Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

I work in investments and can do my job anywhere. I live in Oklahoma City and want to move back to Atlanta so I can have a personal life. I manage 2 people. I know I can do this remotely, but my company doesn't agree. They think I have to physically be here. I don't have a lot of client meetings and could manage my accounts from anywhere and fly back (Atlanta to OKC is a 2 hr direct flight) every couple of months or whatever. So my question is, how do I present this to my company? I need to anticipate and have an answer for all their objections. How should I approach this? I know working remotely is commonplace in corporate America, and my company is just not progressive. Bottom line is this would make me happier, and thus a better employee if I could live where I want. Suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:18 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Have you read the 4 hour workweek? He talks about this very subject.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Of the people I've known that worked at home remotely, over time, they become less and less necessary to the company. When a workforce reduction happens the remote workers would always get the axe first, no matter how good they were.

The other employees get jealous and start harping at your work and you will not know about it and can't defend yourself and this does affect management decisions about you. There's something about physical closeness that softens the bosses view of your work. Don't be lured into thinking how great remote working is to your future.

Just beware of this before you jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Besides, I don't know why you can't have a personal life at your companies location.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Of the people I've known that worked at home remotely, over time, they become less and less necessary to the company. When a workforce reduction happens the remote workers would always get the axe first, no matter how good they were.

The other employees get jealous and start harping at your work and you will not know about it and can't defend yourself and this does affect management decisions about you. There's something about physical closeness that softens the bosses view of your work. Don't be lured into thinking how great remote working is to your future.

Just beware of this before you jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Besides, I don't know why you can't have a personal life at your companies location.
Good points, and I've thought about that.

Regarding my personal life, you must not know anything about Oklahoma City. Its bad enough that after 4 years of effort, I'm actively looking elsewhere so I can realize my personal goals.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I work in investments
The company may have to do multiple registrations (cost money) based on where you are physically located, where your client files are physically located, and where your "sales" and "advisory" communications are originating from. They may also have to establish (cost money) certain compliance oversights because of your new location.

If you can research what may be involved with being a remote worker in that industry, it can help guide you as to what may really be the sticking point.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I get that your own work can be done all online, but how are you going to manage two other people if you are not there to see what they are doing?

If you are such a valuable and reliable employee that you could be trusted to work remotely, I suggest that you start applying for jobs in the city you prefer to work in. Someone else will hire you. Everyone likes to hire competent, reliable, valuable employees, so you should not have problem finding another job.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I get that your own work can be done all online, but how are you going to manage two other people if you are not there to see what they are doing?

If you are such a valuable and reliable employee that you could be trusted to work remotely, I suggest that you start applying for jobs in the city you prefer to work in. Someone else will hire you. Everyone likes to hire competent, reliable, valuable employees, so you should not have problem finding another job.
Managing people from another city is common these days. There are ways to do it.

Your other point is a good one, but doesn't work for what I do. 2016 was spent flying to Atlanta and interviewing. No offers. The market I work in is going through a weird time, and mostly just value sales guys in Atlanta and all over, really.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
In truth? Do your job far better than someone else who comes into the office and works a 9-5 routine. As someone who works out of my house and hires people who also work out of their house, it's always an iffy proposition to find someone with real work ethic.

In terms of sheer productivity, I can completely lap someone who goes into the office, chiefly because office life is filled to the rafters with meaningless BS. Unnecessary meetings, people dropping by your office to gossip, you name it. One thing I learned early on is that I can get more done in 3-4 hours than I could in 8-10 hours in an office.

That being said, there are several critical factors to make it work:

1) Accessibility. When you first work remotely, you might as well be working on the surface of Pluto to people in your office. Rather than stroll into your office, they suddenly have to figure out when to communicate with you and how. So, especially in the first few months, you have to be hyper-aware to the needs of anyone to whom you answer. Because the worst feeling a manager has is one of not having control over a situation -- which is distinctly different than having control over you. So when that call comes in from the office, drop what you're doing and answer it. Answer those e-mails right away. Be incredibly engaged with all the team members.

2) Do not miss deadlines. Instead be ahead of the curve in terms of getting things done. If something is due by EOD, get it to people first thing that morning to get input. That way, you're demonstrating higher levels of efficiency and effectiveness than had you parked your butt in a cubicle.

3) Continue networking with team members. That means lunch, after hours occasions, whatever. People do business with people. And if you're absent from those million little interactions, you have to make the ones you have count.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In truth? Do your job far better than someone else who comes into the office and works a 9-5 routine. As someone who works out of my house and hires people who also work out of their house, it's always an iffy proposition to find someone with real work ethic.

In terms of sheer productivity, I can completely lap someone who goes into the office, chiefly because office life is filled to the rafters with meaningless BS. Unnecessary meetings, people dropping by your office to gossip, you name it. One thing I learned early on is that I can get more done in 3-4 hours than I could in 8-10 hours in an office.

That being said, there are several critical factors to make it work:

1) Accessibility. When you first work remotely, you might as well be working on the surface of Pluto to people in your office. Rather than stroll into your office, they suddenly have to figure out when to communicate with you and how. So, especially in the first few months, you have to be hyper-aware to the needs of anyone to whom you answer. Because the worst feeling a manager has is one of not having control over a situation -- which is distinctly different than having control over you. So when that call comes in from the office, drop what you're doing and answer it. Answer those e-mails right away. Be incredibly engaged with all the team members.

2) Do not miss deadlines. Instead be ahead of the curve in terms of getting things done. If something is due by EOD, get it to people first thing that morning to get input. That way, you're demonstrating higher levels of efficiency and effectiveness than had you parked your butt in a cubicle.

3) Continue networking with team members. That means lunch, after hours occasions, whatever. People do business with people. And if you're absent from those million little interactions, you have to make the ones you have count.
Great advice, especially the accessibility point. Part of my pitch involves networking in a city I know really well (Atlanta) vs. networking in a very cliquish town where if you didn't go to college with someone, they want nothing to do with you (Oklahoma City).

I know I can do this, but convincing my company is another thing entirely. I have 3 months to put something together, so starting on it now.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 PM

79 posts, read 219,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I work in investments and can do my job anywhere. I live in Oklahoma City and want to move back to Atlanta so I can have a personal life. I manage 2 people. I know I can do this remotely, but my company doesn't agree. They think I have to physically be here. I don't have a lot of client meetings and could manage my accounts from anywhere and fly back (Atlanta to OKC is a 2 hr direct flight) every couple of months or whatever. So my question is, how do I present this to my company? I need to anticipate and have an answer for all their objections. How should I approach this? I know working remotely is commonplace in corporate America, and my company is just not progressive. Bottom line is this would make me happier, and thus a better employee if I could live where I want. Suggestions welcome.
when you work remotely you can become a contractor meaning the company won't have to pay for insurance among other things, they will be saving money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business