U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 03:32 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Thank you for the advice!

I will offer to pay her 3 cents per word to start. Her eyes will lite up. Such a humble person.
I offered her a percentage of the sales based on her returning phone calls in Spanish or en Espanol, and she refused the money.

I also live in a cul de sac surrounded by some friendly Hispanic neighbors who I can have check out the translation for some Cervaza
That's a horrible rate for translation. Seriously, who makes business decisions based on what some stranger on an anonymous forum finds on a Google search? And going off the rates on Fiverr? LOL. Professional publishing companies don't use Fiverr-quality private contractors.

You get what you pay for. And that percentage business -- just no.

I'd go the professional route rather than trying to get the cheapest possible option for this. Translation involves having serious skills in both languages, and just because someone can translate a brief phone message doesn't mean they're going to do a good job on a full-length book. You'll also need a translator with substantial knowledge of construction. As a prior poster states, specifics matter.

Paying in beer for others to "check out the translation"...what could possibly wrong...

Seriously, it doesn't sound as if you're up to managing this project.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-14-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 06:52 AM

17,624 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's a horrible rate for translation. Seriously, who makes business decisions based on what some stranger on an anonymous forum finds on a Google search? And going off the rates on Fiverr? LOL. Professional publishing companies don't use Fiverr-quality private contractors.

You get what you pay for. And that percentage business -- just no.

I'd go the professional route rather than trying to get the cheapest possible option for this. Translation involves having serious skills in both languages, and just because someone can translate a brief phone message doesn't mean they're going to do a good job on a full-length book. You'll also need a translator with substantial knowledge of construction. As a prior poster states, specifics matter.

Paying in beer for others to "check out the translation"...what could possibly wrong...

Seriously, it doesn't sound as if you're up to managing this project.
Not to mention cerveza was spelled wrong

Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,160,023 times
Quote:
Seriously, who makes business decisions based on what some stranger on an anonymous forum finds on a Google search?
I agree! And I was the one who did the Google search.

The point I was trying to make was that you could find general ideas that other people pay for translations rather easily. I suppose I was being snarky - my apologies!

There are sites online that actually do research about these things and find yearly averages for wages for various jobs/skills.

I absolutely agree that paying residuals after the fact is not good at all. Pay an acceptable rate based on how much you value the skills for your task. Don't pay less just because she's a humble person whose "eyes will light up" if you give her the lowest possible.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM

783 posts, read 559,597 times
Also there's a big difference between someone who can read and translate conversational English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, etc., and someone who can read understand and translate technical writing. If the person doing the translating knows nothing about the subject, you're more likely to have translation issues.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,568,174 times
i have a lot of my materials translated and i use different translation services for different things. if im a publishing company, translating some legitimately published material, i probably wouldnt be using some lady that has translated a few emails for me in the past. we have a company that we go to for translating education materials for employees. off the top of my head i cant remember the cost.

if i did hire some lady, i would probably want her to work in my office and id pay her an hourly rate. i do use employees sometimes to translate things and that is basically what i am doing.

before we use anything, we will usually have an employee review it for accuracy. i pay them based on their hourly rate; unfortunately they dont accept cervezas.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I agree! And I was the one who did the Google search.

The point I was trying to make was that you could find general ideas that other people pay for translations rather easily. I suppose I was being snarky - my apologies!

There are sites online that actually do research about these things and find yearly averages for wages for various jobs/skills.
I don't know what search words you used, but 3-7 cents per word is substandard for translation services, especially when any kind of technical writing is involved.

Kind of sounds the OP having further difficulties with this from her other thread; that comes as no surprise. I rolled my eyes at the "humble" and "eyes lite up" remarks too. I'm getting the idea that this is someone with no business experience who thinks that being cheap is "smart."

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-17-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,338,584 times
Quote:
I rolled my eyes at the "humble" and "eyes lite up" remarks too. I'm getting the idea that this is someone with no business experience who thinks that being cheap is "smart."
That really bothered me as well. Just thinking what my Hispanic son in law or his mother would think if they knew someone thought so low of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or