U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

As MikeBear said, it isn't tech a scam, but it is a pyramid. I can't imagine anyone who doesn't agree with this. Yes, many people love the product, there have been other similar products out there. I actually was a dealer for about a year. Not an Amway but a competitor back in the 70s. The catch here is the promise of huge salaries in a few years. I am guessing one in every 10,000 dealers make enough to support themselves and those are leaders plus must have room to store a lot of merchandise. If you want to make a few extra $$S and have the time and the space, give it shot, but you will not get rich. You also will be spending a lot of time at meetings being fed a bunch of slanted information about the product, just like in any sales position.

My advise, proceed with caution or better don't proceed at all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
You know the old saying "it takes money to make money"? If you are one of the ones that already has a lot of money then entering at the top of the pyramid will allow you to make more money. If you enter at the bottom of the pyramid then you don't have money now and you probably never will. JMHO.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,477,579 times
I remember someone on quora or some blog gave a mathematical formula for pyramid scheme and proved that at one point, the amount of people in the planet earth will run out for the scheme to be beneficial for any new members. I believe these pyramid schemes have been going on for ages and right now it is very difficult to sign up more people. There is also lot of negative publicity around this scheme. I remember back in the days strangers in malls, book stores and coffee shops would be so nice and women would strike conversations with men, only to pitch in for Amway. They would hand out cds and audio tapes and would invite ppl for meetings with free lunch etc.

I have personally seen the failures of amway or similar pyramid scheme amongst some family & coworkers . Literally their pantry and garages were stocked pile high with sodas, energy drinks, shampoos etc of this brand. People tirelessly trying to recruit more people. One thing I noticed was that their products weren't really that good. I once got some energy drinks and tooth paste by some folks and it was awful. I can't imagine selling something when I don't personally like it.

Just don't do it. You are better off investing in cryptocurrency. Odds will be better.

Last edited by TexasTony; 06-30-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was invited to a sales pitch the other night for something called Amway. They want 180 bucks to join with talk if you work hard enough, you will be making 6 figure income in 3 to 5 years.
I consider it a scam because it's an MLM (multi-level marketing) scheme.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,593,575 times
It costs you money and it costs you the trust of friends and relatives. Sounds like a perfectly good idea to me.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:48 PM

374 posts, read 177,120 times
Amway is like a cult, I swear. You get invited to all these meetings where they boost each other's confidence and act like they really care about you and to not "listen" to those who don't support the "work" and always referred to their work as a vague "business" to anyone that asks. Lol. One of my friends joined Amway and bought into the cult.. she's kind of brainwashed and a bit too passionate about starting her "business".. :/

Old 12-24-2017, 06:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,082,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was invited to a sales pitch the other night for something called Amway. They want 180 bucks to join with talk if you work hard enough, you will be making 6 figure income in 3 to 5 years. I'm researching it now on youtube, and many people say it's a scam. Anybody here know?
All MLM schemes are pyramid schemes who prey on morons and desperate fools who are thirsty for money.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
All MLM schemes are pyramid schemes who prey on morons and desperate fools who are thirsty for money.
I have a friend who was doing well in her company business but wanted MORE so she got into Amway. Tried her darnest to get me on board, but nope. She worked so hard and bought all the pricey products for her home and the person under her was making the money, and the person under that one was making more money. I believe they have good products but not for me. There are a lot of good products out there...they spout their christian leanings.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:00 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,709,369 times
Amway also goes under a different name called 'An Honest Company' They had to get away from the original name because people just saying the word would get them maced.

The bottom line is MLM usually means Most Lose Money.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:16 AM

783 posts, read 559,185 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway

Great American success story for two WW2 buddies.

Many make nothing, a lot make some, few make lots lots. It is a business and one needs to work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or