U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,030,857 times

Advertisements

So when it comes to upgrading or replacing items, Business owners wants discounts, and will throw a hissy fit when they dont get it. Question is why you as a business person trying to get something cheap from another business that needs to pay their bills too? Yet get mad when a non-business person ask for break..?

We had one cust (business owner)crying because he needs to upgrade his equipment and complains that he cant afford it. So he begging for exchange discount. We do this on case by case basic, but not all the time. Mean while this same cust went out and acquired another business in cash, and yet complain that he couldnt afford a 2k upgrade and bought a 250k business. I cant wrap my mind around this.. its been this way for long time and notice even more were i work at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 01:53 PM

635 posts, read 558,061 times
It's tough out there.

The other businesses probably really are struggling. It's up to you whether you discount or not. But the general rule of sales is to always agree. If a prospect says "I can't afford 2K, it's a high price," you AGREE. You don't get anywhere by arguing with your prospects. Emphasize value.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 PM

9,099 posts, read 3,714,783 times
because he didn't need $250k to buy the business... it was on a loan... no one buys a company with cash, its a liability. If you bought a business that does well, it pays off the loan. If not, file bankruptcy on the business and the loan goes away since company no longer exsists

they get discounts because they bring more business than a single person who walks in... If I wanted to buy a fleet of company cars, I ask for a discount because the dealer can move dozens of cars right away

Old 09-29-2018, 02:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 2,342,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
It's tough out there.

The other businesses probably really are struggling. It's up to you whether you discount or not. But the general rule of sales is to always agree. If a prospect says "I can't afford 2K, it's a high price," you AGREE. You don't get anywhere by arguing with your prospects. Emphasize value.
No, not always. If your customer can't afford your fair price and you can't discount, you ask them what their budget is to see what you can find for a solution that they can afford.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,028,654 times
OP, they are just negotiating.

I have homeowners and business owners try to negotiate all the time.

It’s normal.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
yeah, it sounds like negotiating to me. you often have to do it if you think you can get the item cheaper. nobody should get upset by it, you arent forced to give them any discounts.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 PM

635 posts, read 558,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
OP, they are just negotiating.

I have homeowners and business owners try to negotiate all the time.

Itís normal.
Agree. Seriously it's dumb not to. Worst case is you pay sticker. So always negotiate.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,391,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So when it comes to upgrading or replacing items, Business owners wants discounts, and will throw a hissy fit when they dont get it. Question is why you as a business person trying to get something cheap from another business that needs to pay their bills too? Yet get mad when a non-business person ask for break..?

We had one cust (business owner)crying because he needs to upgrade his equipment and complains that he cant afford it. So he begging for exchange discount. We do this on case by case basic, but not all the time. Mean while this same cust went out and acquired another business in cash, and yet complain that he couldnt afford a 2k upgrade and bought a 250k business. I cant wrap my mind around this.. its been this way for long time and notice even more were i work at.
Isnít this the exact same concept Iíve tried to explain to you numerous times when youíve asked for constant one sided concessions?

Old 09-30-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Agree. Seriously it's dumb not to. Worst case is you pay sticker. So always negotiate.
But yet when a consumer walk in and ask for a break, get shown the door. You cant just walk in to a store and get what you want? But yet you throw the "Im a business owner" give me a break attitude when things break, or you want a better deal.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, it sounds like negotiating to me. you often have to do it if you think you can get the item cheaper. nobody should get upset by it, you arent forced to give them any discounts.
Company sales does it on case by case, not always. Sometimes the word gets around and they have to word things exactly to get it.. it got spread pretty quickly now and discounts have stopped. We got bought out by a top 50 fortune company few months back so things are changing. I am support side of things and every now and then we get these sales calls i have to forward them too their dept, and mean while i get the lecture on how expensive things are and they want know how to get it cheaper. I had one throw the "im a business owner losing money, take care of this NOW" attitude, when he simply dial the wrong number, and he had he balls to tell me to pass the info on to the right dept. Kinda hard when i am in petroleum company, not a watch company. Wonder how he doing now... because it never got relayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or