Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,061,403 times

Advertisements

I've read a few articles recently that state that 30% of people are participating in the gig economy. I was curious how many of you guys are?

The gig economy could include things like Uber, Upwork, Task Rabbit, Fiverr etc. Now technically that is what the gig economy is, is being a part of a platform like that as opposed to running your own business, however I notice the media also seems to lump in freelancers working independently ie graphic designers, web desginers, some consultants, etc.

Curious how many of you participate? What you do? And how important the income is to you. Is it beer money or is it money you rely on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM

270 posts, read 207,552 times
I can only do job/gig that is health permitted. I like it. It pay higher than an hourly job but the down side is income is not steady, no benefits, and is not a career choice. I think my career is dead because I can't go back to school or go back to my field.

The upside is flexibility. Although my income is not steady however, I make more than my friends per month and able to set aside my own retirement funds. I have the freedom that I need to go see Dr., travel, and work whenever I want without anyone looking over my shoulder. With more time to spare, I have more than 1 gig going on and always looking for more things to do to make more money. I love the freedom!

My gigs are translation, giving out free stuffs, walking to earn sweatcoin, snapping receipts, recruiting, online posting, LED, ..anything that I can do. My friends said I'm a hustler but in a very slow motion. My daily goal is to make $200 a day. it is not much since work is according to health.

When I did LED, I was shocked to see I made $1000 a day! But that gig is seasonal so I'm looking for something similar.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I can only do job/gig that is health permitted. I like it. It pay higher than an hourly job but the down side is income is not steady, no benefits, and is not a career choice. I think my career is dead because I can't go back to school or go back to my field.

The upside is flexibility. Although my income is not steady however, I make more than my friends per month and able to set aside my own retirement funds. I have the freedom that I need to go see Dr., travel, and work whenever I want without anyone looking over my shoulder. With more time to spare, I have more than 1 gig going on and always looking for more things to do to make more money. I love the freedom!

My gigs are translation, giving out free stuffs, walking to earn sweatcoin, snapping receipts, recruiting, online posting, LED, ..anything that I can do. My friends said I'm a hustler but in a very slow motion. My daily goal is to make $200 a day. it is not much since work is according to health.

When I did LED, I was shocked to see I made $1000 a day! But that gig is seasonal so I'm looking for something similar.
Not sure if your into graphic design or are creative but checkout Amazon Merch. All you do is upload designs to amazon and when they sell you get paid. You dont have to have a website, dont need to stock inventory, dont need to spend any money. You don't even need photo shop you can use free design programs like luna pic or pic monkey.

Keep hustling man

Old 06-20-2018, 05:02 PM

3,991 posts, read 3,547,390 times
I use Thumbtack to book photo booth and DJ gigs. The income helps a lot. But it's mostly a temporary side gig to pay for an expensive purchase that I would rather not finance.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM

3,991 posts, read 3,547,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Not sure if your into graphic design or are creative but checkout Amazon Merch. All you do is upload designs to amazon and when they sell you get paid. You dont have to have a website, dont need to stock inventory, dont need to spend any money. You don't even need photo shop you can use free design programs like luna pic or pic monkey.

Keep hustling man

This is pretty cool. Have you used it personally? Curious how many units someone is likely to move this way.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,866,371 times
I'm a freelance writer full-time. My entire income comes from my own personal business platform and gig sites... mostly the former, though. Gig site competition grows all the time and you have to be able to market yourself well.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
Webmaster and marketeer since 1996.
Some day I will retire.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,686,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I'm a freelance writer full-time. My entire income comes from my own personal business platform and gig sites... mostly the former, though. Gig site competition grows all the time and you have to be able to market yourself well.
I'm also a freelance writer. I rarely work with gig sites because I'm usually busy enough with my own personal clients, but occasionally I will use them to fill in.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I use Thumbtack to book photo booth and DJ gigs. The income helps a lot. But it's mostly a temporary side gig to pay for an expensive purchase that I would rather not finance.
How is thumbtack for you? I used it years ago and it was amazing at building up a handyman and lawncare business for me. Most other people I talk to rant about how horrible it is, they say they pay all this money and Thumbtack has bots making fake jobs, claim they never get jobs, etc.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,792,188 times
I'm formally retired, so I'm not sure if I count.

About 4 times a year I'll get a call on behalf of a hedge fund to get my view on a general topic in a specific industry (e.g., CapEx in Semiconductor Manufacturing); I'll spend a day preparing and an hour on the telephone addressing the issue & answering questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business