U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:37 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,496,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And with the simplified tax brackets after new tax bill there are likely fewer people who benefit/need help doing their own taxes

Tax attorneys and CPAs -- those fields grow because businesses use them and the wealthy--but they also require time and money to acquire the qualifications and aren't w/o stress
The tax preparers at places like H&R Block are making 20k. They make less than interns do at real CPA firms.

And yes, it’s 5 years of education and another year to a year and a half of certification. And to say the work is “not without stress” is an understatement.

I like to call the “tax code simplification” of 2017 to be my lifetime employment guarantee. It’s mind blowing how much more complicated the code is now. The only thing made easier is the average joes 1040 filing.

And I have to say because it’s a pet peeve of mine. The majority of CPAs have nothing to do with tax. They do accounting, consulting, assurance, auditing, ect. So yes, CPA work is recession proof. Most of the public thinks of their small local CPA doing their taxes for them...but that’s a tiny fraction of what CPAs do. Personal tax work is low value added filler work, even for CPAs who specialize in small local firms. Most CPAs don’t even touch tax work at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM

103 posts, read 13,595 times
Bankruptcy Law.
Tax Law.
Patent Law.
Mortuary.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:13 AM

103 posts, read 13,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And with the simplified tax brackets after new tax bill ...

Sadly, Congress squandered a once in generation chance to simplify the tax code.

Yes, there are fewer tax brackets - but that doesn't make the tax code simpler.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:24 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,684,736 times
What is the Best Recession Proof Business To Be In?

Chocolate.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:41 PM

607 posts, read 144,581 times
Something involving caring for developmentally disabled adults.

Own a care home.

Not that these pay alot, but it allows you time to do a second business while on the clock with the first one-Taxes, accounting, laundry service for a small local hospital, small skilled nursing facility, etc..

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 12-25-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 04:11 AM

10,135 posts, read 3,458,035 times
Electricity, natural gas, and wireless telephone service.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,093,256 times
One thing I noted at the end of the last recession was the relative stability of the auto repair business. few were laid off, and few went out of business, the auto parts business also flourished while other non auto businesses were filing for BK's. I'm sure that some did perish but the majority hung on and even expanded in some cases.

While millions of IT types were floundering in the unemployment ranks the auto techs were well on their way to an uninterrupted and prosperous career. But we still hang onto the myth of the high tech sector being THE place to aspire to. The glamorous aspects of business ownership are widely sought out, but the old standard grind businesses of necessity are sometimes the most resilient, garbage comes to mind....

Old 12-26-2018, 02:33 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
How ever you choose to define best.

Anyway, I found this list: https://us.businessesforsale.com/us/...inesses-to-buy

It got me thinking about this question. For best I would define it as low risk/stress level with high profit. So that knocks some things in that list off.
Mortician, hands down.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM

307 posts, read 68,238 times
A govt contract or sub with a company that gets a govt contract.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,009,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
How ever you choose to define best.

Anyway, I found this list: https://us.businessesforsale.com/us/...inesses-to-buy

It got me thinking about this question. For best I would define it as low risk/stress level with high profit. So that knocks some things in that list off.
I have trouble taking this question seriously. There no recession proof business. Food will always be needed, as will shelter. But producing food can be very unprofitable, selling food also, and if the economy moves up people go to higher end food retailers, if it goes down they flock towards lower end places.

In short, no business will do well in every part of the economic cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business