U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM

693 posts, read 291,615 times

Advertisements

I used to laugh at Trump shouting "Fake News!" all the time but I gotta admit that I see that he's actually correct after all: for example, once again CNN got me to read through yet another B.S. "How They Did It" type of article that's probably just good old-fashioned article marketing; that is, instead of actually showing "how they did it," it's nothing more than a regurgitated press release!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/28/succe...ney/index.html

I was especially interested because of course I'd thought about such a thing myself, a fast-food chain serving only salads! But I could never figure out how to "bell the cat" -- how to actually implement such a thing...anyone know of actual case studies of successful businesses with details that are actionable -- reproducible???

I'm actually not very interested in entrepreneurship for myself (though age discrimination is making me think about it more and more) but I do find it an interesting puzzle, how to not only identify a need and a market but also collect all the necessary parts and make everything move -- and keep 'em moving!

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 06:37 AM

568 posts, read 249,082 times
I started a business 22 years ago. The first thing you need to do is figure out who your customer is and why would they buy from you. Once you know, really know, the answer to that, the rest comes relatively easy. You buy or build from there.

Old Today, 10:38 AM

5,880 posts, read 3,676,644 times
Entrepreneurship is just putting one foot in front of the other, over and over, until you get to where you want to be. There's no secret to it, although in the case of "Sweetgreen" it probably helped that all the parents were entrepreneurs already.

Their concept isn't radical. It's just Chipotle for salads. Before Chipotle's food started making people sick, that would have been a great way to pitch the concept.

There's a similar chain here in the Phoenix metro, Salad And Go. It's a drive-thru. Their idea is that people who want a quick salad are also budget-conscious, so they enlist their customers in their effort to bring their prices down. Here's how they do it:

https://saladandgo.com/notice-meters/

Behind the Salad And Go store in North Phoenix is a Hilton Garden Inn. I had breakfast there one morning with the woman who owns that store. Not the business, but the land and the building. She owns other properties in Phoenix and has international holdings as well.

I would much rather be in the real estate investment business, collecting passive income, than the nitty-gritty of running a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business