Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:45 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times

Advertisements

We've all heard of the crazy businesses that make people rich, from middle of the night cookie delivery to the small crazy real estate ideas that make people into overnight millionaires. What business idea do you have, that you're sure deep down inside would work but you know you'll never pull the trigger on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Eh, I mean I don't really have one, but there is a feeling I have, somewhat of a business idea if you will, that would require immense capitalization and that I believe is possible within the next 10-15 years based on the way the country is headed. Everyone knows how liberal Hollywood is, my own union (DGA) is 86% democrat by voting percentage last I heard, so we're not talking a little bit liberal, we're not talking an "exaggeration," we're talking it's literally the most liberal industry you could find. No matter your political views, as an investor, I see an opportunity there that's just being ignored.

When I watch TV and movies, I can see the subtle little things they hide in there that are obviously pieces of liberal agenda by the writers, who are also mostly liberals, and then carried through by a liberal director, and approved by liberal producers, and then promoted by liberal actors. That's all well and good, I don't let it bother me that much, I love the film industry and, hey, some of the liberal issues are worth exploring and interesting even if I don't agree with everything. But it has given me pause to think, what if there was a studio that just completely ignored ALL liberals in the same way that Hollywood often seems to ignore the 50% of the people in this country who are conservative?

What if a studio was founded that simply made a guarantee to viewers and audiences, we won't make movies that cater to a liberal agenda, and by proclaiming that this studio will make movies friendly to conservative viewers, it provides an antithesis to a lot of peoples' hatred and disillusionment with Hollywood. I think the industry has let politics get into the way of economics and basic good sense. I think if there was such a studio, they don't need to spend their money making Jesus movies (well, they could do that too, but it wouldn't be a focus), they would make normal, regular movies, horror films, thrillers, blockbusters, comedies, whatever, but you could be absolutely assured that you're not stepping into the theater watching a comedy making fun of Trump and those redneck conservatives, it wouldn't insult your religion (I'm an atheist myself, so again, this is just an economic idea for me, it's not like a passion idea of mine), corporations wouldn't be vilified without reason, etc. If anything, the studio would make fairly apolitical movies, so you could know if they made the movie, it wouldn't have some secret agenda, it would just be good entertainment. I don't think most people really want to be hit over the head with politics during a movie, it's just a chance for most people to escape their ordinary lives and enjoy some quality entertainment. Yet it seems like no big deal for these idiots to throw in political jokes that are ALWAYS left-leaning, and not funny, and somehow this goes from writer to producer to director to actor without one person ever saying, "Hey, you know, why would we make fun of Trump in a random horror movie when half our audience are probably Trump supporters? Why would we want to alienate anyone when that's not the point of the movie?" Nope, lost on them, and I think it really is because they're so out of touch with reality. In a Hollywood liberal's mind, they don't think they know a single Trump supporter, therefore there aren't any. He got elected by Russian bots and everyone will think this joke is so funny because everyone hates Trump. Well, sorry to pop the bubble, but that's wrong. You just irritated a lot of people who came to enjoy an action movie or a horror film and now they're being taken back into the real world and thinking negatively about your entire industry, "Oh boy, here we go, the Hollywood liberals strike again!"

I think the country is reaching a point where a lot of people are voting with their dollars and when they see a business that they deem has gone "off the reservation," they stop supporting that business. I think just the notion that this company is run by conservatives for conservatives would give it an enormous leg-up on the competition because they'd be competing with really nobody, since there's nothing like that. Every studio is full of liberals and full of liberals at every level of production and cast, at least (crews are not usually that liberal, especially the camera / electric department). I'm certainly curious what would happen, because any time you have 50% of people who feel like they don't have a significant voice in a major media like that, I see opportunity.

I also see an enormous opportunity that goes much beyond the simple marketing success possible and back to the cost savings. If a conservative comes forward in Hollywood, and they espouse their values, they are often basically outcast and their value on the market decreases. If I'm running this studio, I hire a lot of "free speech violators" who the liberal media basically killed their careers for stupid things they said, because I don't think audiences really care, honestly. The liberal media does, maybe 5% of the public cares, at most, everyone else just wants to see a great movie and they don't care what these people said in their personal lives or whether there's some unsubstantiated rape allegation from 27 years ago that can't be proven one way or another. I'm not going to hire people convicted in a court of law, no, but I'll hire anyone convicted in the court of public opinion and I'll pay 10% of their usual salary, because they have no other offers. Where there is a fall from grace, there is opportunity, and the sports world has the Raiders for instance to get cheap talent with off the field problems, it'd be the same at this studio. If Roseanne Barr has an audience, she's going to be in a movie or TV show, even if she is a racist old fat woman. Economics and the rule of law will guide decision making, not mob rule, not social media, not what people choose to say or not say in public, just simple basic economics and innocent until proven guilty. If a Roseanne Barr movie would cost me $15 million and make me $60 million, it's getting made.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I've always wanted to design and laser cut those realistic foam pumpkins. I've won awards for my pumpkins and they really are better than what I'm seeing in the stores. I have a friend that dressed as a vampire for one of my Halloween parties and I wanted to use his image on the company logo. All I need to do is take some prototypes and get them om QVC. I'd have to have a source for laser cutting and a source for the pumpkins and a source for the light kits. It takes me nearly an hour to hand cut one pumpkin. A laser could do it in minutes. Why don't I do it? Lazy maybe.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM

123 posts, read 144,183 times
A Jewish Chick-Fil-A location that opens on Sundays (and closes on Saturdays).

