U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 PM

69 posts, read 21,856 times

Advertisements

hello everyone.
I am 27 years young. I am thinking about going to school to get an associate's degree online. I have been thinking about business management. I would ultimately love to own and manage my own small business. something like a t shirt printing warehouse with attached online commerce website where I sell t shirts showcasing original artwork would be very rewarding. I have an artistic side. I understand passion for what the business accomplishes is HUGE. I have always loved feeling as though I am helping others. ive always loved looking at others art and ive always loved philosophy and the humanities.

i'd love any advice or conversation. ive got around $30k at the moment and i'm really just looking to brainstorm ideas as to what I should be saving for. many financial advice books ive read have said do 1 of 3 things. 1. buy a home 2. throw it into a retirement investment account or 3. business

since I do not have a family, I do not have a college education either... I would think it'd be more prudent to secure ongoing income. I am working 12hrs a day at the moment at a job I don't enjoy. if I could save for the next year or few.... and create a successful business, that would be great.

as far as i'm concerned, running something that is bigger than myself, that helps create good income to maybe raise a family would be my #1 concern. i'd be interested in hearing popular start up ventures I could get into quickly that have a more narrow fail rate than others.

but again, ALL advice and conversation is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 AM

496 posts, read 221,186 times
Get a degree. Going to college teaches you how to think logically, how to gather all of the available information to come up with a solution to a problem, and how to work with others. Those are skills that you will use throughout your life.

When you think about opening up a business, scope out the competition first. If what you offer is being done by others already, you will have a difficult time. I consult for small businesses so I have seen those mistakes hundreds of times.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM

1,202 posts, read 683,965 times
IMO, spending money on college when your end goal is to be a business owner is a waste of time and money. There's probably dozens of books you can buy that will better prepare you for being a business owner. You will learn faster and for much less than blowing money on college.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,026,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
IMO, spending money on college when your end goal is to be a business owner is a waste of time and money. There's probably dozens of books you can buy that will better prepare you for being a business owner. You will learn faster and for much less than blowing money on college.
I agree with this.

Get a job in the industry you want to have a business in. Learn the industry and go from there.

An online associates degree in something general like business, is a waste of time and money.

You can read books and learn everything about the very few subjects you really need. No need to go to school. The school will just suck down your funds and being online, it is most likely very substandard education.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM

2,087 posts, read 720,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Completely disagree. The key is selecting the right school/curriculum.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:50 PM

128 posts, read 65,782 times
I also disagree. While you don't need a business management degree to successfully run a small business, you do need basic writing, reading, and math skills. Those can be honed in college.

I really, really dislike engaging with ignorant business owners. They rarely get my business. jmo.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:13 AM

1,202 posts, read 683,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
I also disagree. While you don't need a business management degree to successfully run a small business, you do need basic writing, reading, and math skills. Those can be honed in college.

I really, really dislike engaging with ignorant business owners. They rarely get my business. jmo.

You don't need to go to college for basic writing, reading, and math skills. You learn this in K-12. I'm not suggesting for anyone to go into a business without a thorough understanding of that particular industry. I'm only saying that college is not the best avenue for this, since college will not teach you how to excel at a particular type of business. Not attending college does not make you an "ignorant business owner."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or