U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

20,658 posts, read 8,721,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
Because just like me I will go elsewhere without saying a word. If I'm unhappy it's saying something. It takes alot. The business I'm in it irrelevant
If I change plumbers or AC guys, I would not tell the past guy that I was using someone else. The reason being, I am usually using someone else because the last guy either did not fix the problem or noticeably overcharged me. So really no point to telling them.

I did recently switch dentists because the one I was going to had limited hours and I did not like the location. They were so nice that I didn't want to hurt their feelings, but I also now feel guilty, so I am going to call.

But...if it is a restaurant, department store, bar--anyone I've dealt with and had horrible service--I do tell them.

I think business owners and managers have a right to know if their staff screwed up so badly you are reconsidering returning to eat, shop, whatever, the owner should know why you are not happy. How do they improve if they don't know what they are doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:25 PM

4,475 posts, read 1,835,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
Fire some of my customers that make me money and don't complain . That's sound advice mr. Rational

In a way, he's right.

I don't know about you, but one thing I had to learn was to differentiate between normal customers and key accounts. In every business, there are the customers who are profitable and there are customers who are not. And, almost always, the key to profitability is weeding out the ones who are completely unrewarding.

Just last month, I fired a client. She was not only highly demanding, but she was never responsive to e-mails and phone calls, often waiting until the last minute to give me a decision. I was constantly jumping through flaming hoops to serve her business. And, worst of all, she'd want backup on every single invoice. She'd want estimates on every job, no matter how small it was. Mind you, I'm an honest guy. If my costs are lower than expected, I typically pass those on.

Most of all, once you factor in the time versus profit, I was barely breaking even. Throw in the Pain-In-The-Ass quotient, and God knows what she was costing me in terms of aggravation.

So I fired her. And I've never missed her.

Meanwhile, I have a core set of clients who trust me. They are organized, trust my opinion, trust my estimates, and let me and my team do our jobs. If they have a problem with an estimate, we hash it out and work out a compromise.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; Today at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or