Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times

Advertisements

Sounds odd. Be careful and do your 'due diligence'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
People have hard time pronouncing foreign names. Also, with the current conditions in the country, foreigners or immigrants from certain religions or countries who are not of anglo descent have some sort of negative preconceived notion associated to them. Most of the time they don't want to be associated with the general perception of what media is portraying about them or the generalization deception ppl might have about them. So they are really careful about it.

I have seen people using their american nick name on license plates and all sorts of non legal documents. Some of them would get pissed if you call them by their real name as if they are trying to run away from their identity. I don't blame them though. I was told in retail inorder to get best results the name should be most American sounding. Most of the guys I worked with had their names as Mike, Tim and Allen on their business cards when in reality their names were not that. It was good for business. Now some of them did not look like Mike, Tim or Allen but no body cared, at least the customers didn't as long as they could speak English.

I am not sure what sort of product you were selling but maybe she might have thought that she would be taken seriously if she used an XYZ name instead her real foreign name. I know it sounds absurd but I have heard crazy stories...

Old 07-03-2017, 12:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I'm still trying to understand why in god's name a business would give one rat's rear about the name and make it an issue!

I don't care what a customers name is. I'm not a business, but a person running a business. It's confusing if there is a signed name and a email name that differs a lot. It makes me wonder who to address the email to. I almost always see the email name (the name that isn't part of the address, but shows as the actual name by the email name), that is the same or similar, but if not the same,or it at least sounds like a plausable nick name. Like I don't see an inquiry form with a name Bob, then an email addess that says Felix@aol.com that I am repling to. I didn't think it was a scam or anything, but I didn't know at that point the name I should be addressing. On top of that, they signed the first reply without a name...just Best. Always that is followed by a name.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I don't care what a customers name is. I'm not a business, but a person running a business. It's confusing if there is a signed name and a email name that differs a lot. It makes me wonder who to address the email to. I almost always see the email name (the name that isn't part of the address, but shows as the actual name by the email name), that is the same or similar, but if not the same,or it at least sounds like a plausable nick name. Like I don't see an inquiry form with a name Bob, then an email addess that says Felix@aol.com that I am repling to. I didn't think it was a scam or anything, but I didn't know at that point the name I should be addressing. On top of that, they signed the first reply without a name...just Best. Always that is followed by a name.
So, did you get the sale?

Old 07-04-2017, 06:52 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Why on earth will they hide their name? Either tell the real Indian name or the adopted Anglo name. Probably they have taken the quote earlier also from the same place and they are double checking. By giving a different name, they think that you will not know that the same quote has been asked earlier also. They didnt had commnsense to give a different email address.
Many chinese students, when they come to US, adapt an Anglo name. There is a general feeling among immigrant communities that Americans find it difficult to pronounce Foreign names. In Asian, African cultures, person is many times addressed with Surnames Mr xyz or Miss xyz. When they come to the US, all of a sudden they have to make adjustment of First name becoming important for the first time in their life. It makes their life difficult if the first name is a tongue twister.

I had a friend from west Africa Tiecoura Traore. He was used to be called Mr Traore in his country. When he came to the US, his first name Tiecoura (pronounced as Chekoora) became difficult for people. Everytime people used to ask and he had to spell it. So he put the name Jimmy. That made his life easier.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:04 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I have a friend who goes by 'Dave'. He has lived in this country since he has been six. Those of us who know him call him by his real name. It is easier for him to be 'Dave' when ordering takeout and a bunch of other things.

I'd let it go. I doubt they are trying to rip you off. It's just easier to go by an American name.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Depends on the business you're in.
-- is it a one time sale, or could it be an ongoing relationship?
-- if you're selling things or providing services with 'official documents' or that are government regulated -- I'd want to know what the deal is with the name.

I didn't say make a big deal of it. Just ask. See the reaction and answer you get.
MOST people use alias for harmless reasons. SOME do not.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:50 AM

291 posts, read 336,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I would go with the name she filled out the quote form with. If it really bothers you, you could just ask - "By the way, how do you prefer to be addressed - Cindy or Saanvi?"
Even if it doesn't bother you do this anyway. It shows that you pay attention and acknowledge the difference and that you are looking to help the customer feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business