Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The only person I know running an MLM business is a friend in an Energy MLM - gas/electric. It's a side business and he claims he's doing very well financially with it. He has recruited a number of salespeople under him, but not sure how many, or even if he's as profitable as he claims.
A lot of 'fake it until you make it' in MLM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:03 AM

106,659 posts, read 108,810,853 times
be careful of any marketing scheme that makes more money by bringing in others than they do from the sale of products . many force you to buy all kinds of products you can't sell in order to get on board . your only hope of making money is getting others to do the same .

Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Regardless of whether or not it can be legally considered a "pyramid scheme", or otherwise counted as a scam, I am of the opinion that it is a scam and pyramid scheme.
This blog here may be rough around the edges with some cursing, but I've found the entries here to be quite true....
Married to an Ambot

As far as my experiences go...
I got recruited once by an ex-coworker. First off, the email he sent to me was just phony sounding. Not quite to the ridiculousness of the Nigerian Prince scam, but it reminded me of that none of the less. No mention of what the job will be (it'll all be explained when you go!), salary, what the job roles are, nor any of the companies (I'm sure some of them are instructed NOT to mention Amway nor Quixstar by name for fear of turning off potential recruits).

The "intro meeting" was in a hotel town hall room. The encourage newcomers to sit up front, and have some guy talking in a "feel good" approach. They mention how great Amazon is because if a product doesn't sell anymore, that's fine because they'll just stock stuff that does! They're flexible! This told me nothing about what they did. They get a bit into the business (how scientists have done their science to make sure their products are great, blah blah blah). It felt creepy because the people and what would've been my upline talk to you like a woman who's only interested in spending your money, or for the ladies, a guy who's only being nice to use you and have sex with you. Here, the vibe is they only care about you signing up, and getting your money. If you need any help, you can't count on them. The damn 50 minute meeting could've been shortened to a few minutes. Oh, they also tell you to dress up in business attire, but wearing a suit and tie is truly overcompensating for this sort of thing.

I was unemployed at the time and got suckered into attending another one of these. Mostly similar BS.

Research online confirmed my suspicion... Those that are making a killing in Amway were those who started decades ago when there were far downlines to recruit. Other posters are right... this "business" requires you to get mucho downlines. If you buy your own product, you will go broke. Also decades ago, word didn't get out as much that this was bull. There was no internet to quickly spread the word. I'd be pretty much reduced to cold calling relatives and friends trying to convince to be downlines, but either being ridiculed to my face or behind my back, or have to BS my way around their concerns that they've done their research, or nothing makes sense, but have to try to cover it up.

I suck at sales, but I don't have any grievances against those that go into sales. However, to call this a sales job is just pathetic... consider other sales jobs, as their commissions would pay you more, and even if you have to use some up to very deceitful tactics, at least you'll make better of yourself in those sales positions.

Some of the uplines have even told them to quit their day jobs for more time to devote to the "business", and/or reverse mortgage their houses for more money to put into the "business". Red flags right there. The former is something that gets you a much more steady paycheck, at for most people, at worse pays MW (of which if pick up a $10 to $50 check per month in Amway, it's before you count the money you spent in fees and product). The latter is dangerous b/c for most of us, our homes are one of the most valuable assets.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
There are some on the 'women's' side of MLM that are pretty legit- Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, possibly Lulu LaRoe, etc. But in terms of earnings, most people I've known who sell them are realistic aboutit being a side job making enough for better birthday presents for their kids or getting a few things for the house rather than it being a full time job where you're chasing the pink Cadillac.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

Old 11-17-2016, 04:46 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
If you have never been self-employed or have never owned a business, then a MLM is an relatively inexpensive way to get some business training and get a feel of economics.

YMMV

Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
If you have never been self-employed or have never owned a business, then a MLM is an relatively inexpensive way to get some business training and get a feel of economics.

YMMV
Can't speak for other MLMs, but the only thing in Amway that closely resembles a business is sales... In getting people to be your downline. It's a far cry from the work you do in say, running your restaurant, consulting company, etc. At least in those situations, you call the straits, like seeing your own policies, prices, schedule, and not to mention not being hounded by uplines to attend useless meetings and buy sham training material.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Isnt MLM just a ponzi scheme but with some tweaking to make it legal?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 17,430 times
I think most people get sucked into an MLM company by the sales pitch, then find that the ones who got in on the ground floor, years ago, are the only ones making any money.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:08 AM

578 posts, read 458,589 times
No its a scam and you wont make money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business