U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,928,271 times

Advertisements

The program has been on TV for years. Dave Hester, one of the participants, sued A&E a couple of years ago over his contract. In that suit, it came out that many units featured have had items placed in them by the show. It was also disclosed that the participants were paid $10-20K per episode. So, the program is very far from real life.

I have spoken with a couple of local estate auctioneers who also do storage units. They like it because the auction prices have risen, but the quality of stored stuff hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,258,072 times
Most Reality TV shows are fake and their profits are fake. From this show to that stupid Pawn Stars, along with many other dumb azz tv shows...too many to mention. But like you said, there are a lot of dumb people in America.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:19 AM

2,297 posts, read 2,423,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You would be surprised as to how many fools grasp at this stuff. PT Barnum said there is a fool born every second. Many poorly educated persons think it must be true because i they it on tv.
And an updated version of that about fools is that "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true."

I watched Storage Wars once or twice, over at someone else's house who has tons of cable options. I quickly got bored of the show. I would probably watch it more if I had it available and had more free time. I like antiques and all, but to learn about what might be worth lots of money, I might watch Antiques Roadshow once in a blue moon.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:23 AM

2,297 posts, read 2,423,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Most Reality TV shows are fake and their profits are fake. From this show to that stupid Pawn Stars, along with many other dumb azz tv shows...too many to mention. But like you said, there are a lot of dumb people in America.
True, most reality shows (and most TV shows by extension) are vast wastelands. OTOH, dumb people are not exclusive to living just in the U.S.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 PM

40 posts, read 21,969 times
I like to watch the show since I help manage a storage facility. Always funny how the units and contents are so clean and neatly covered.
Not even reality. There is no such thing as a clean unit when it comes to auction. Could be neatly stacked but even that doesn't happen too often. We just held an auction 2 weeks ago for 7 units, all 8x10. Average sale price was about $75 per unit from 8 attendees, and some of those followed the auctioneer from sales earlier in the day.
I will say one guy did pretty good on one of his units. It had a big Kobalt tool chest stuffed full. Most of the contents in the units were bagged clothing and junk.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:03 AM

217 posts, read 67,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
The show is mostly fiction but making money on storage auctions is real. It's a great source of merch for flea market sellers and they absolutely do hit homeruns on a regular basis. Of course you can bid too high.... just like every other auction held in the last couple thousand years. You have to take the good with the bad with these. Nobody makes money bidding on clearly visible items. It's the taped up boxes that say "dad's stuff" that make it all worth it.

Oregonwoodsmoke, you couldn't be more wrong. All types of people use storage units, including billionaires. All it takes is two missed payments to lose the unit. I've met plenty of people at their unit to buy items and saw insane collections inside....one $10k item after another. Not to mention the people who store cars, boats, and other large valuables. At least a third of the units in my experience are full of commercial items. After one month behind the storage company locks the door on you...now you can't get your welding or lawn maintenance equipment out...which means you can't do your job. Can't pawn anything because everything is in the unit. At 60 days, it's auction time.

I saw a documentary once where the baseball player Barry Bonds was putting all of his game used uniforms, bats, cleats, etc in a typical suburban storage unit. Literally millions of dollars worth of memorabilia. He made a fortune as a player but so did plenty of other pros who ultimately went bankrupt. Same for musicians. Professional or not, people use storage units specifically to stash valuables and keep them away from family, girlfriends, business partners, etc.

Lastly, a good percentage of the scores found in storage units come from items that the renter didn't even know was valuable. Have you ever heard of a highly collectible item being sold too cheap at a pawn shop, on Craigslist, at a garage sale, or given to a friend or family member? Or how about something shown on Antiques Roadshow that was worth 100x more than what the owners' thought? Why is it so hard to believe that such items wouldn't kept in a storage unit during a breakup, temporary move, or inheritance?
I wasn't able to find anything on bonds leaving cleats in a storage unit. Do you have any links or name of documentary?
Lots of athletes go broke but Bonds is still filthy rich so this doesn't even make sense.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:55 AM

155 posts, read 44,495 times
What doesn't make sense? I didn't say that he lost the items, I said he put them in storage. Hundreds of games' worth of equipment requires space.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 AM

155 posts, read 44,495 times
A few days ago I met a Craigslist seller at a storage unit he had just won. Gave him $1200 for the vinyl records and a few other collectibles. I asked if that was the best stuff from the unit. He said no, the sports memorabilia was. A former pro ballplayer (or his family) lost the unit.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:43 PM

20,700 posts, read 9,423,902 times
I have experience buying and selling the contents of storage lockers for a hobby. I've bought one for $50, and sold the contents for $1,200. That was my best one so far-and it was a haunted house that was put up for Halloween. One of their competitors bought it from me.

But mostly? Its a TON of very hard work, for very little return. If you are smart, and good at it you can make some profit. But you will work your behind off for it.

Worst locker? Third story, middle of summer, no AC. 100 degrees outside, 130 on the third floor. And the elevator went out. Spent 8 hours moving stuff 3 stories down, in truly insane heat. Profit? I think I made $30 all told-if that. Almost had heat stroke though.

Storage wars vastly over inflates finds, and the amount you get for stuff.

Why do people lose lockers? It varies. Sometimes you can tell. Medical bills, lost income, and poor health. Sometimes people die, often people just lose their income. And bam. They lose everything. It can be very depressing to go through some lockers.

Seeing cancer medical bills from a a few months back....and knowing this person died most likely....it gets to you. I always did my best to get all the personally valuable stuff like picture etc handed over to the storage folks for return, but I knew most of that would never get to the people it should.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

8,160 posts, read 14,301,105 times
The buyers assigning value to the common household stuff are typically the ones with resale shops who are buying inventory. The buyers looking for the big score usually toss that stuff aside without consideration. It's great that you bought a bedside toilet for $2 at a garage sale, but what are the chances that somebody who suddenly needs one is going to find that deal when he needs it? That person would probably be thrilled to find a good used one for less than retail at a thrift store.

I'm not surprised at all what people walk away from. In my line of work I often enter properties than have been purchased at tax sales and find them full of furniture, tools, and antiques. If people are willing to walk away from an entire house full of marketable items - not to mention the house itself - just to avoid paying a $500 annual tax bill, then sure they'll walk away from an 8 X 10 storage locker that they're paying $100 a month for.

And sometimes people simply undervalue things. I've never been to a storage auction, mainly because they're pretty rare in my rural neck of the woods, but I go to a lot of estate auctions. It's not unusual to see the heirs spend hours cleaning, polishing, and prepping some outdated 1970s fiberboard furniture thinking it will the the star of the sale just because they remember their parents paying a lot for it when it was new, while tossing a tray of sterling silver flatware in a box with everyday kitchen utensils because "it was just some old stuff that came from grandma's that was never used". Meanwhile the vintage Johnny West or Star Wars toys got hauled to the Salvation Army because "it's just stuff I played with when I was a kid, nobody will want to pay anything for it". And of course there's the legendary, oft-repeated tale of the baseball card or comic book collection that good old mom threw out somewhere along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business