Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times

Advertisements

But did it all surface rightvaway, or was there s big delay....20 years for me...no liens, no certified mail..not a damn thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
What about going directly to a "taxpayer advocate"? Or straight to the Board of equalization? I'm 14 hours later, soon to be 15, and would like to start with the best place....but I will have a look at the Governor's Office. I hate getting bounced, especially after a long hold.
You don't have to wait on hold for someone. A recording will tell you if the waiting period is long and ask if you'd like someone to call you back? It works. Did for me. Word of advice. The office opens at 7:30 am pst. Call immediately at that time. Chances are you'll be able to speak with someone right away and if not, you can have them call you back, which will usually be in 15 minutes. It does work, though.
Spoiler
(916) 845-7044

Old 11-06-2016, 07:35 PM

545 posts, read 513,517 times
The FTB is worse than the IRS and they WILL confiscate your checking account if you don't pay. Just pay them on time and if you do not, you have to file and then call them and work with them on a payment plan.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:48 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
How many people would actually know in April, if they are moving out of the State in the near future?

,,, and I am disappointed that the citizens of California are tolerating the seizure of assets without anything coming close to Due Process.
I would think that if you were in CA in April of the year, then you should file a return for CA for that year, even if its a part year resident or if you did not earn enough to have to file. And mark it as your final return. It lets CA know you are leaving and have filed the last return so if they have an issue they can then tell you immediately instead of giving you a refund or whatever.

I am guessing that the folks living in CA do not care as it does not affect them. And the folks that left CA have NOTHING they can do about it.

I have only researched this as I am moving out of CA next year and do not want them looking for me in 29 years with their hand out! They have unlimited statue of limitation on what they call fraud...and at best its a mistake that can not be proven as its too old for the individual to figure out.

Last edited by lae60; 11-06-2016 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-06-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You don't have to wait on hold for someone. A recording will tell you if the waiting period is long and ask if you'd like someone to call you back? It works. Did for me. Word of advice. The office opens at 7:30 am pst. Call immediately at that time. Chances are you'll be able to speak with someone right away and if not, you can have them call you back, which will usually be in 15 minutes. It does work, though.
Spoiler
(916) 845-7044
Doesn't work if you are overseas.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I would think that if you were in CA in April of the year, then you should file a return for CA for that year, even if its a part year resident or if you did not earn enough to have to file. And mark it as your final return. It lets CA know you are leaving and have filed the last return so if they have an issue they can then tell you immediately instead of giving you a refund or whatever.

I am guessing that the folks living in CA do not care as it does not affect them. And the folks that left CA have NOTHING they can do about it.

I have only researched this as I am moving out of CA next year and do not want them looking for me in 29 years with their hand out! They have unlimited statue of limitation on what they call fraud...and at best its a mistake that can not be proven as its too old for the individual to figure out.
1997 is not an issue, which is, of course, when I filed 1996.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
I sent the following questions to them on their website about 1 or 2 years ago:

1. Is there any way a taxpayer can find out online if they owe any money for past years?
2. How many years in the past can they find out about, when they look online?
3. How many years do you keep holding tax refunds to pay past years? For example, if someone owed money 20 or 30 years ago, would you still be keeping their tax refunds every year to pay that?

In their reply, they said:

When a tax payer has an existing myFTB account, the balance due can be viewed. This can be viewed up to ten years with a balance.
Beginning July 1, 2006, a 20 year statute of limitations was created on the collection of income or franchise tax from individuals and business entities for liabilities that are due and payable before, on, or after that date.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:35 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
However, I found on their website (link below) that FTB can go back as many years as they want to if they feel a return should have been filed.
But just because they can assess tax for a year with no return, does that mean they can go beyond the statute of limitations to collect that tax? Or does the statute of limitations start over when they assess the tax? Keep in mind that you can't use logic to determine such things. In that kind of dispute, logic gets trumped by rules, and tax agencies don't always obey rules until you point those rules out to them.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:46 AM

They have clearly been making up the rules as they go along. In some cases it was stated that they claim they can restart the clock by simply adding on a 35 USD collection fee. Meanwhile, I have moved money out of any bank with a presence in California. I hope to see them in court in my State, when they attempt to domesticate any judgement, which has not been filed, in California, either. I sense a bit of quid pr quo between BAC and WFC (and some others). In exchange for California allowing them to rob people blind on fees and engage in other unscrupulous tactics (that have been well documented), those banks open up the accounts of people on very old delinquent lists and let them loot. Withdraw 100 USD from an ATM with your BAC card in a foreign country, you will get about 80 USD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business