U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 627,079 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a sales pitch the other night for something called Amway. They want 180 bucks to join with talk if you work hard enough, you will be making 6 figure income in 3 to 5 years. I'm researching it now on youtube, and many people say it's a scam. Anybody here know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 12:38 PM

1,436 posts, read 509,451 times
Amway is an old MLM which has been around since the 1970s at least. TANSTAAFL.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:52 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,144,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was invited to a sales pitch the other night for something called Amway. They want 180 bucks to join with talk if you work hard enough, you will be making 6 figure income in 3 to 5 years. I'm researching it now on youtube, and many people say it's a scam. Anybody here know?
Technically it's not a scam, (it is a pyramid deal though) BUT, you'll have to continue to buy a LOT of product to put in your basement. Then you must run it like a serious business, if you can't don't start. What happens to most people, is they last about 3 months, run out of/alienate family to keep bothering to try to sell some of this stuff. Then they quit, and end up with a lifetime supply of soap and cleaners.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:55 PM

4,903 posts, read 2,767,024 times
I did not know they were still around. I had a friend years ago who seemed to be doing well. I believe with this you make a lot more recruiting others than on product sales. You may find if you seriously get into it people will begin to avoid you.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:15 PM

72,641 posts, read 64,111,757 times
It used to be a scam, but isn't anymore, strictly speaking. The original court case against them was due to the fact that they required people to buy a lot of product, and didn't allow returns/refunds. That issue was remedied. So I don't know what the $180 to join could possibly be about. Ask them if you can return unsold product. If they say "no", report them to the BBB and local government authorities.

Some people like it, because it provides an environment, through periodic regional meetings, where members really boost each other and cheer each other on. It provides a sort of "family" for people to belong to, for those who need that.

If it's like other pyramid schemes (Avon, Noni Juice, Shaklee vitamins, etc.), you don't make much profit on direct sales to people. Where the profit comes in is when you're able to rope others into being vendors under your authority. So it's not enough to find customers; you have to find people willing to buy into the whole scene, and become vendors. That's more challenging that getting someone to buy a product, which isn't easy in itself, either.

It sounds like a big headache. Also bear in mind that you'll owe self-employment tax, and will have to file quarterly or bi-annual tax returns with your state tax office, most likely. So you have to keep good records, all receipts, etc. Some people are ok with that, others feel it's too much hassle.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-24-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,023,877 times
Betsy DeVos

Old 06-24-2017, 11:45 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,023,746 times
I have a friend that tried for a couple years to make it big in Amway. He wasn't successful and if he couldn't do it, I doubt many can. This guy is an amazing entrepreneur and sales/marketing person.

He basically said there was no way to find enough people to put under you that had the needed drive. Just being ambitious wasn't enough, you have to be an absolute maniac. People like that are already running their own businesses.

He went on to found and build a multi million dollar business.

MLM is usually all about getting the founders and a few early adopters, who are related to the founders in some way, rich.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM

815 posts, read 994,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Are they guaranteeing in writing that you will be making 6 figures in 3 to 5 years?
Read this: Can You Make Money With Multi-Level Marketing

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
My mother-in-law did Amway for many years. She liked the products and was a dealer only to be able to buy it wholesale.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,506,391 times
As others have stated, technically, it's not a scam but good luck making money with Amway. Their profit margin isn't high enough to be worth my time trying to hustle it for a living. In the world of sales, you don't close often enough, so find a product that if it's sold, the profit margin is large enough to be worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or