U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,572 posts, read 550,250 times
Reputation: 2707

Advertisements

Great? Haha. Only ones I ever saw we're at local malls and their food was far from great. Actually horrible IMO and comparable to Olive Garden at best.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
For years where did you go if you wanted authentic NY style pizza? Sbarros. It was where American families went out together on Friday night as ritual.

But now there seem to be fewer Sbarros. I can only think of one where I live.

What's happening to this great chain?
the real question is "why did sbarros ever exist?"

you have to be really desperate for something resembling italian food to go to sbarros. i guess it is something different than a typical fast food rest stop offering. but it was never good enough to go to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Great? Haha. Only ones I ever saw we're at local malls and their food was far from great. Actually horrible IMO and comparable to Olive Garden at best.
whoah now. when i am in olive garden its like i am in italy.

well, not so much but i always get the same thing there and enjoy it. salad, breadsticks and chicken parmesan. i remember when i was a kid they actually made the pasta right there in the front. too bad they stopped because home made pasta is the best.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM
 
1,093 posts, read 918,822 times
Reputation: 1663
Default No, just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
whoah now. when i am in olive garden its like i am in italy.

well, not so much but i always get the same thing there and enjoy it. salad, breadsticks and chicken parmesan. i remember when i was a kid they actually made the pasta right there in the front. too bad they stopped because home made pasta is the best.
Why would someone in NJ go to Olive Garden when NJ has so many fine Italian restaurants that actually serve authentic Italian food?

That's like saying, "When I'm in Taco Bell its like I am in Mexico".

Next you are going to tell us how much you like Red Lobster - A company where the people that cook the food (certainly NOT a chef) should be fired for what they do to innocent sea food.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Under Moon & Star
1,596 posts, read 565,294 times
Reputation: 8911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
For years where did you go if you wanted authentic NY style pizza? Sbarros. It was where American families went out together on Friday night as ritual.

But now there seem to be fewer Sbarros. I can only think of one where I live.

What's happening to this great chain?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM
 
15,395 posts, read 8,694,836 times
Reputation: 13780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
For years where did you go if you wanted authentic NY style pizza? Sbarros. It was where American families went out together on Friday night as ritual.

But now there seem to be fewer Sbarros. I can only think of one where I live.

What's happening to this great chain?
Not even close. Authentic? Hardly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
1,525 posts, read 1,834,685 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
For years where did you go if you wanted authentic NY style pizza? Sbarros. It was where American families went out together on Friday night as ritual.

But now there seem to be fewer Sbarros. I can only think of one where I live.

What's happening to this great chain?
Your first sentence is the problem. The answer to where you go to get authentic NY style pizza is a NY pizzeria. Sbarros is a pale imitation of such that is only acceptable if you can't get real NY pizza...or you live in Chicago or Detroit or California and eat their fake made-up pizza styles instead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
Reputation: 28736
I have never seen one before except at the airport, and never ate there. I looked it up and there is one in Seattle, one in Tacoma. Probably never will try it, since we're happy with a couple of local pizza places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Why would someone in NJ go to Olive Garden when NJ has so many fine Italian restaurants that actually serve authentic Italian food?

That's like saying, "When I'm in Taco Bell its like I am in Mexico".

Next you are going to tell us how much you like Red Lobster - A company where the people that cook the food (certainly NOT a chef) should be fired for what they do to innocent sea food.
the saying is a joke (on my part). however, you go there because you can get a good value. their chicken parm, breadsticks and salad makes for a good meal.

i do like red lobster for the same reasons. value.

i go where i want to go, i dont need to be pretentious about it. its just a meal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Honolulu
823 posts, read 1,290,059 times
Reputation: 1406
We have a Sbarros in a mall here that I occasionally go to. The thing about buying pizza by the slice like at Sbarros is that I don't feel I get my money's worth. The pizza itself is mediocre, which is okay for me, but if I spend $9 I'd still feel hungry. It's really convenience food. Much better deal to order a whole pizza.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top