U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2019, 05:42 AM
 
475 posts, read 139,794 times
Reputation: 1089

Advertisements

I am self-employed and therefore my own business. I can deduct my legitimate business expenses, legitimate business meals and entertainment, legitimate business mileage, self-employed health insurance, 1/2 of my self-employment taxes, my solo 401k traditional contributions (which are limited to the employee cap every years and and the employer cap of 20% of net income minus self employment taxes), and now the 20% pass-through deduction (which is the lower of 20% of my Schedule C net income minus the SE health insurance and minus SE tax deduction minus SE 401k contributions OR 20% of taxable income).

That's right off the top of my head.... It gets complicated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,290 posts, read 1,765,546 times
Reputation: 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I am self-employed and therefore my own business. I can deduct my legitimate business expenses...
As do I. (And have at many business levels from Sched C to S Corp, C Corp and LLC...)

What puzzles me is how many people have a strange interpretation of this process - that doing all this somehow makes it "free" or makes Unca Sam pay for it or something. We've got several posts now with OPs or suggestions along those lines - do this that or the other thing, and you magically have more money or something. Spend $100k a year on housing or property, and you can write off the return income. Etc.

Just to clarify for those who have never done business writeoffs or are doing it as mystical mumbo-jumbo, expenses are expenses - money that's gone and not coming back. No tax tricks pay for rent or insurance or make them free. The only gain is that you do not pay taxes on that money spent, which is often a pretty small fraction of the actual expenses - that is, if you hadn't spent $500 on postage, you'd pay around $75 more in taxes. But you're still out $425 net, hopefully in good furtherance of your business efforts.

Maybe that's dead obvious, but I've read too many fairly wild (anti-taxer) posts and suggestions that essentially boil down to it being better to burn a thousand bucks than pay taxes on it, hee hee hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,172 posts, read 48,321,067 times
Reputation: 18318
My Dw would much rather spend more by her choice on business related stuff, rather than to pay a dime more in taxes.

We fully understand that we could spend less on the business, pocket more for ourselves and pay a bit more in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,290 posts, read 1,765,546 times
Reputation: 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Dw would much rather spend more by her choice on business related stuff, rather than to pay a dime more in taxes.

We fully understand that we could spend less on the business, pocket more for ourselves and pay a bit more in taxes.
I have neither praise nor objection; I just goggle at people who make a religion of it. We spent a lot on our employees for 12 years, but it wasn't for the tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Status: "Loving the hilarity of CD." (set 27 days ago)
 
5,629 posts, read 2,563,516 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Dw would much rather spend more by her choice on business related stuff, rather than to pay a dime more in taxes.

We fully understand that we could spend less on the business, pocket more for ourselves and pay a bit more in taxes.
Now thatís some very strange sub-optimal behavior right there. Doing that when you donít know any better is one thing, but doing it while fully understanding the implications is just, well, strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 06:08 PM
 
1,433 posts, read 366,768 times
Reputation: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Not deductible.
So now business conferences are not deductible as a business expense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As do I. (And have at many business levels from Sched C to S Corp, C Corp and LLC...)

What puzzles me is how many people have a strange interpretation of this process - that doing all this somehow makes it "free" or makes Unca Sam pay for it or something. We've got several posts now with OPs or suggestions along those lines - do this that or the other thing, and you magically have more money or something. Spend $100k a year on housing or property, and you can write off the return income. Etc.

Just to clarify for those who have never done business writeoffs or are doing it as mystical mumbo-jumbo, expenses are expenses - money that's gone and not coming back. No tax tricks pay for rent or insurance or make them free. The only gain is that you do not pay taxes on that money spent, which is often a pretty small fraction of the actual expenses - that is, if you hadn't spent $500 on postage, you'd pay around $75 more in taxes. But you're still out $425 net, hopefully in good furtherance of your business efforts.

Maybe that's dead obvious, but I've read too many fairly wild (anti-taxer) posts and suggestions that essentially boil down to it being better to burn a thousand bucks than pay taxes on it, hee hee hee.
Right, but what if it's $20k in legit expenses? That's a lot of tax savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I am self-employed and therefore my own business. I can deduct my legitimate business expenses, legitimate business meals and entertainment, legitimate business mileage, self-employed health insurance, 1/2 of my self-employment taxes, my solo 401k traditional contributions (which are limited to the employee cap every years and and the employer cap of 20% of net income minus self employment taxes), and now the 20% pass-through deduction (which is the lower of 20% of my Schedule C net income minus the SE health insurance and minus SE tax deduction minus SE 401k contributions OR 20% of taxable income).

That's right off the top of my head.... It gets complicated!
Are you incorporated? Have you had a problem or been flagged for hobby loss rules yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM
 
1,433 posts, read 366,768 times
Reputation: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Now thatís some very strange sub-optimal behavior right there. Doing that when you donít know any better is one thing, but doing it while fully understanding the implications is just, well, strange.
Please expand on the implications...Because this is a point of contention for many and I have not seen any verdict on it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Status: "Loving the hilarity of CD." (set 27 days ago)
 
5,629 posts, read 2,563,516 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
So now business conferences are not deductible as a business expense?
Iím sorry, I should have been more clear. The day before, the day after, and the plus one arenít deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Status: "Loving the hilarity of CD." (set 27 days ago)
 
5,629 posts, read 2,563,516 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Please expand on the implications...Because this is a point of contention for many and I have not seen any verdict on it yet.
Paying more taxes than necessary is sub-optimal. Why is this even a question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,445 posts, read 8,429,405 times
Reputation: 6407
Incorporate as a pass-through business, expense everything your accountant says you can get away with, claiming losses carried forward - we can no longer do this , maximizing owner share of 401K and profit sharing, buying/renting out your commercial building(s)... And a new one I’m just beginning to explore - having the cash flow to self-fund a company health savings account for your employees...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-05-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top