Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 AM

121 posts, read 74,692 times

Advertisements

I want to sell a product (shoes) online. In the long-term I want to design and offer my own line, but in the short-term I will buy them wholesale. Would it be better to start my company on Ebay, Amazon or some similar site, or should I start from the beginning with my own web presence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
If you want to build a customer mailing list, to eventually drive customers to a stand-alone online web store, you would do better starting at eBay rather than Amazon. Amazon does not allow any branding whatsoever, you can't even put a business card or a branded invoice in with your packages when you ship to the customer.

eBay is more lenient in that regard. You can develop your brand with eBay, up to a point. The only thing you can't do is have a direct link from your eBay listing to your online store. But you can include any marketing materials you want in the package when you send it to the customer.

So (to answer your question), in my opinion it would be better to start on eBay - rather than your own website - because eBay already has a built in customer base. You build that base, then you start inviting them to your online store, with coupons (visit my website and get 10% off any order!) included in their eBay order, or similar promotions.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:10 AM

121 posts, read 74,692 times
Thank you!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
If you want to build a customer mailing list, to eventually drive customers to a stand-alone online web store, you would do better starting at eBay rather than Amazon.
True.

You can't sell shoes on Amazon without being approved for the category. You won't get approval without manufacturer invoices, meaning you can't buy shoes at retail outlets and re-sell them on Amazon. There's a long list of other requirements and restrictions as well.

Building a web store is easy. Driving traffic to it is difficult and expensive.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
Ebay has built-in traffic which will help you get started. But shoppers there are usually looking for bargains - and bargains on bargains.

If you're serious about building your brand, you should be working on your own independent website (Shopify is one excellent way to get started) at the same time you're selling on Ebay because it takes a long time to get traffic to your own site. The earlier you start your own site, the sooner you can build a customer base outside Ebay.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:36 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
larali,
Sell something other than shoes too, not enough mark up in shoes.
Sell some specialty items, like mabey evening bags, some jewelry, hair jewlery,
you get the idea.
See what sells the most.
Shoes won't really give you the money you want, and you will be surprised
how the other stuff moves, and you won't get discouraged.
Get moving, the Christmas season is right around the corner.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larali View Post
I want to sell a product (shoes) online. In the long-term I want to design and offer my own line, but in the short-term I will buy them wholesale. Would it be better to start my company on Ebay, Amazon or some similar site, or should I start from the beginning with my own web presence?
eBay. You need to use your time on what you know. Those commercials that would have you believing that it's easy to run a website isn't telling the truth, it is much more involved and very costly. if that were not true then there would be no such thing as eBay.

Name brand and reputation, focus on serving your customer, later you may be able to do the website but wouldn't you rather spend time selling instead of working on a website?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Try Shopify.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
eBay, Amazon and a Shopify site. Amazon is a great way to build reviews and build a business. eBay is great for acquiring customers. Never rely on a third party ie eBay or AMazon, always have something independent which you control as eBay and Amazon can suspend your account for no reason or change algorithms and send your items to the bottom of searches.

The ultimate goal of eBay and Amazon should be to drive traffic to an ecommerce website you own and control.

Also keep in mind your entering a very competitive industry and shoes are an item with a high rate of returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business