U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM

24,717 posts, read 26,785,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I think they need to open Sears stores earlier in the morning. Millenials are early risers and don't want to wait until the door opens at 11.
I think you're just making stuff up. Troll post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,387 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Correction: According to authors Strauss and Howe, the Greatest Generation was born between 1901-1924.
OK, thanks for the correction (different source I guess).

Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,969 times
Quote:
Sears is an American institution.

What steps can Sears take to increase millenial customerhood?
I walked into a sears about 3 years ago.

We looked around for some excercise equipment for over a half hour before we were approached. The store was a time capsule from the mid 90s. Kids were being yelled at for playing on the escalators over the store intercom.

I havenít been back.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:04 PM

4,318 posts, read 5,268,236 times
Quote:
Definitely a troll post. Nobody I know wakes up early unless they absolutely have to. Almost everyone I know is a night owl and Iíd never be awake by 11 to get to a store opening lol

Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
Quote:
all of her posts. total troll

Old 07-22-2018, 04:25 AM

64,561 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Definitely a troll post. Nobody I know wakes up early unless they absolutely have to. Almost everyone I know is a night owl and I’d never be awake by 11 to get to a store opening lol
well now you know one . up at 3-4am and out cold by 8:30 pm . we are at the gym by 7am usually and we have no job to go to .it has always been my natural rhythm and my wife has followed suit .

Old 07-22-2018, 07:24 AM

8,971 posts, read 3,118,603 times
Quote:
Sears is an American institution.

What steps can Sears take to increase millenial customerhood?
You're about 15 years too late. Sears is dead, although I admit I am impressed that they lasted this long. I thought they would go BK in either 2016 or 2017, yet here we are more than half way through 2018 and they are still around. But make no mistake about it, Sears has been beaten by better, stronger, faster, and smarter competitors.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:05 AM

271 posts, read 94,638 times
Sears Is Dead. My gf works their part time, she is constantly asked when are they closing. And what she has noticed is, Sears has mainly repeat family customers. Not a lot of new foot traffic. The management hounds you to sell their credit card, they have a Citi Bank card. Honestly I think the only thing keeping them afloat is Citi Bank, which is why they are desperate to get people to sign up for it.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,209,866 times
I went on the Architecture Tour on my last trip to Chicago. It's definitely a worthwhile endeavor if you're ever there on business and want to kill a couple of hours and see the city from the river. Sears (and Montgomery Ward) have their history on that tour, albeit briefly. Sears became powerful because it was at the epicenter of distribution. Their location allowed for barge traffic and connection into Chicago's rail distribution channels. They were perfectly placed for distribution and did so with their catalog offering far more than any other store could hope to sell. That reach allowed them to create sole supply chains and give them extensive and preferred reach. Those competitive advantages ebbed away over time as local retailers could begin offering the same. That concentration of volume made their vertical integration less appealing....basically their entire economy of scale began to unwind. The current ownership really is resting its ability to keep going on the massive legacy real estate that came from Kmart, which owned its own store locations. As cities grew around these department stores the company literally became valuable real estate with a current company liability. The vertical integration made it too hard to be nimble and the whole system just broke in the face of Wal-Mart going lower and Target going higher on the retail side, and Amazon clipping them for online presence.

Sears doesn't have a future. It's trapped in a thousand "me too" categories but doesn't lead in any of them. It's been a brutal story to watch unfold in my lifetime.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 AM

552 posts, read 408,541 times
The decline of SEARS is not so much about millenials, rather, they made some mistakes and did not know how to adapt to online commerce in time.

That, in addition to other stores specializing in their main lines in a more efficient way, so it has ceased to be relevant.

For example:

The Home Depot and Lowe's focused on selling tools, construction items and home appliances.

Costco focused on selling everything at a much lower price, with lower operating expenses.

Retail trade evolved from own brands that no longer needed to be exhibited in stores like SEARS.

The purchase of Kmart was a bad decision.

All those factors aside from bad management in stores caused the fall of this American icon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or