Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 PM

79 posts, read 219,597 times

Advertisements

I made so many mistakes when I started a business years ago, it cost me thousands of dollars, stress and the sense of failure.

I am starting another business, I am fully employed at the moment but thats not what I want to do. I have a couple of business ideas but don't have the time to do the market research. Is there any company or people I can hire who can do this for me?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 PM

432 posts, read 343,178 times
You can try Small Business Administration which is free.

Make sure your business is well funded because it can take years for it to get established. And learn from your mistakes.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 AM

79 posts, read 219,597 times
thank u but little confuse, you mean i can hire them? as mentioned earlier, i have no time to do the market research.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM

432 posts, read 343,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda1 View Post
thank u but little confuse, you mean i can hire them? as mentioned earlier, i have no time to do the market research.
As I said, the SBA is free. You don't hire them. They may refer you on to market research organizations in your area. You can try an internet search, but I think the SBA route is better.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda1 View Post
I have a couple of business ideas but don't have the time to do the market research.
Is there any company or people I can hire who can do this for me?
Absolutely. But doing a really good job will cost a small fortune.

Focus instead on compiling data that already exists. Library research.
The SBA is a great source for people who already understand the business reasons
why you need to to discern between X and Y and how that w/could influence Z.

A good university might work as well. With the assistance of a dept head
you could recruit some bright young low cost minds to spend the time needed.

See your lawyer first though to put together a non disclosure agreement
(among twenty other things).

hth

Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The biggest mistake, and cause for failure is not having enough working capital when starting off. I would suggest doing the research to determine the cost of starting the business and your living expenses for a year, and save that up before considering any new venture.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The biggest mistake, and cause for failure is not having enough working capital when starting off.
My CPA father said: The second biggest mistake is having too much capital.

However much cash you have or don't... reserve some for the exit plan.
And have the exit plan before you even start.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
If you don't have time to do market research, then you don't have time to run a business. Because having a very clear understanding of your market -- And, by that, figuring out that market's unmet need -- is paramount.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Yes, of course, you can hire market research done for you. It is quite expensive.

SBA has a lot of facts that you can access and put together your own marketing plan. Just for a start, they can tell you what size population is needed to support the differing types of businesses. It's quick to see if the area is already adequately served so that any customer you get has to be cannibalized from an existing business. Those are sometimes tough customers to acquire, unless all the existing businesses are badly run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business