Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:35 AM

909 posts, read 545,397 times

Advertisements

Historical trends are changing.

Jobs data could signal shortage of qualified workers to hire | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
What a bunch of bs. All of these coo's etc that claim they can't find workers what a joke. I have yet to see one where the problem was anything other than crap pay, crap environment, crap or no benefits, etc etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
or crappy workers who can't pass drug tests , back ground checks , credit checks where needed or can't get a decent recommendation .

Old 06-07-2017, 04:40 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
or crappy workers who can't pass drug tests , back ground checks , credit checks where needed or can't get a decent recommendation .
Drug testing is a joke. Easily cheated and for coke and meth heads not even necessary to cheat.

Background checks cause hiring managers to lose all common sense. Sometimes even firing people with years of service and excellent performance over nonsense.

And not passing a drug test or ridiculous background check has nothing to do with how good a worker is.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
despite what you think about it , your opinion does not mean a thing . , all those tests are still used by most major employers today . not passing can make you un-employable as well as unemployable for the better jobs ..

it is what it is !

Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There will be a shortage of qualified workers soon. As a manager (will be 65 in a few weeks) one of my duties is continuity planning. At about the time I retire in 3-5 years my boss and one of my direct reports will go. There is a director, manager, and analyst vacating at the same time. With the many years of specific experience required for all of these jobs, there will be difficulty finding replacements. For myself and my subordinate, I am developing two of my better people to be able to take over. That will create openings below, which require only 2-3 years experience and pay in the $60-60k range. There are similar situations all over this place, with 2,000 employees, and as many as 1/4 of retiring in the next 5-10 years.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post

Or are employers just being too picky?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There will be a shortage of qualified workers soon. As a manager (will be 65 in a few weeks) one of my duties is continuity planning. At about the time I retire in 3-5 years my boss and one of my direct reports will go. There is a director, manager, and analyst vacating at the same time. With the many years of specific experience required for all of these jobs, there will be difficulty finding replacements. For myself and my subordinate, I am developing two of my better people to be able to take over. That will create openings below, which require only 2-3 years experience and pay in the $60-60k range. There are similar situations all over this place, with 2,000 employees, and as many as 1/4 of retiring in the next 5-10 years.

There might be a shortage of qualified full time workers. I cannot work a five-day eight-hour-shift job (weekday daytime medical appointments, no car/transportation for swing and grave shifts) but I could definitely work 40 flex hours OR a five-day half-time job. Why am I seeing all these ads seeking full time shift workers? As far as I am concerned, employers shouldn't complain about a shortage of qualified workers when there are applicants like me available.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

And exactly what "employer need" is there for an applicant to pass a credit check? What relevance does a 15-year-old credit event have to do with employability?

It is what it is but I have no sympathy for employers who complain about their inability to find good workers when people like me are frantically waving their hands. At least my employer didn't let unfixable bad credit from getting in the way of hiring me.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:18 PM

482 posts, read 399,092 times
There it is again -- The Myth of the Unqualified American.

When we look at our having a population of approximately 325 million, near universal literacy, the largest number of elite universities worldwide, and many cutting edge corporations in sectors like technology and energy, I find it extremely hard to believe that the vast majority of job openings would not be perfect fits for any of the currently unemployed Americans.

No I'm not advocating for closed borders; I love immigrants and the different skill sets they frequently contribute to our economy. But it's offensive that many major corporations often deliberately reject qualified domestic applicants, then blame the applicants themselves for the rejection.

Two of the primary mistakes employers make are excessive outsourcing of HR functions, and requiring experience for entry-level positions.

Many large companies will only consider candidates who are first vetted by an external recruiter (whose vetting may be entirely subjective), then are able to get through the online application without being flagged for automatic rejection by the software. Qualified people often can't get hired because many companies have no internal leaders or HR professionals reviewing applications; applicants may have years of relevant experience on their resumes and still get rejected simply for lacking an adequate quantity of industry-related key words in their work histories.

The other issue is interviewers will often ask about experience for jobs that are low-paying and entry-level. Applicants are then stuck in the famous Catch-22 where they cannot get hired because they do not have experience, but they cannot get experience because no one will hire them without prior experience.

A third thing I want to add is most employers appear to have open biases against out-of-area domestic candidates. They reason that it's much easier, cheaper and more convenient for everyone involved to give local candidates priority in hiring. While this may be generally true, in cases where no local candidates pan out it would certainly be easier to hire someone from across the country than it would be to hire someone from across the globe.

They Myth of the Unqualified American and its origins are toxic to many interactions between employers and prospective employees, and even worse they can lead to toxic effects on the American economy overall. I don't know what motivates many American companies to consistently install unreasonable barriers to hiring for domestic workers, but regardless of their reasons I think working and middle class Americans are justified in asking them to at least not scapegoat us for the ramifications of their own decisions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...96630897409182

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.18835e408ffc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business