Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM

118 posts, read 537,623 times

Advertisements

Anyone in the business of flipping homes? I am interested in the business and just wonder how to go abour getting info and starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
If you don't know anything about the business, now is DEFINITELY not the time to get in to flipping houses. Experienced house flippers are getting pummeled by the declining housing market right now. No need to jump in as a novice. I halfway think your post is a joke because I cannot imagine that anyone living in the U.S. is not aware of how bad the housing market has gotten. To make money flipping houses, you would be best off doing it in a robust market.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
In this market all it takes to make a small fortune flipping houses, is to start out with a huge fortune and watch it dwindle away.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Actually now is the best time to buy, but a bad time to sell. If you can afford to hold onto several properties until the market improves you could make quite a bit of money. WHen the market is hot is not the time to buy, but the time to sell.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
100% Agree that now is the time to buy if you plan on sitting on it for a while. Flippers usually want something they can slap some cosmetics on and re-sell in a very short time frame from what I have seen. I am looking at a couple long term project houses right now because the price is so low right now and with some improvements (some major) in a few years they will be worth MUCH more than they are offered for now. Great locations, great views, very solid but run down houses.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
If I was in this business, I'd wait a little while longer. Prices will be dropping for a bit longer. But of course, who can call the bottom and be right.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Markets here in the NE still haven't fallen all that much. Inventory is just accumulating. The most difficult RE to sell right now is mulifamilies because many have negative cash flows at current asking prices. High energy costs, age, and maintenance neglect make these investments hard sells.

Now is not a bad time to buy a single-family fixer-upper if you plan on living there. You might be able to negotiate a good deal.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I saw a home in Lafayette Park in St. Louis that's 3 BR for $10k. I'm guessing it's basically the shell, but other homes in the area that are 3 BR may sell for $250k-$300k or more. So, if you want to fix it up and hold on to it for a little while, even after factoring in the cost of a gut rehab, you could make some money. Or if you plan to live in it you could save some money and be able to pick out the interior designs you prefer.

So, now is a good time to buy, fix up, and live in a place. As far as selling, maybe not so much.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
100% Agree that now is the time to buy if you plan on sitting on it for a while. Flippers usually want something they can slap some cosmetics on and re-sell in a very short time frame from what I have seen. I am looking at a couple long term project houses right now because the price is so low right now and with some improvements (some major) in a few years they will be worth MUCH more than they are offered for now. Great locations, great views, very solid but run down houses.
Not sure about this flipping business, but buying property right now is a good move financially. Regardless of the housing market, property values will always go up. During the Great Depression many people took advantage of the cheap property at the time and then saw themselves become over-night millionaires when it was over (these people also kept their stocks as well).

Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I saw a home in Lafayette Park in St. Louis that's 3 BR for $10k. I'm guessing it's basically the shell, but other homes in the area that are 3 BR may sell for $250k-$300k or more. So, if you want to fix it up and hold on to it for a little while, even after factoring in the cost of a gut rehab, you could make some money. Or if you plan to live in it you could save some money and be able to pick out the interior designs you prefer.

So, now is a good time to buy, fix up, and live in a place. As far as selling, maybe not so much.
The difference is that you can't depend on that house selling in the narrow time frames that most flippers operate on. You have to be prepared to live in it for quite some time if need be. Also, that is basically reconstruction and urban infill. Flippers usually don't like to get into actual projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business