U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 PM

105 posts, read 325,611 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right forum.

I ordered an item and am having it shipped to my condo. It was suppose to be delivered today but when I check the status it has this message below. I was home today until 1130am. Why would it say "...business was closed." when I was having it delivered to my condo?

No package slip on my door. No package slip in my mailbox. Nothing.

No, we don't have an office at my condo complex.

Any idea?

From the tracking....
"Your item is being held at the Post Office in BEAVERTON, OR 97003 on September 30, 2016 at 11:18 am because the business was closed. The item will be delivered the next delivery day that the business is open. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 04:18 PM

1,202 posts, read 674,475 times
goto the post office and pick it up or wait for it to be delivered again. post office is lazy nothing they do surprises me.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
goto the post office and pick it up or wait for it to be delivered again. post office is lazy nothing they do surprises me.
Doesn't specify which post office it's at. And I'm still confused why it says "business closed" when I live in a condo. And was home at 11:18 this morning.

Last edited by Ty0604; 09-30-2016 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 09-30-2016, 04:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 706,205 times
I live in a condo in NJ and sometimes get this, although usually not from the USPS. I'd get it from FedEx ground or another delivery service. It usually means they can't find the address for some reason. I admit where I live is tough, although it did get better using a GPS after the 2010 census, because the GPS'd every address in the US.
You could try going to the Post Office with the tracking number and see if you can pick it up tomorrow. You just have to find the one that sorts the mail for your address. There are 4 post offices in my town but the one that sorts my mail and where I'd have to pick up a certified letter or something is not the one closest to my home.
Unfortunately 1 lazy postal person gives the whole crew a bad rep. Usually in my case it's a substitute that won't ring the doorbell, just puts the notice in the box, etc. It also seems when you call the local postmaster they seem indifferent.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:42 PM

Just spent 40 minutes on the phone with the USPS. They said it was scanned wrong and will be redelivered tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 2,641,813 times
The reason is that in higher cost of living areas the postal service can not retain the staffing necessary for its workload. But then lower level supervisors work on a near zero tolerance basis. They need to show a scan for every piece. So on the theory that they might get caught cheating but they will get caught missing a scan everybody in the service cheats and lies since the penalty is identical for a line supervisor. Only now due to new technology you see the lie before the next higher level of management does.

It is a matter of the software of the postal scanner that reporting a business closed is the easiest way to falsify a scan. Postal districts with the most complaints about false scans thus order their carriers to drop parcels off unsecured in front of closed businesses

Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 PM

A second reason is that the service now accepts parcels that are larger and heavier than a carrier or his vehicle can handle. You will see pieces marked as team lift, but when have you ever seen a team of letter carriers like you will soon see two people on most UPS and FedEx Ground trucks? Again scanning business closed is easier than scanning as notice left and it is easier to hide from an audit should the piece be endorsed as leave if no response.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
A second reason is that the service now accepts parcels that are larger and heavier than a carrier or his vehicle can handle. You will see pieces marked as team lift, but when have you ever seen a team of letter carriers like you will soon see two people on most UPS and FedEx Ground trucks? Again scanning business closed is easier than scanning as notice left and it is easier to hide from an audit should the piece be endorsed as leave if no response.
My favorite is our UPS driver. She's a petite girl. 5'2" and maybe 110lbs. She's had to have me come out and help her carry my package a few times. Makes me wonder what she does when there's no one around to help.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:29 PM

Come the Christmas rush most UPS drivers have a seasonal assistant. And they carry gear that a letter carrier doesn't for heavier loads

Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Come the Christmas rush most UPS drivers have a seasonal assistant. And they carry gear that a letter carrier doesn't for heavier loads
Ours never has. We have more drivers. So 3 or 4 trucks instead of 1 or 2 come through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or