U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:09 AM

64,599 posts, read 66,129,695 times

Advertisements

It is likely against irs rules to define you as independents is my guess .most employers would want that if they could get away with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 AM

5,606 posts, read 4,160,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronh630 View Post
Yeah that's my problem i think we should be independent contractors and at least get the tax benefits. My employer needs us listed as full time because several days each month we do road shows in warehouse stores and they require us to be full time. I'm just trying to figure out how to approach this with my employer.
Any employee can write off unreimbursed business expenses.

My husband is a full time employee in outside sales. We write off vehicle expenses every year. He tracks his business miles so we can determine what percent of the usage of his car is business and what is personal. Then the business percent is applied to every dime we spend on gas, maintenance and repairs, car washes, insurance and depreciation on the vehicle. If you are required, by your employer, to use your personal vehicle for work related activities and are not reimbursed for the costs, you can do this too.

I’m not an outside salesperson. I work full time at home in IT. My employer requires me to have a home phone, cell phone and internet connection. I pay for these and write them off since they are required and unreimbursed business expenses. Since I’m a full time remote employee, I take the home office deduction since my employer doesn’t provide me with a place to work.

It doesn’t matter how your employer classifies you. It depends on whether or not you have unreimbursed expenses directly related to doing your job. Turbo Tax walks you through doing this if you happen to use it to do your taxes.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 AM

64,599 posts, read 66,129,695 times
We once had the irs inquire as to whether our outside sales people had a desk in the office by name. They simply called and asked the receptionist if certain people had desks in the office to work from .

If they did those employees would have been audited since they would try to disallow any home office deductions because a work place spot was provided. Luckily non were assigned desks

Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 AM

426 posts, read 177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc4me View Post
any employee can write off unreimbursed business expenses.

My husband is a full time employee in outside sales. We write off vehicle expenses every year. He tracks his business miles so we can determine what percent of the usage of his car is business and what is personal. Then the business percent is applied to every dime we spend on gas, maintenance and repairs, car washes, insurance and depreciation on the vehicle. If you are required, by your employer, to use your personal vehicle for work related activities and are not reimbursed for the costs, you can do this too.

Iím not an outside salesperson. I work full time at home in it. My employer requires me to have a home phone, cell phone and internet connection. I pay for these and write them off since they are required and unreimbursed business expenses. Since iím a full time remote employee, i take the home office deduction since my employer doesnít provide me with a place to work.

It doesnít matter how your employer classifies you. It depends on whether or not you have unreimbursed expenses directly related to doing your job. Turbo tax walks you through doing this if you happen to use it to do your taxes.
+1

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,338,584 times
So instead of reimbursing for mileage, your company is just giving you a flat $5 per call? That may be okay.

About how many miles do you travel per appointment? If these are local calls, you may be making more with the $5 plan. For 2018, the IRS mileage rate is 54.5 cents per mile.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,271,288 times
Yeah the line between independent contractor and employee is a tricky one. We hire videographers nationwide and of course theyíre all independent contractors but itís not like they choose when to show up, we tell them when to show up based on their availability. While they decide best how to do their jobs we of course have guidelines that need to be followed for what we need. So there are employee-like functions but ultimately itís their equipment, they work presumably for many other companies, and we arenít hiring most of them more than a few days per year.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,378,942 times
Quote:
I am working for a small company doing outside sales. We are given leads with set appointments and call on customers using our own vehicles and we are given $5 for each appointment we go on whether you make a sale of not. We are full time employees with no benefits not 1099. My problem is that I am wearing out a car and using office supplies at home and can't write anything off on taxes because we are full time. Does this seem fair? I have been elected to talk to the owner about this and I'm wondering if there are any other outside sales people out there that can tell me how they are compensated for using their own cars?
Who told you this?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,342,515 times
Quote:
I am working for a small company doing outside sales.

We are full time employees with no benefits not 1099.
I'm surprised this has not been asked, but are you actually a statutory employees as defined by the IRS or a traditional employee?

Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 AM

26,851 posts, read 57,874,473 times
The real question I see is about who plans the daily sales call route.

6 or 8 sales calls in a tight area and the OP is doing very well with a $5 fee for each.
otoh... being made to pinball all over town running up unnecessary miles is just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or