Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:01 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
As an outsider (blue collar) guy I had a chance to talk to my niece who used to work in an office building in downtown Dallas over the weekend.
A blue collar outsider stereotyping the corporate world off the experience of one family member, imagine that.

How about this, why are a lot of people in the blue working class uneducated? I mean, since we’re throwing around stereotypes and everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
So why has this one field of work created so much nasty people?
There are nasty, dishonest lazy people in every field even small business owners. In the business world you are prone to nastier people who are bullies or who have been bullied in the past and take it out on others. Power corrupts, absolutely.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
I've been bitter and blue-collar and I've been bitter and corporate.

Corporate is better.

Your results may vary.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
bc there're a lot of ass kissing and back stabbing, you worked 50 weeks a year for 40 years with no real vacation until you're old enough to retire and can't do most of what you used to and in many cases it's all done to chase materialistic garbage you never even get to enjoy.
Well said my friend. lol how sad of an existence.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
bc there're a lot of ass kissing and back stabbing, you worked 50 weeks a year for 40 years with no real vacation until you're old enough to retire and can't do most of what you used to and in many cases it's all done to chase materialistic garbage you never even get to enjoy.
Oh, please.

If that was truly your corporate experience, then you were a fool to stay in that company for that long. Hell, even the worst hellholes give three weeks of vacation after 5 or 10 years. So don't blame the world for your innate lack of courage to live life on your terms. If I had a job like that, I would have left it, just like anyone else with a little testicular fortitude.

One more thing. I've found that the people who blame their unrecognized genius on ass kissing and backstabbing typically have the personal skills of a radish. They say stupid things in meetings. They are a pain in the ass to work with. They are too lazy to network or widen their skillset. And the list goes on and on.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Like I said they don't reflect 100% reality.Pay attention.
Exactly. So you probably shouldn't have used them as an example of the corporate world being bitter.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:41 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
I love the job that I have and go to work with a smile. I am humble that I have this job.
The problem is as a female, we constantly have to prove our worth. Other females are very quick to back stab, ass kissing and licking and don't care if they damaged other female self worth, their abilities, reputation with constant repetitive negative behaviour. No human being can handle this type of constant beating and it break you down.

It is up to management to stop that behaviour, but they love it. They want the perm. staff to quit so they can replace with contract employees, so that there is no benefits, vacation pay and any other perks that come with having perm. status.

I am tired of people at work being angry at work when they see me being happy. I really don't know how to play the game.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
You mean blue collar jobs like farm workers don't have people problems? Why?? Is it because they work alone?
I know the above post was in jest, but farmers have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession in America, almost double that of veterans. It's a very stressful and often times thankless profession.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been a corporate hating, hourly drone, and now am an exempt individual contributor. Both sides have benefits and problems.

The biggest thing I liked about being hourly was that if I couldn't fix something - it was ultimately someone else's problem. I worked at an IT help desk. As long as I routed a ticket correctly, I could ultimately pass the buck and I wasn't really responsible for anything but things mostly inside my direct control. As an exempt employee, that isn't the case. I'm expected to be the authority on some things, even when I've had very limited exposure to something and virtually no training on it. An hourly guy doesn't have to deal with that.

When I was hourly, there were very defined limits between work and personal time. When I was at work, it was a solid eight hours of work during the shift, but there was no expectation of after hours availability. If I was called for an additional shift, I'd probably take the time and a half. As an exempt individual contributor, there is an expectation of checking emails off hours. I routinely get project emails on the weekends, and sometimes late at night. I do have more slack during the day now, and am not monitored on time (I had a 30 min lunch yesterday and stayed over thirty minutes - I took an hour and a half for lunch today and left 15 mins early), but there is a definitive bleedover into what should be personal time.

Oh, and that's not even counting 1/4 weeks I'm on call. If we're up working all night, we're supposed to be in at normal time. Those weekends are basically house arrest. We have a monthly downtime on Thursday night for patching. The patching window is from 12 AM - 4 AM, then it's back in at 8 AM. The hourly folks don't have to do a schedule like that.

Oh, and it's also much, much harder to take PTO as an exempt individual contributor. Apparently I'm so important that I need to be there every day, even though I've probably been idle half the time this past year posting on C-D. I also have PTO blackout windows - of the last three months of the year, roughly six weeks are blacked out, some including holiday weekends.

No, I don't have the flexibility hourly workers think I do as a salaried exempt guy. I have to be in by 8. Technically I'm not supposed to be out earlier than 5. My timesheet must show 40 hours minimum each week. I have no telecommuting flexibility.

I get paid double what I did as hourly. That's the only saving grace

Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM

215 posts, read 211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Exactly. So you probably shouldn't have used them as an example of the corporate world being bitter.
I assumed that you wouldn't be that dim,sorry my mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business