I think that saying "corporate work" is a bit too general. Lots of people work for corporations in all kinds of settings, doing all kinds of work.

Is it just that you work in a office setting? Or is it the actual work you do?

I have always worked for corporations, and I stay with each company 10+ years, moving up every couple of years or so. I usually always have stimulating work, and opportunities to make a difference and solve problems in my own way.

"Corporate" does not equal a mindless hive of drones.

I also think that "working for the man" as opposed to being self-employed is underrated. I may work for "the man," but
--I don't have to worry about putting aside money to pay my own taxes quarterly; the payroll dept handles that for me.
--I don't have to research and buy and support my own technology; the IT dept does that for me.
--I have a 401(k) with employer matching; good luck getting someone to match whatever you put into your independent IRA
--My health insurance is $40 a month with good coverage; good luck finding that on the marketplace
--I don't have to buy or rent real estate for my own workplace; I have a climate-controlled nice building to go to that someone else has to worry about
--I know my exact income and the exact day it will appear in my bank account. No estimating what I might earn each month or quarter, and then being wrong.
--If I were doing therapy independently, I'd have to pay a ton of money for my own malpractice insurance. Working for a corporation, it's paid for me.
--Lots of continuing ed. training is required for my career. But since I work for a corporation, that's all provided for me for free, or I get reimbursed when I chose to go to outside trainings.
--I get to write and develop policies that outline what I feel are the best ways to do things, and other people have to follow them

Excitement, to me, is not something one needs to pursue or expect in one's job. That's what a personal life is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business