Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 AM

698 posts, read 567,946 times

Advertisements

Last cash transaction I did was giving $2 to a non-English-speaking panhandler in the grocery store parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 11:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
Regarding transactions with strangers, where you are the seller: What is the max a buyer should expect to bring cash? Being that most of these take place in a public setting, I'm sure people start feeling antsy, carrying $x in cash on them.

Then, what is the next acceptable form of payment, to ensure you're not getting duped? Money order?

Thanks, All!
I've done car sales under 10K cash in my driveway, but I live in a neighborhood, in the open, and have my brother or dad with me. If its a cashiers check or money order I want to go with them.

When I have done larger (more than $1K) greenback transactions, I've always bought a forgery pen from Staples or Kinko's or the UPS Store and checked all the bills as I've counted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The last house I sold was $166,000 all cash. I sold another house $225,000 all cash a couple of years ago. I don't think there is a ceiling, but Uncle Sam will get himself involved at some point.

You mean a point beyond where the buyer takes actual folding money out of his pocket and hands it to you? The most I've received that way is about $2500, for a stack of redwood boards. I've sold stuff for a lot more, but usually get a check.
I don't think Uncle Sam gets involved over electronic transfers or checks. They get suspicious with massive amounts of folding money, the sterotypical briefcase full of cash.

I had that happen once when I worked in a car dealership. The customers walked in and paid for a $30K car with bills. They were immigrants, and owned a Nail Salon. That required a lot of documentation on our part. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up getting audited.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Cash only and meet at the bank! Cashier checks AND money orders can be fake!

Old 12-24-2017, 05:38 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
i bought a car for 7500 in cash
it was funny watching the woman counting the money super slow and counting it 4 or 5 times

Old 12-24-2017, 05:39 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've done car sales under 10K cash in my driveway, but I live in a neighborhood, in the open, and have my brother or dad with me. If its a cashiers check or money order I want to go with them.

When I have done larger (more than $1K) greenback transactions, I've always bought a forgery pen from Staples or Kinko's or the UPS Store and checked all the bills as I've counted them.

I don't think Uncle Sam gets involved over electronic transfers or checks. They get suspicious with massive amounts of folding money, the sterotypical briefcase full of cash.

I had that happen once when I worked in a car dealership. The customers walked in and paid for a $30K car with bills. They were immigrants, and owned a Nail Salon. That required a lot of documentation on our part. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up getting audited.
those pens are nearly useless

Old 12-25-2017, 11:40 PM

834 posts, read 528,874 times
I've received $10-$15k many times (in strangers' homes, on the hood of my car, etc.) The most I've paid in cash was $25k to a woman for her late husband's guitar. I know of six figure cash deals done among strangers for guitars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The last house I sold was $166,000 all cash. I sold another house $225,000 all cash a couple of years ago. I don't think there is a ceiling, but Uncle Sam will get himself involved at some point.

You mean a point beyond where the buyer takes actual folding money out of his pocket and hands it to you? The most I've received that way is about $2500, for a stack of redwood boards. I've sold stuff for a lot more, but usually get a check.

Did you actually think the OP meant anything other than folding money when asking about cash??

Old 12-26-2017, 11:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
It's really easy to fake cashiers checks and money orders these days so if you want to pay via that method maybe meet them at the bank and make them get it in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business