U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 AM
 
1,653 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 3011

Advertisements

I have an online drop-ship business, and some other interests in a talent agency and teaching studios. I also contract, play and teach. And I hire assistants from time to time, including housekeepers. I try to treat them fairly, pay them more than required, pay on time with bonuses and incentives, but apparently I'm not very good at it. These are part time jobs, ideal for students or retired. I'm just constantly trying to find good people. But I swear, it's hard to keep anyone.

This whole academic business area, I have no training in and I think I should at least read about it or take some courses. HR, isn't it? Can anyone recommend an author or web site where I can acquire better hiring and personnel managing for small businesses?

[I'm a little agitated at the moment. I have to tell people the same thing over and over again, and they still don't get it right. I get these blank stares. I know they're trying, they like their job, so they're not being like this on purpise. And I've never been rude to anyone and fired them, but wow.]

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 07-05-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 AM
 
1,653 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 3011
Nobody has any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,704 posts, read 9,095,596 times
Reputation: 4068
I got promoted into a supervisory position early in my career but I had no formal management training. Fortunately my company at the time sent us to lots of training classes and I picked up a few things but honestly, time and experience were what helped me develop my skills.

Part of it is hiring the right people - you need to find people that are not just there for a paycheck, but take pride and ownership in their work. You might be able to find some books or online videos that can help you understand how to hire these kind of employees.

The only other thing I can offer is that I had to learn how to be tough. Being fair and nice only goes so far. You have to set clear expectations and let your employees know when they are not meeting expectations and do it in a constructive way that that makes them feel valued - correcting the behavior not the individual.

Itís not an easy task! There are far more bad managers than good ones. Sounds like you are taking steps to do the right things. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 10:31 AM
 
5,751 posts, read 3,038,463 times
Reputation: 15092
Just happened to see this at random. You'll probably get more and better answers in the Work Forum than here. Moonlady provided some good comments, but part of the problem is the type of jobs you are hiring for. It may be hard to get top notch people in your local area


You mentioned having to tell them the same things over and over? From a management perspective you have to ask is it from a lack of ability, lack of training, or lack of trying? If it's a lack of ability you then need to ask yourself "can they grow the ability?" and "can they be trained?" If they can grow the ability, then you have to build a plan to get them there. It may not happen overnight and you may have to shift them to lower skill duties to begin learning. However, if they just really don't have the ability, and can't be trained, then it doesn't matter how hard they try, they simply aren't suitable for the job and you have to let them go.


Now on the other hand, if they have the ability, and have the training, and are putting for the effort, then you need to look at your own instructions. Are they clear? Are they realistic? Do you have written guidance in place on what to do (manual or standard procedures)?


Also your question seems to be asking about management training for yourself, which is good, but also seems to be mixing HR functions with supervisory functions. While there may be some overlap, these are really two different skill sets. Without getting into textbooks, a couple of classics are "One Minute Manager" and "Search of Excellence." For more specifics, anything by Peter Drucker. Also your local library might have access to Harvard Business Review. Most of their articles may not apply to you as a small businessperson, but I do enjoy the case studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 10:38 AM
 
Location: USA
128 posts, read 65,652 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Nobody has any recommendations?

I read your first post, but had no idea what you were doing or talking about. Suggestions?

- What are you doing?

-- Do you run a business or just do things on a whim?

you guys and your 'drop ship' businesses...... lol Hey, whatever works, but you should try the 'drop label' side, where the customer orders from you, and the order is forwarded to an actual shipper who then uses your shipping label information.

So in addition to your 'drop ship' business, you run a 'studio' business, a 'talent' business, and a 'house keeping' business??

I'm so at a loss for words.... TIP: just hire some darn contractors. You're not an employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,840 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Reputation: 29235
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
...I hire assistants from time to time, including housekeepers. I try to treat them fairly,
pay them more than required, pay on time with bonuses and incentives...
These are part time jobs, ideal for students or retired.

...but apparently I'm not very good at it.
I'm just constantly trying to find good people. But I swear, it's hard to keep anyone.
If all you say is true then you're doing it backwards.
They need to EARN the right to be kept on by you or brought back when needed.
---

Or you need to hire a personal manager.
One of the best articles I've read on what is needed in one:
https://www.janisian.com/reading/managers.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 PM
 
1,653 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
I read your first post, but had no idea what you were doing or talking about. Suggestions?

- What are you doing?

-- Do you run a business or just do things on a whim?

you guys and your 'drop ship' businesses...... lol Hey, whatever works, but you should try the 'drop label' side, where the customer orders from you, and the order is forwarded to an actual shipper who then uses your shipping label information.

So in addition to your 'drop ship' business, you run a 'studio' business, a 'talent' business, and a 'house keeping' business??

I'm so at a loss for words.... TIP: just hire some darn contractors. You're not an employer.
Sorry for the confusion. I don't run a housekeeping business, I just have my house cleaned and gardening done outside by folks I hire to do that since I don't know how and don't have time.

I've been drop shipping 20+ years so I have the process well in line. The studio is a teaching/recording space. The talent agency is contracting for gigs. I'm the sole agent. Been doing that for decades, too.

Not sure why you wrote that I'm not an employer. I employ a bunch of folks, supervise them and pay them every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM
 
1,653 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If all you say is true then you're doing it backwards.
They need to EARN the right to be kept on by you or brought back when needed.
---

Or you need to hire a personal manager.
One of the best articles I've read on what is needed in one:
https://www.janisian.com/reading/managers.php
Thanks for the link. I've got it on my reading list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 01:38 PM
 
Location: USA
128 posts, read 65,652 times
Reputation: 276
Kara,

Best to you! BUT........

Because I pay someone to cut my hair, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I pay someone to do my dry cleaning, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I 'hire' an uber ride, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I pay someone to do my house cleaning, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I solicit work for someone else, does not mean I 'employ' someone else.
Because I pay a lawn&gardening company to do my lawn, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I pay someone to deliver dinner to me, does not mean I 'employ' them.
Because I pay for goods&services from Amazon, does not mean I 'employ' them.

You've been doing 'something' for DECADES(?) yet you cannot manage, train, and supervise and retain a SINGLE 'employee?' I'm sorry, but I'm either very confused, OR... you are.

You're an employer when you hire someone and pay their wages and collect state and federal payroll taxes from and for them, pay unemployment insurance, pay worker's compensation insurance (for your employees), and file quarterly and annual payroll reports. Now that we have a minimum definition of an employer, exactly how many employees do you have and for how long? Decades??? "Contractors, landscape companies, visitors, customers, etc.... are not your employees"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM
 
1,653 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If all you say is true then you're doing it backwards.
They need to EARN the right to be kept on by you or brought back when needed.
---

Or you need to hire a personal manager.
One of the best articles I've read on what is needed in one:
https://www.janisian.com/reading/managers.php
I read your article. This is for individual acts. That's really not what I do. I contract string players for pick up orchestras. Here's the Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_group

Contractors usually start out as session players themselves and kind of fall into the work, over time, by pulling in their circle of friends. The AFM (American Federation of Musicians) and FIM (International Federation of Musicians) are pretty effective unions and not too many women when I joined in 1962, playing backup for Roy Clark and other artists in Tulsa.

The point of my post, which nobody got because it was too well disguised, was how irritating it is to deal with people who have no business sense, no professionalism and no brains, basically. I was being ironical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top