U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 2,354,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I'm curious on this as well. A few years ago after helping a friend with a project I came up with a product that would have made the project better. I have design experience so I did some basic drawings and developed it to where I was pretty sure it would work. No this is for something I have no experience with it's really just a simple mechanical part for energy sealing doors and windows. I researched prior patents others had looked at the problem but most were to elaborate or did not fully take care of the problem. Interestingly I looked for current products on the market none of the elaborate methods seems to be sold but some of the half way solutions are doing well in the market.
I have no real interest in building this thing. I looked at patents but they are pricey with no guarantees as mentioned.
at the time I was playing with this I found a guy on another forum who had sold a design for a tool to a company that produced it so PM'd him. He is an industrial designer but no experience with tools. He came up with the product mostly for himself. He used his design contacts to get a meeting with a tool maker. They ended up making a deal with no patent. He got the first couple of tools from the production run (a few hundred bucks each) then he got a tiny royalty (like a fraction of a percent.) he said it won't make him rich but he gets checks every couple months.
I'm wondering if I could do the same. Of course they could just steal the idea but they kind of could anyways.
Any thoughts.
Try it, why not? It would be nice to have a little bit of extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 05:36 AM

80 posts, read 39,167 times
I make prototypes and do short-run production for the sporting goods industry and have been involved with the patent process to a small degree. Patents are expensive and aren't respected by global manufacturers but investors seem to want them. If you manufacture a good product, market it properly and keep your supply chain flowing by the time someone rips you off, you are on to the next thing. And yes, I have collected royalties with no patent protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business