Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,499,866 times

Advertisements

I see this going out of business like Montgomery Wards.

Sears and Kmart, once America's leading retailers, are bleeding cash and shutting down stores as once-loyal shoppers abandon them in droves.

Sears' sales have dropped from $41 billion in 2000 to $15 billion in 2015.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/g...223033047.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:29 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,038,860 times
People without jobs don't buy much stuff.
Businesses these days hate to have employees, but then they wonder why they have few customers anymore. Do they have any idea where most customers get their money from?

I'm unemployed. I have a degree but I'm either overqualified or underqualified for everything I apply for. I have some savings and pull a few extra bucks in here and there. I've gone very frugal. I have only a few basic bills, and no debt. I only buy a few necessities, at a yard sale if I can find them there. I'm really liking the frugal simple life and doubt I will inflate my lifestyle if I ever get a decent job again.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,692,233 times
I have been to K-mart a couple of times in the past year. Seems like the checkout procedure takes twice as long as it does at Wal-mart. Am I a rewards member? No. Would you like to join our rewards program? No.
(HINT- If I was a member I would present my card. If I was interested in being a "member" I would have done so already. Just ring me up and let me get out of the freaking store.) Then AFTER you buy they have to print out three or four pieces of paper with your receipt.

I hate Wal-mart too but at least they are quick moving you out of the checkout line.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,031,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I see this going out of business like Montgomery Wards.

Sears and Kmart, once America's leading retailers, are bleeding cash and shutting down stores as once-loyal shoppers abandon them in droves.

Sears' sales have dropped from $41 billion in 2000 to $15 billion in 2015.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/g...223033047.html
There are several reasons I don't shop at K-Mart. #1, Wal-mart and Target generally offer better prices than K-Mart. #2, even when I do find a bargain, I generally change my mind when I realize how slowly the checkout lines are moving. I've never seen a store with lines that move as slowly as K-Mart's! I'll pay an extra 50¢ or $1 for something rather than spend 20 minutes waiting in line with only two people ahead of me!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:13 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,344,885 times
Plus Sears destroyed its own brands, craftsman now mostly made in China junk but for the same price the better USA stuff was. They turned the tool department into "well maybe if harbor freight is closed we'll go to Sears"

Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 AM

193 posts, read 182,609 times
We had a nice mall with a very nice Sears store. It left several years ago, the mall is in bad shape now. Our Kmart just closed a few weeks ago. I liked going there over Wal-Mart just because it wasn't so busy. We had two alco stores close too. All that is left is walmart, target, Lowe's and home depot.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,292,621 times
The article explains the Exodus from Sears within the first few paragraphs - Home Depot and Lowes.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:06 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,076,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
There are several reasons I don't shop at K-Mart. #1, Wal-mart and Target generally offer better prices than K-Mart. #2, even when I do find a bargain, I generally change my mind when I realize how slowly the checkout lines are moving. I've never seen a store with lines that move as slowly as K-Mart's! I'll pay an extra 50¢ or $1 for something rather than spend 20 minutes waiting in line with only two people ahead of me!
Walmart has junk. K-mart has better sales and more of them.. Sears has great sales and the products are much better.. Hope Depot has knock offs of a cheaper made product with the brand name such as John Deere lawn mowers etc. John Deere will not honor product bought at Home Depot.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:43 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,031,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Walmart has junk. K-mart has better sales and more of them.. Sears has great sales and the products are much better.. Hope Depot has knock offs of a cheaper made product with the brand name such as John Deere lawn mowers etc. John Deere will not honor product bought at Home Depot.
The problem with K-mart, by the time you actually get to the register the sale has ended. The lines at K-Mart make shopping there an unpleasant experience every time. I don't care how good a deal an item is; if I have to wait half an hour just to pay for it, I'm not buying it.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 PM

15,445 posts, read 21,289,268 times
Large retailers are like automobile brands and models. Most younger people (the ones who spend money) are always seeking change not only in their cars but also in the places they shop.

If it hasn't started downhill already, Walmart will eventually go the same way as new names and places to shop come on the scene. It's a bit like Elvis trying to remain relevant in a changing world of music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business