U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 03:59 PM

3,465 posts, read 2,462,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Being self employ and in sales for many years, I was not surprise by the outcome between the relatives that did well vs the ones that did poorly.
They would all probably have the same outcome if you plopped them into another type of sales job, like selling insurance. Most people don't like doing sales, therefore, most fail at MLM sales.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM

7,476 posts, read 2,753,114 times
Quote:
Not true. My wife and I declined to join a MLM that her relatives introduced to us. Out of the 9 relatives that joined that MLM company, 3 of them are making some serious money. More money than their old jobs. The 3 that are successful, their prior income was in the $80K-$125K. So, it wasn't like it was chump change. And this company has been around for 25 plus years now so there was no way they started at the top.
How do you know, for a fact, that their money comes from the MLMs they work for? Many people lie about how well they are doing in these businesses. They may have money but it might come from somewhere else. Sometimes, you'll never know - or you'll find out later. A friend of mine used to work for Mary Kay and earned use of the pink car. He lived in big house. Seemed to be doing well. Later on, his house went into foreclosure. And the car he "earned" through Mary Kay wasn't his, it was a leased car and he could only drive it when his sales were at a certain level. Once they dropped, he lost use of the car. An interesting fact about Mary Kay is that the true average salary of people who earn enough to drive the Mary Kay car, is only around $30,000 per year.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
They would all probably have the same outcome if you plopped them into another type of sales job, like selling insurance. Most people don't like doing sales, therefore, most fail at MLM sales.
Multi-level marketing is different from other types of sales jobs, though. Most of the serious money is made in recruiting others into the business, not from selling the actual products individually. The reason a lot of people don't like MLM is because they don't want to prey on their friends and family. It's something called ethics and morals. And most people don't enjoy hanging out in public places, chatting up strangers to talk to them about "a business opportunity." It just reeks of desperation. I encounter people like this all the time. In fact, just the other day another mom at the library tried to chat me up to talk to me about a MLM business "opportunity". (eye roll). Yeah, I know all about it, no thanks. I would never embarrass my kids or my family by going around chatting up strangers to recruit them into MLM, which is basically glorified begging.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, the other 6 lost money and/or did not make any money. Honestly, the 6 other relatives had no business doing it. They had no transferable skills whatsoever to even go into this business in the first place. All 6 of them were uneducated factory workers..
You don't need any specialized skills to go around pestering people. Plenty of uneducated people can get involved in MLM. Of the one percent who actually succeed in MLMs, I'm sure this tiny percentage includes uneducated as well as educated folks.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:59 PM

94 posts, read 19,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You don't need any specialized skills to go around pestering people. Plenty of uneducated people can get involved in MLM. Of the one percent who actually succeed in MLMs, I'm sure this tiny percentage includes uneducated as well as educated folks.

I've spent over a decade in sales and I say it requires skills to find customers and sell a certain product or service to a consumer. I doubt you ever sold anything based on your uneducated statement.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I've spent over a decade in sales and I say it requires skills to find customers and sell a certain product or service to a consumer. I doubt you ever sold anything based on your uneducated statement.
I'm proud to say I'm educated and intelligent enough to have never gotten snookered into Multi-Level Marketing schemes. I am very well informed about these types of businesses. They are legalized pyramids because they sell a product. But they are still pyramid schemes, nonetheless.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 11-06-2018 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM

583 posts, read 255,726 times
MLM is a great pathway to losing friends and alienating your relatives all the while making money for somebody else.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,467,725 times
You only make money in MLM if:

1. you are at the top of the pyramid
2. all or most of the people in your downline are good sellers

In summary, MLM is absolute trash for 99% of people.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM

15,564 posts, read 9,000,205 times
The only way you make money from all of these various MLM schemes is by suckering, umm, excuse me, sponsoring other people into your program. The more people you sponsor, the more money goes your way.

Unless it's a must have or very unique product that many people want (which does NOT describe 99.9 percent of products MLM companies sell), you'll end up broke trying to build your business. There's all the self help books and tapes you have to buy, there are the huge corporate get togethers where the peons hear 'exciting' speeches by the top money makers known as double diamond sapphire express deluxe (where you also fork out money for even MORE literature that will give you ideas on how to promote your brand). Etc. etc. It is all like a cult, where only the very top few make good money and everyone else loses.

Unless you have something I need on a regular basis, like a pill that gets rid of man boobs and hair loss with no side effects, sorry but I have no use for your overpriced detergents. Trust me, I can smell you from a mile away when you try to sell me onto your 'business.'

Old 11-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Trust me, I can smell you from a mile away when you try to sell me onto your 'business.'
Same here. It's so obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or