U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 PM

764 posts, read 476,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
But did you pay in cash when you could have written a check instead? I've written out checks to friends to pay back my portion of the tab. The main reason I still keep checks is because of the annual car registration at the Tax Assessor-Collector's office. Until credit card payments were introduced a couple years ago, they only accepted cash or check.
We definitely don't write my friends checks.... I don't carry around a checkbook...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM

764 posts, read 476,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Just due to the education we have now about ID Theft, it blows my mind people use their cc cards/bank cards for everyday purchases instead of cash.

Way more risk for ID theft and fraud using a card than using cash. Hardly anyone counterfeits cash nowadays though they'd try to get you to think diffferently.

They want to track us all. You cannot, so far, track cash. And as long as they track you, means they are privy to way too much info about you. Smartest thing is to NOT take any CC or bank cards whatsoever.

There are a few stores within a few hours of here who do this. One actually calls itself "The Cash Store"

We also get a money order or cashiers check sometimes in place of checks.

We pay the water bill in person each month via cash. PG&E is paid with a check
It doesn't look like there's a lot of education on ID theft here. Credit cards don't store personal information. You can't take a credit card and get much off the magnetic strip or chip.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 4,670,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I doubt that would be legal. Federal law says that our money is legal tender which basically means it has to be accepted.

Legal issue aside, a store would have to be insane to stop taking cash and alienating a portion of their customers. They'd most certainly lose more than $10,000 in business plus, it is not free to the store to accept credit cards.

In the grocery store, I suspect that most people are using debit cards not credit cards, but plenty of people are using cash. Even the credit card customers use cash for small purchases. I've never seen anyone put a can of soda on their credit card.
That's great - in theory - but are you sure about that? But I have experienced many toll roads that REFUSE to accept cash above a $20. And most places will have a fit if you try to give them a $100 bill. It would be nice if the currency laws were enforced, but when the state and feds say your cash can be stolen from you - by the police, with no laws broken, we are really beyond a cash society.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM

8,668 posts, read 8,816,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Then how about this: TPTB would love a cashless society because it removes anonymity in transactions and, more importantly, allows banks to impose "negative interest rates" without the possibility of depositors withdrawing their [physical] money.
I have heard that sentiment expressed very often, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence in the entire first world (other than Sweden) that government's are actually removing cash.

The Euro zone more or less stopped increasing cash by much and is not introducing a new 500 Euro banknote. Britain is seriously talking about removing the 50 British pound note. Canada stopped producing the CAD$1000 banknote in 2000. But these efforts are relatively minor.

Only Sweden has cut it's circulation of cash by more than 50%. Sweden is a country of 10 million people which is part of the EU but has chosen not to enter the Euro Zone. They may adopt a crypto currency next year, but that decision is being debated.

You have to remember that cash is a source of great profit to TPTB. The profit is called seignorage and it refers to the fact that people treat secure paper like it has great value Governments profit greatly from that fact. The Swedish Central Bank is having a budget crisis now that half of the cash is gone.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM

17,250 posts, read 11,585,740 times
Quote:
How do I get all of that info you listed above by just applying for an online quote?

What was your previous username before making this new account of yours?
You applying for an online quote is entirely irrelevant to the discussion of using a credit card vs cash. You are just tossing out bs. I haven't changed my username however you aren't 5 days new to the site clearly

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 PM

125 posts, read 40,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You applying for an online quote is entirely irrelevant to the discussion of using a credit card vs cash. You are just tossing out bs. I haven't changed my username however you aren't 5 days new to the site clearly
you started it, just relax. You would've have said i had many usernames unless you've done it yourself. Sorry that is my belief.

And I've gotten more reps for my responses here than ever

You know very well using cash doesn't risk ID Theft.

This is a silly discussion in which you are tossing around BS making up excuses for everything.

Carry some cash for day to day transactions without any worries. Simple.

Now you can stop arguing....and chill out a little.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 AM

17,250 posts, read 11,585,740 times
Quote:
you started it, just relax. You would've have said i had many usernames unless you've done it yourself. Sorry that is my belief.
What I believe is that a person doesn't just join the board and in 3-4 days start multiple threads and rack up 30 posts, that's just abnormal

Quote:
And I've gotten more reps for my responses here than ever
Reps don't mean squat

Quote:
You know very well using cash doesn't risk ID Theft.
And you don't risk ID theft by using a credit card either, maybe you don't know that very well though. Using cash does open yourself up to losses via physical thefts

Quote:
This is a silly discussion in which you are tossing around BS making up excuses for everything.
Or simply accurately providing the truth

Quote:
Carry some cash for day to day transactions without any worries. Simple.
Or I can continue to use my credit card with no risk of ID theft just for using my card so it's that simple

Quote:
Now you can stop arguing....and chill out a little.
Someone's the best advice given would be best accepted yourself

Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 AM

4,871 posts, read 1,719,004 times
If a business won't take both cash and credit cards, I can't do business with them, period. I need the convenience of being able to pay either way, depending on my circumstances.

I've gotten the "eye roll" from cashiers when I pull out cash, and I believe they are simply too lazy to count it out (or they lack the mathematical skills to do so). It's not my responsibility to make their job easier by paying with a credit/debit card.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 AM

7,988 posts, read 8,806,783 times
Quote:
Just due to the education we have now about ID Theft, it blows my mind people use their cc cards/bank cards for everyday purchases instead of cash.

Way more risk for ID theft and fraud using a card than using cash. Hardly anyone counterfeits cash nowadays though they'd try to get you to think diffferently.

They want to track us all. You cannot, so far, track cash. And as long as they track you, means they are privy to way too much info about you. Smartest thing is to NOT take any CC or bank cards whatsoever.

There are a few stores within a few hours of here who do this. One actually calls itself "The Cash Store"

We also get a money order or cashiers check sometimes in place of checks.

We pay the water bill in person each month via cash. PG&E is paid with a check

Just last week one of our cashiers took two fake 100 dollar bills. They were so obviously fake I don't know why they accepted them. Security says if they catch any of us NOT checking them we are fired.

My hairdresser doesn't take debit or credit cards and never has. Strictly cash or check. But then she can take weeks to deposit a check so I mostly pay cash.

I can't pay my water bill online but I can sign up on their website to have it charged to my CC every month for a fee. I send them a check. Or stop by the office a pay with my debit card, whichever is more convenient for me.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Status: "You'll get nothing and like it!" (set 18 days ago)

8,988 posts, read 7,311,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I go to McDonalds in the morning for an iced tea - $1.06. I always charge it (or debit card). I want to retain whatever cash I have and keep easy records of expenditures so I can track spending if desired. The cash is for machines usually or tips or buying lotto ticket. Cash disappears too quickly so I hang on to it when I have it.

Some parking meters do not take credit cards, the formerly free air and water at service stations now requires quarters, the snack machine at work and our Kiwanis club meal contribution all require cash, so I hold onto the cash. Anything else if I can buy it with a card, I do.
The soda machines at my job accept "ApplePay" so I don't need cash there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business