U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM

22 posts, read 9,332 times

Advertisements

Probably you should look on everything (marketing plan, products, etc.). But it's better than a franchise (no big money down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 01:00 AM

305 posts, read 107,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I won't disclose the company because it really doesn't matter and I'm not a fan of the company. I don't want to promote it anymore than it is. When you think of MLM, this company is one of the top company.

The cousin that I spoke with was a district sales manager in her previous job so I knew she made around or above $100K a year. When we spoke during her attempt to recruit me, she confirmed that she made $125K at her old job and now surpasses that income. She didn't tell me the actual amount of money she actually makes but she did told me her sales number. Since I'm in sales and I know how commissions work, it seems truthful.

Plus, her husband was able to quit his job and stop working. And 8 months or 9 months later, my sister in law went to visit them and they bought a brand new home twice the size of their old one. So I believe that she surpasses her old income by a long shot to be able to retired her husband and bought another house twice the size of the old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Being self employ and in sales for many years, I was not surprise by the outcome between the relatives that did well vs the ones that did poorly.

Yes, the other 6 lost money and/or did not make any money. Honestly, the 6 other relatives had no business doing it. They had no transferable skills whatsoever to even go into this business in the first place. All 6 of them were uneducated factory workers. It is true that not everyone needs a college degree to be successful but the odds do favor those that are educated. I, myself would never hire these 6 relatives to sell for my company.

The three relatives that are doing well were educated, outgoing, well connected. A lot of people knew them and they knew other people who were important to their success. Hard work plays into it as well. In the beginning, the three relatives that are successful, they work full time on their MLM business on top of their 9-5 job. Most people can not commit to working 80+ hours a week.

With that said, these are just the people that my wife and I know. I'm sure there were countless other team members in their network that joined and failed as well which were never discussed because my wife and I don't know those other people.
So if your relative makes let's say 130K a year and is working 80 hours a week, she's really making 65K for a full-time job. Not bad, but not amazing.

MLM's are a scam that generally prey on people who I feel like are yearning for something, much like alcoholics.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 1,646 times
With MLM's, it's more about selling the "be your own boss" lifestyle than the actual product. If the products were actually good, they'd sell them in stores.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 AM

7,477 posts, read 2,753,114 times
You don't get health insurance, paid vacation days or matching 401Ks through an MLM. Even if you are in the 2% of people who actually "succeed" in the business. It's also been proven that many people lie about how much money they earn in MLMs.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,432,423 times
I've known many to work mlm "jobs". Most, perhaps all of them have quit after 2-3 years max. My wife uses a few herbalife products and our rep has worked for them for a handful of years. She lives in a trailer, drives a junk van, and declared bankruptcy in just the last couple of years.

I would never recommend working for a mlm.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:51 AM

608 posts, read 329,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
......Unless you have something I need on a regular basis, like a pill that gets rid of man boobs....
Dude, sorry to hear about your man boobs....but it does give me an idea for a new MLM business.

--

Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 PM

5,946 posts, read 3,704,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And, if you really want to get an idea of how well products are selling, go on e-Bay and look at all the heavily discounted Silpada jewelry and samples of discontinued Mary Kay products. There's our competition.
Probably a decade ago, I frequently bought bulk lots of Silpada from disillusioned dealers who just wanted to get some of their money back. I sold it by the piece on eBay. It did very well. I already had a following of folks who bought my sterling silver jewelry.

So, as a general tip: There are always people who have product sitting around that they can't sell. Find those people (classified ads), buy all of their product and know where you can make money on it.

Don't do MLM. Do MLM salvage.

Old Today, 03:33 PM

94 posts, read 19,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
So if your relative makes let's say 130K a year and is working 80 hours a week, she's really making 65K for a full-time job. Not bad, but not amazing.

MLM's are a scam that generally prey on people who I feel like are yearning for something, much like alcoholics.
Incorrect. Her previous job (sales manager) was earning her $125K a year working 40 hours a week. Once her MLM income surpassed her $125K/year job, she quit that $125K job and went full time with her MLM career.

I'm neither anti or pro MLM. For the right person with the right skills and the right connection, success can be achieved. It's not for everyone. Sales is never for everyone.

Last edited by mikefong123; Today at 03:50 PM..

Old Today, 05:20 PM

4,369 posts, read 2,329,668 times
The only people who make money in MLM schemes are the founders. Everyone else is basically working for pennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or