U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:24 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Maybe. If Sears is the only anchor, it will probably depress the mall. If there's another strong anchor, or more, probably not. I don't think Sears pulls anywhere near the business they used to, so if a mall is surviving with a Sears on life support, they'll survive when it dies.

They're often premium locations, even in older areas. Look for retailers like Target and Walmart to pounce on the good locations.
Kmart has a huge superstore here in NYC. Located in prime Greenwich/East Village area (Astor Place), something Walmart likely would be interested in nabbing since they are forbidden by law otherwise. Yes, NYC has "banned" superstores by zoning changes which make assembling property required impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Maybe. If Sears is the only anchor, it will probably depress the mall. If there's another strong anchor, or more, probably not. I don't think Sears pulls anywhere near the business they used to, so if a mall is surviving with a Sears on life support, they'll survive when it dies.

They're often premium locations, even in older areas. Look for retailers like Target and Walmart to pounce on the good locations.
I think you make a good point about Sears in malls. A strong mall where they are not the #1 anchor will probably survive. My local mall has Macy's, and JC Penney, so the Sears store closing would likely not hurt the mall much...but the Sears in my example also takes up a lot of the mall real estate. Disclaimer: There is no indication Sears is closing in my local mall.

Malls are dying to be sure, but they are not dead. Many continue to thrive. The question is how to continue to make them viable. Back to my example (btw I am speaking of the Columbia Center Mall in Tri-Cities, Washington), they are tearing down a just 20 year old movieplex to add new retail. Just signed is the first "Dick's Sporting Goods" in the metro. The point here is that malls need to be aggressive and progressive to bring in the right tenants. If they succeed, they will live on.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM

728 posts, read 288,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Stick a fork in it; it's done!

Sears is gone, dead, and has been for ages now.

They should have never closed the candy counter and stopped serving pop corn.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:49 PM

3,643 posts, read 2,278,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
While bankruptcy does not necessarily mean they are going out of business, this is a somewhat alarming story, though not unexpected.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...report-n918446

Yes, they are closing more stores this fall. Does anyone think they may survive in some form?
No. Sears died the moment Eddie Lampert sank his claws into the company. Rigor mortis is just now setting in.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If true, the bigger issue is another major blow to malls across America. Most, (not all), Sears are located in malls. And they generally have large platforms within those malls. I think this may be a more important outcome from the company possibly going under.
I wouldnít worry too much about it. Any mall owner/manager that hasnít been living under a rock knows that itís only matter of time before Sears throws in the towel, so they may already be making plans on what to do with the spaces once Sears leaves. If a mall is caught off guard by Sears closing, then thatís on them for not paying attention.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
No. Sears died the moment Eddie Lampert sank his claws into the company. Rigor mortis is just now setting in.

Gave you reps, but also have you down for a muffin basket.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Any mall owner/manager that hasn’t been living under a rock knows that it’s only matter of time before Sears throws in the towel, so they may already be making plans on what to do with the spaces once Sears leaves. If a mall is caught off guard by Sears closing, then that’s on them for not paying attention.
Good point, but simply making plans for replacing major space doesn't mean it won't be an issue or challenge. As I posted earlier, my local mall is tearing down a movie theater complex to add retail. I suppose in my same mall, (which is healthy), they could replace Sears if needed pretty easily. Not sure about the average mall out there though. Could be some major issues. I have witnessed malls in Pocatello, ID and outside of Chicago simply die due to losing major retailers.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Good point, but simply making plans for replacing major space doesn't mean it won't be an issue or challenge. As I posted earlier, my local mall is tearing down a movie theater complex to add retail. I suppose in my same mall, (which is healthy), they could replace Sears if needed pretty easily. Not sure about the average mall out there though. Could be some major issues. I have witnessed malls in Pocatello, ID and outside of Chicago simply die due to losing major retailers.
True.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:08 AM

Itís finally happened. Sears has filed Chapter 11.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sear...-sales-2018-10

Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 4,016 times
To be honest, really niche type stores like Sears, Toyrus, Best Buy are dinosaurs. First Walmart and now Amazon pulled the rug out from under their feet. Now Walmart is taking a hit from Amazon... and if amazon started selling groceries Walmart would die too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or