U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:03 PM

192 posts, read 109,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Unfortunately the people who have this problem, who would actually leave the house dirty, aren't likely to understand that "general instructions" are aimed at them.
This is so true!

Quote:
Not sure what you can do on a daily basis, but for the tournaments, I assume there would be some kind of sign-up? You could include a notice about body odor in the sign up. Write something like, "Since players will be in close quarters for extended periods, out of courtesy for fellow gamers please be sure to shower and wear clean clothes to minimize body odor and make [Name of Business] a pleasant place for all present." Make it a check box so they have to read it.

You might even think about making a humorous sign that is a play on the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" signs and write something like, "No Deodorant, No D&D". That will at least broach the conversation and you may be able to joke about it with people in the shop and get some of the more with-it players on your side.

I swear, you just never know what you have to deal with as a business owner. It seems like a no-brainer but sometimes you really do have to spell things out to people.

Good luck!
These are good ideas, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Stink is going to be an issue for businesses. OP has stinky teens and basement dwellers, but other businesses are dealing with unbathed homeless.
Yep. I used to work at a restaurant where one almost-homeless guy hung out all day, every day, begging other customers for beer money. He would sit right in the corner of the bar which was basically the center of my work area. Every few weeks the owners would give him some money to go to the laundromat and shower, but most of the time he reeked. The guy was nice enough and I felt bad for him, but he was definitely bad for business.

In answer to your other post, this is a pretty common setup for this type of store. It's all tabletop gaming, not computer or video games, so people come to meet up with others to play with. We provide the space and they buy booster packs, new models, accessories, snacks, etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
I was at a library where a staff member came and very quietly, very nicely, told a guy that they were having complaints about his hygiene, and that he'd have to leave. I've also seen a sign some place that said something like: Inaproporate behavior, bare feet, foul language, and poor personal hygiene are not allowed.

Deodorant in the bathroom won't work, becuase my impression is that most guys who need it don't realize it.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Maybe a nice poster in the restrooms?
https://renanlopes.me/personal-hygie...rks-templates/

Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 7,892 times
Showed this thread to my tabletop gaming husband, who happens to have good hygiene. He says this is such an issue in the tabletop gaming community that on RPGnet about 15 years ago, they had a thread about this topic, and apparently there was a phrase in the community that this kind of person is referred to as "the cat [pee] man."

Hope you're able to reduce this problem. A few of the suggestions provided sound like they could help.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:54 PM

6,448 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
My husband and I have just opened a gaming shop (Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer, Magic, etc.) Part of our goal is to be a place where people can hang out and play games, not just buy them. However, much of our target demographic tends to be less than meticulous in their personal hygeine. Yesterday I had someone there most of the day who had really terrible body odor; when we start holding tournaments or have a lot of people playing, it's going to get pretty ripe.
What did you expect? You know what your target demographic is. People who are heavily into these games tend to be loser-ish, living in a fantasy world.

No, you can't say anything to him because he's a customer.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What did you expect? You know what your target demographic is. People who are heavily into these games tend to be loser-ish, living in a fantasy world.

No, you can't say anything to him because he's a customer.
That's super helpful, thanks. Obviously it's a sensitive issue, but are you really of the opinion that business owners can and should do nothing about customers whose behaviour bothers other customers or makes the business atmosphere unpleasant?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,336,935 times
You could put a couple of essential oil diffusers in the room. Some oils are excellent at getting rid of bad odors, however, I've never tried it when the odor is coming from a person.

Could you make up some sort of "Time for a Break" cards that you could hand to gamers for any issues? Also put up a couple of posters saying that sometimes the best gamers are so into their games they lose track of time in the real world and forget to shower, eat or sleep. We want healthy fresh scrubbed gamers here, time to take a break and come back cleaned up and refreshed.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
My husband and I have just opened a gaming shop (Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer, Magic, etc.) Part of our goal is to be a place where people can hang out and play games, not just buy them. However, much of our target demographic tends to be less than meticulous in their personal hygeine. Yesterday I had someone there most of the day who had really terrible body odor; when we start holding tournaments or have a lot of people playing, it's going to get pretty ripe.....
Have you spoken to other people who own shops like yours. Is this a normal problem with a minority of the steady customers perhaps?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:08 AM

11,619 posts, read 5,457,812 times
deodorant wouldn't work anyway. It's too late for deodorant. they need to wash and THEN apply deodorant! And their shirts are likely soaked in the smell. A fresh shirt might do more good than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or