U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM

6,695 posts, read 7,352,949 times

Advertisements

Working from home can be great if you get into it slowly. Do not jump feet first into it, though, unless you are prepared to learn hard lessons. It took several years for me to get to the point that I could stop working at traditional jobs and work from home, because I refused to spend any money on my online endeavors unless I made that money online.

My first official online business was selling T-shirts. I've never printed a T-shirt in my life, and had no desire to learn how. My skill is in design, not printing. Luckily, you don't have to print them yourself. I use Spreadshirt for my supplier, and they provide everything at no cost to me:
1) Build your store on the Spreadshirt website (free).
2) Come up with a design that you think will sell.
3) Upload design to Spreadshirt and set your price, category, etc.
4) When customer orders a product with your design, you get paid your design price. Spreadshirt provides the product, prints it, ships it, etc.

That's a greatly simplified explanation of how it works, but it covers the basics. I won't go into advertising or Photoshop training here, since I'm on a tablet. It took a couple of months to really start seeing profits, but I've had my store running for several years now and it still provides a pretty good revenue stream. Kind of surprising, since I am very sporadic about adding new designs. More of a back burner endeavor at this point.

My mainstay is copy writing. Again, it takes a while to get rolling but once you have a few regular clients you're in a good position. 500-1000 word articles, and my rate is +/- 10 cents per word depending on how detailed it needs to be. There are multiple ways to get started, either on your own or writing for content mills. The content mills pay less, but there are a couple of good ones which have knowledgeable editors who will help you become a better writer. I usually recommend new writers get started with the mills until they have a solid grasp of the writing process. If anyone has an interest in article writing, send me a message and I'll share links to the ones I feel are worth checking out.

On top of these, I do social media management for a couple of local businesses. Fairly decent pay, and the work is basically advertising and posting relevant content that is "share worthy." Kind of fell into it by accident, but it's worked out well.

I am in the process of starting a blog to give people ideas for making extra money through odd jobs, but I'm probably looking at a couple of months to get it fully up and running.

I've done the customer support from home (decent pay, but not great), tech support, website testing, data entry, microtasks, paid surveys, etc. For that matter, I still do the paid surveys and website testing. They don't support the family, but they do help defray the costs of my gaming addiction (word to the wise: if you are a PC gamer and work from home, get a non-gaming computer for the work. That "just 10 minutes" of gaming will eat your entire work day.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,025 times
There are more opportunities for home-based business than there ever have been before and new opportunities are rising all the time.
Some of them are:
1) Virtual Assistant. As a virtual assistant, your clients will be other small business owners who need help with simple things like email management and scheduling. Some businesses will need you to be available during the day for phone or Skype meetings. Others allow you to work on your own time — and you can always find somebody in a different time zone whose schedule works with yours. There are many sites where you can find virtual assistant jobs
2) Web design
There is a lot of competition in the web design space right now but there is also an incredible amount of opportunity. If you have friends who are business owners offer to set up heavily discounted or even free websites for them as portfolio pieces to help you stand out from the crowd.
3) Sell your crafts
You can sell virtually anything you can make either on your own website or through a website like Etsy. It’s possible to set any price you want, although your best bet is to look for similar products on Etsy and sell yours for around the same price. You can also take your creations to craft shows in your city — most cities have one during the holiday season — and even to conventions if your work fits with the science fiction or fantasy genres.

How much money you can make selling your crafts depends entirely on what you’re creating and how long each project takes, but this is at least a great way to pay for the supplies you use to make the crafts you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business