U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

763 posts, read 522,969 times

Advertisements

Sorry another shipping question. Despite the rapidly shrinking physical media industry I've been successful with selling DVDs, CDs and books in America and would like to expand my client base. Single items wouldn't make sense for the cost, but I would be interested in selling bulk orders. Like orders of 10-20 DVDs or so which would weigh from 3 to 7 pounds or so. I've read some options that I would have looked into otherwise may not be possible given the weight of my items.

What would be my absolute cheapest option for shipping and is there anything else I should have in mind as far as international selling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

3,471 posts, read 2,467,705 times
Why focus on absolute cheapest, why not just let your customers decide? Some don't want to wait months for a package.

We let our online international customers decide from 1st Class - extremely slow, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express or UPS.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,370,691 times
You can price USPS shipping, domestically and internationally, on usps.com.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

4,576 posts, read 1,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You can price USPS shipping, domestically and internationally, on usps.com.
It's very expensive these days. I used to ship quite a few books, and it was about $5 for US Priority, maybe $6 for Canadian Intl Priority, and $10 to most European destinations. I could charge a few flat rates and eat a bit of the cost for the convenience and customer satisfaction.

Now I ship Media Mail to the US and at-cost everywhere else.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why focus on absolute cheapest, why not just let your customers decide? Some don't want to wait months for a package.

We let our online international customers decide from 1st Class - extremely slow, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express or UPS.
I think Amazon offering free shipping on everything ruined a lot of peopleís expectations. Iíve had cases where I had things sit around for months unsold. Then I actually marked up the prices, but labeled them as free shipping. They werenít sitting around much longer after that.

Offering different shipping options on my own website is one thing, but when you sell across multiple platforms where competition is much more obvious anything other than free just isnít an option.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

788 posts, read 340,834 times
Purolator is an efficient option for eastern Canada, Canada post is an option that is slower but may be cheaper. I would offer an option for Canadians who live close to the border and have a mailbox in the US.

If you sell on Amazon you may want to send some FBA products to Canada in bulk. Or you can activate the multichannel fulfillment where Amazon takes care of your shipping, even if the CD orders are placed on your own website, etc.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Purolator is an efficient option for eastern Canada, Canada post is an option that is slower but may be cheaper. I would offer an option for Canadians who live close to the border and have a mailbox in the US.

If you sell on Amazon you may want to send some FBA products to Canada in bulk. Or you can activate the multichannel fulfillment where Amazon takes care of your shipping, even if the CD orders are placed on your own website, etc.
Thank you for your insight!

I heard good things about Canada Post. How does it work exactly if youíre shipping from the US? I would guess you can just print out the labels from their website, but after that is it okay just to throw the package in a big blue mailbox?

I sell a little bit on Amazon, but havenít used FBA yet. Iíve heard some negative things about it and right now the expense would dig too deep into my profits. Iím by no means ruling it out, but have to grow more to justify it.

Old Today, 02:14 PM

788 posts, read 340,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Thank you for your insight!

I heard good things about Canada Post. How does it work exactly if you’re shipping from the US? I would guess you can just print out the labels from their website, but after that is it okay just to throw the package in a big blue mailbox?

I sell a little bit on Amazon, but haven’t used FBA yet. I’ve heard some negative things about it and right now the expense would dig too deep into my profits. I’m by no means ruling it out, but have to grow more to justify it.
I'm honestly not sure how that would work, to print Canada Post labels and mail something from the US, may not be possible. I had a distributor within Canada (which is too darn expensive), and they took care of that. But you can ship via USPS and once it gets passed Canadian customs, then Canada Post will finish the delivery and the tracking number is transparent, giving more details on canadapost.ca once it reached into Canada.

FBA eats into profits but the listing will become more attractive on Amazon if FBA ships it. I agree that the goal long term should be not to rely on Amazon, but for gaining reviews and credibility Amazon may be a good route to begin with if you're in this for the long term. But never rely on Amazon, one competitor can bash your product and it happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or