U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:24 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,344,207 times

Advertisements

Imo
Amway will/is capitalize on internet purchasing.
Interesting business model taken to extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 10:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 545,611 times
This is an old thread - but I knew somebody who tried it and worked really hard, putting hours and hours of work in each week. They traveled and bought their quota and got many people in under them. One of the things he did was to get a "friends" list from everybody he brought in and he would go out and try to get those people in. What he told me was he worked hard but nobody else did. And nobody else bought much of those products.

They are supposed to be concentrated products that end up being cheaper than ones in the supermarket. I never believed that.

They also required that you bought the book of the month and also tapes (probably cd's now) to listen to. Rah rah rah! And attend rallies and things like that. A lot of driving and hotels and fees. He told me a lot of those people who actually "made it" had so many people drop out that eventually they lost their "status".

So, even though they say you'll be able to retire, you're actually just changing jobs. You can't ever quit putting people in to replace the ones who drop out of the bottom.

Save your money. My friend quit after disappointing years and years of work. Lost a lot of money.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:06 AM

250 posts, read 115,405 times
I worked at a credit union many years ago. We had a branch in a govt building. There was a high earning GS manager that was (I believe) at the emerald level in Amway. She had a 50K open personal loan (it was a type of loan that you could continue to draw against as you paid the balance down). She would use the money to pay for the membership fees and travel costs for conferences for her down line new recruits. In other words, they paid nothing to become Amway reps and got free conference trips to boot.

She always had that revolving debt that was never paid down but she was at the emerald level. I got to see several MLM people's business accounts (Herbalife, Avon, etc) and the only person that ever made money was in an MLM phone company that no longer exists. That person deposited a couple checks over 500.00 into their account. I never saw any of the other people make profits.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
O.P., why do you think they call it “scAmway”?
Stay far away.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:54 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
It is most definitely NOT "a scam" in the sense that it is a HUGE global firm that really does sell normal products like shampoo, laundry detergent, vitamins, skin cremes, and energy drinks to literally millions of customers...

If you ever visit the Grand Rapids MI area you'll see that the firm's founders have donated literally tens of millions to local hospitals, universities, and civic features. The local economy is one of the most robust in the whole nation, though that has at least something to do with the mix of colleges in the area as well as other well run firms like Bissell, Meijer, and various office furnishing companies.

Is it realistic to assume that some new "independent business owner" will make it rich selling the various products to folks in their network? Such a question is entirely different.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:41 PM

3,961 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was invited to a sales pitch the other night for something called Amway. They want 180 bucks to join with talk if you work hard enough, you will be making 6 figure income in 3 to 5 years. I'm researching it now on youtube, and many people say it's a scam. Anybody here know?
It's not exactly a scam. But if you just want your friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances to shun you from now until the end of time, start trying to sell to them. Because, funny, people despise being treated like targets, like a freaking Comstock Lode to be mined relentlessly.

My sis-in-law is into that stuff and I can't tell you how many parties we've had where she was buttonholing some guest and trying to sell them something.

If you want to earn more money in life, here's a better idea. Get more skills, get a better job, go networking. But don't go the MLM route. Trust me on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or