U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:44 PM

541 posts, read 178,860 times

Advertisements

I have a Shopify E store, that sells supplies for Prepers and Survivalists.

My store has no physical location, I hold no inventory, I never see the things that I sell, and I have no employees so no pay roll.

How does it work ? I have three drop shipper fulfilment companies that do the actual work. They have the goods in their warehouses, they pack and ship direct to my customers by UPS or USPS, on a next day schedule.

The on line customer browses my site, decides to buy. Makes the selection and makes a order, paying by credit card through my Pay Pal account. The computer process hardware sends the payment to my bank account, then the data about the order goes to the drops shipper company, who bill me , and then pick and ship the order to my customer. My company name and logo are on the invoice that the customer receives.

My profit is the difference between what the customer paid me and what the drop shipper charges me. The usual profit is between 20 and 40 percent. My average sale amount is around $50. Some of the long life food ( 5 year to 25 year shelf life ) can amount to over $5,000.

This is a fully automated business, which requires about 6 hours a week of my time. My original investment was under one thousand dollars. I pay all of the required taxes annually. I can operate from any where in the world that has internet service. I call this being a "computer nomad ".

XXXX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 01:07 PM

3,210 posts, read 3,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
I have a Shopify E store, that sells supplies for Prepers and Survivalists.

My store has no physical location, I hold no inventory, I never see the things that I sell, and I have no employees so no pay roll.

How does it work ? I have three drop shipper fulfilment companies that do the actual work. They have the goods in their warehouses, they pack and ship direct to my customers by UPS or USPS, on a next day schedule.

The on line customer browses my site, decides to buy. Makes the selection and makes a order, paying by credit card through my Pay Pal account. The computer process hardware sends the payment to my bank account, then the data about the order goes to the drops shipper company, who bill me , and then pick and ship the order to my customer. My company name and logo are on the invoice that the customer receives.

My profit is the difference between what the customer paid me and what the drop shipper charges me. The usual profit is between 20 and 40 percent. My average sale amount is around $50. Some of the long life food ( 5 year to 25 year shelf life ) can amount to over $5,000.

This is a fully automated business, which requires about 6 hours a week of my time. My original investment was under one thousand dollars. I pay all of the required taxes annually. I can operate from any where in the world that has internet service. I call this being a "computer nomad ".

XXXX.
Hey XXXX, by no means asking you to share any secrets or a supplier but just curious, I'm assuming your using a domestic ie US based supplier and not Ali Express or something like that?

I assume that since you mention they blind ship for you?

Anything additional or tips you'd have to share I'd love to hear, reason I ask is I see lots of people pitching this Ali Express dropshipping stuff which sounds enticing and margins look nice but most people aren't willing to wait 30 days or even 2 months to receive an item from China.

How long does your dropshipper normally take to ship items out? Do they email you tracking or is the entire process automated, etc?

Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM

2,423 posts, read 1,785,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Hey XXXX, by no means asking you to share any secrets or a supplier but just curious, I'm assuming your using a domestic ie US based supplier and not Ali Express or something like that?

I assume that since you mention they blind ship for you?

Anything additional or tips you'd have to share I'd love to hear, reason I ask is I see lots of people pitching this Ali Express dropshipping stuff which sounds enticing and margins look nice but most people aren't willing to wait 30 days or even 2 months to receive an item from China.

How long does your dropshipper normally take to ship items out? Do they email you tracking or is the entire process automated, etc?
We also "drop ship/blind ship" to some of our customers from US suppliers. We have been doing this since the internet started and have long term relationships with these companies, many since 1990. We're also in a niche market. We have weeded out the bad apples (poor quality, slow ship times).

Ours is not 100% automated, but most items ship same day and we get tracking emailed to us. Or we have the suppliers use our UPS shipper #.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,204,527 times
I would love to know more about this. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn more? I see comments about web forums. Any opinions on really good ones to start the climb of the learning curve?

Thanks!!

Old Today, 04:40 PM

7,488 posts, read 1,917,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I would love to know more about this. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn more? I see comments about web forums. Any opinions on really good ones to start the climb of the learning curve?

Thanks!!
I'd like info too please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business