Old 10-22-2018, 04:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
A Jewish Chick-Fil-A location that opens on Sundays (and closes on Saturdays).
I'm sure that would be quite popular!!

Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,259 times
Default Best Crazy Business Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
We've all heard of the crazy businesses that make people rich, from the middle of the night cookie delivery to the small crazy real estate ideas that make people into overnight millionaires. What business idea do you have, that you're sure deep down inside would work but you know you'll never pull the trigger on it?
I have read your response and I totally agree with your this kind of idea. I have also an idea to grow your business in Real Estate. If anyone boosts your business in real estate so you can apply the following steps:

- Set Yourself Up For Social.
- Add Social Sharing To Property Pages.
- Keep An Eye On The Competition.
- Make Yourself Easy to Contact.
- Create a Killer Business Card.
- Make Use of Local Images.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
I often like to play the....why wouldn't this work game.

Older fun themes:

Using water pressure from the bottom of the ocean to force water through a filter (one heck of a strong one) and out....or to turn a turbine with it's whirlpool effect. Manmade geisers for steam production and steam turning.

Several mas transit train thoughts...since the 80s.

Underwater parking garages (near crowded oceanfront destinations)

Terraforming land.

Splicing trees of different types.

Bottom of the Ocean Living Developments/Underground Cities

Volcano incinerators

Old 11-01-2018, 04:23 AM

834 posts, read 528,081 times
First off, JonathanLB.....just enjoy the dang movie. Most of what you think is propaganda is merely the truth. That includes the media. Woops, I mean I'm coming to take your guns!

As for money making ideas that I'll probably never pursue...

A motion activated cell phone charger. Shake it or run with it for a quick charge. Walk with it for a slower charge.

A non-profit thrift store that pays people for their better quality items. Then, unlike Goodwill, actually give the net proceeds to people in need.

A celebrity convention where people pay for autographs, photos, or other experiences with their favorite celebs. From athletes to musicians to Hollywood superstars. Have various charities sponsor the celebs, paying for the booth, travel etc, then split the proceeds with eachother. Whoever promotes the event gets the admission and ad revenue. (This already exists minus the charity aspect....and big name stars).

Free range fish farm. Pesticide and mercury free. I know I'd pay more if that was an option.

Fast food pasta national chain.

Antique store/buyer national chain.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:01 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
First off, JonathanLB.....just enjoy the dang movie. Most of what you think is propaganda is merely the truth. That includes the media. Woops, I mean I'm coming to take your guns!
Uhh, yeah, because the liberal media and liberal Hollywood tell the "truth" regularly, and it's not propaganda. Riiiiiight. This is why there's no reasoning with liberals, because they lack any sense of logic or real world understanding. It's one bleeding heart cause after another, none of which make any economic sense. You can't enjoy a movie when the makers are hitting you over the head with nonsense and propaganda. There are too many OTHER great movies that do NOT do that to ignore. I've been a critic before, and I took it to the house with any movie that included propaganda like that, it won't get a good rating, because it's not a good movie. I'm not talking about movies about Watergate or movies like The Insider or Spotlight that highlight the true powers for good of the media, that focus on great real world happenings. Those are fantastic movies.

I'm talking about movies like Hey Arnold! -- allegedly made for kids -- written by morons in Hollywood who think every real estate developer is evil, so hey, here's a good idea, these evil real estate developers are trying to build a mall! The only villain I saw was Arnold and his group of cronies. If you think your protagonist is "the good guy" and I think your antagonist is the good guy, you have a major story problem. It has to be clear to me as a viewer why the antagonist is evil, or I have to identify with the protagonist, and if neither of those are true, you have a bad movie.

I feel exactly the same about any conservative propaganda (I'm a libertarian). I don't want to watch a movie that glorifies pumping out kids as some great life achievement, or how that's "character growth" for some mediocre character to come to the realization that their life would be complete if only they spawned like an animal. I don't care whose value system that is, but it's not mine, and doesn't belong in a movie. When you force your values upon viewers, expect revolt if people disagree with those values. There's 95% of the time no reason for it, it's just lazy screenwriter shorthand. "Evil corporate career woman bent on becoming successful but cold because she doesn't like kids discovers that she has a warm side and suddenly starts to want kids." That is propaganda. That is the worst, most foul type of propaganda, and is present in Jurassic World, where it's 2018 but we're still going to imbed messaging into our films about how women can't contribute meaningfully to society without popping out kids like they're baby factories. I still enjoyed Jurassic World, for the effects, the action, and the fun, but I still think it's a terribly written movie with a garbage plot and poor characterizations.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:23 PM

834 posts, read 528,081 times
I just read the first three sentences of that....

If you think the truth is always liberal propaganda then you're not ready to have a serious discussion about movies, much less politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business