U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM

11 posts, read 6,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreysrey View Post
when i did led, i was shocked to see i made $1000 a day! But that gig is seasonal so i'm looking for something similar.

led?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 01:36 PM

178 posts, read 69,886 times
LED light

Old 07-15-2018, 01:51 PM

69 posts, read 162,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I use Thumbtack to book photo booth and DJ gigs. The income helps a lot. But it's mostly a temporary side gig to pay for an expensive purchase that I would rather not finance.
What did you use to be successful on Thumbtack? I know our target demographics (I am a CPA) are different, but I always feel that the posts don't entail enough details to craft a compelling response where I could win out over possible low-ball bids.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 AM

23,269 posts, read 16,114,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I've read a few articles recently that state that 30% of people are participating in the gig economy. I was curious how many of you guys are?

The gig economy could include things like Uber, Upwork, Task Rabbit, Fiverr etc. Now technically that is what the gig economy is, is being a part of a platform like that as opposed to running your own business, however I notice the media also seems to lump in freelancers working independently ie graphic designers, web desginers, some consultants, etc.

Curious how many of you participate? What you do? And how important the income is to you. Is it beer money or is it money you rely on?
I used to do Airbnb. It was money I relied on.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 163 times
A gig is a gig ie a side job. If you have enough of them, you can do that full-time. You can use apps and platforms to help you find gigs or do it yourself. The term "gig economy" doesn't change what a gig is. You will have more competition since you have to go find your own work. It's not exactly handed to you unless you use sites like Fiverr to outsource work you need done or you look for work on Fiverr. To save time I try to automate as many tasks as possible since I need time set aside to look for and line up jobs and/or do some marketing. If you sell on online marketplaces like Etsy and eBay, you can keep track of your sales and expense receipts with the Greenback app and it syncs to QuickBooks or Xero to help automate your accounting tasks too. I use Zapier too. If you are a creative and want to know more about how to automate your Etsy or Ebay sales and accounting go to: https://www.greenback.com/in/etsy or if you are a contractor see how to automate your Home Depot receipts to save time at https://www.greenback.com/blog/how-t...pot-receipts/2

Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 AM

4,368 posts, read 5,292,845 times
No, but we hire a lot of people like this. Freelance videographers, motion graphics artists, VO artists, photographers, and other production personnel involved in filmmaking.

Old Today, 04:18 PM
Status: "Still workin' for the man every day and every night" (set 2 days ago)

136 posts, read 33,028 times
I've been a contract tech writer since 2005. I had two gigs turn into full-time, benefitted jobs, but mostly it's been one short gig after another, most of which were a huge disappointment. Most of the time, you don't even know why your contract was ended. You get a phone call, after-hours or on a weekend, or asked to come to a meeting at 4:30 on a Friday, to find out you no longer work there. Sometimes the handwriting is on the wall; you notice you're not getting emails or phone calls anymore, you have nothing to do, and sometimes you realize later that it was there, you just didn't perceive it as such. Sometimes it's a budget thing, the department ran out of funds for your function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or