U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM

684 posts, read 330,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is why I no longer buy from amazon. Most items I've found that I can buy at Wal Mart or Target for far less money. It amazes me that a novice seller thinks he can jack the price up that high. Some times I go through listings on amazon and ebay with my husband and we laugh at what people are charging for things.

And yes, sometimes people buy them but if they find out how much they were over charged, the seller is going to get eaten alive with negative feedback and the bad score can ruin his business.
I don't look at what people charge, I look at what things sell for. There's a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:18 PM

821 posts, read 2,301,544 times
I purchased an item on eBay 5 days ago. The next day I sent a message to the seller requesting that he/she let me know when the item ships and to provide a tracking number. Received a response of probably tomorrow. Three days after tomorrow went by and no reply. Sent another message yesterday asking for tracking number, no response. Should I just wait until the day after the last day of estimate delivery to file an item not received case, since I have a feeling that might be the outcome of this case? This is a seller with only a 95% positive feedback score which is low. I paid via a credit card. The last time I had a problem with an under 99% positive feedback seller (only two months ago) for an item not received and no tracking number issued, I had to open a case in the eBay resolution center where I got my money back. Would a credit card company reverse the Can't understand why sellers would not ship an item, risk getting poor feedback and then being forced by eBay to refund money? Maybe it's cheaper than a short term loan.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,520 posts, read 14,950,817 times
Putting an eBay purchase on a credit card is the next best thing to a solid gold guarantee. In the first place eBay has a very strict buyer-friendly return policy, especially on non-delivery. And eBay is at the mercy of your credit card company, and we have legally protected rights on credit card purchases. Non-delivery wins 100% of the time.

The last time I had a disputed purchase on my credit card I phoned my CC customer support and they immediately reversed the charge, and notified the merchant they had 90 days to dispute my credit. Nothing heard and I kept the credit.

Your only question is when you give up and dispute the transaction. eBay probably has a FAQ on that, or Google is your friend.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 AM

3,664 posts, read 2,608,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Putting an eBay purchase on a credit card is the next best thing to a solid gold guarantee. In the first place eBay has a very strict buyer-friendly return policy, especially on non-delivery. And eBay is at the mercy of your credit card company, and we have legally protected rights on credit card purchases. Non-delivery wins 100% of the time.

The last time I had a disputed purchase on my credit card I phoned my CC customer support and they immediately reversed the charge, and notified the merchant they had 90 days to dispute my credit. Nothing heard and I kept the credit.

Your only question is when you give up and dispute the transaction. eBay probably has a FAQ on that, or Google is your friend.
I didn't even know eBay let people still pay with credit cards, I thought it was all PayPal. And PayPal is excellent at defending buyers as well.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,520 posts, read 14,950,817 times
I can't remember when PayPal did not accept credit cards. That is an important income source for PayPal because it allows them to complete sales with buyers who do not have PayPal accounts. The easier it is to buy something more people will buy.

However, you are paying PayPal with the credit card, not eBay. Note that eBay purchased PayPal a few years back.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I can't remember when PayPal did not accept credit cards. That is an important income source for PayPal because it allows them to complete sales with buyers who do not have PayPal accounts. The easier it is to buy something more people will buy.

However, you are paying PayPal with the credit card, not eBay. Note that eBay purchased PayPal a few years back.
I thought you meant you paid the eBay seller directly with your credit card, which meant the seller had to have a separate merchant account set up. They don't allow that anymore unless you're grandfathered in.

I'm aware that you can make a PayPal payment with your credit card without having to set up a PayPal account, that is very common.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,475,799 times
Quote:

ebay spun PayPal off 3 years ago.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM

530 posts, read 187,669 times
I avoid paypal

Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I avoid paypal
Why? Do you sell something that has a lot of customer complaints or chargebacks?

We've had a very long positive relationship with PayPal.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM

4,936 posts, read 2,591,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why? Do you sell something that has a lot of customer complaints or chargebacks?

We've had a very long positive relationship with PayPal.
Paypal has very poor seller protection. This is a well known problem with the platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or