U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM

1,744 posts, read 2,169,714 times

Advertisements

So it seems like the pendulum has swung back to 1985 in business.

In 1999, doing everything online was all the rage. It was simple, easy, and quick. Never had to deal with navigating through a tedious prompt menu tree, then waiting on hold for an hour. Then speaking to a sullen, not very well informed "Service Rep". All businesses tried really hard to push you onto their websites. Call centers, it seemed, were fast headed for extinction. Which would've been fantastic.

It was heaven.

Today, in 2019, it seems like we've regressed right back to where we were in the pre-Internet days. Can't do anything online outside of very basic transactions.

Even though the ability exists-including chat for unusual or multiple layered or complex questions, I'm seeing more and more, businesses trying to steer people BACK to 800 numbers and call centers and byzantine navigation trees. Followed by talking to Kassir Hapu....err.....Steve.

I LOVE the chat/email option because 1) it's easier and convenient. 2) Everything is documented and in writing so there's no "he said/she said" BS in the event of a dispute. 3) Calling and talking on the telephone verbally is just a huge pain the you-know-what as I said in the opening. I just don't like talking on the phone.

So why is this going on? Is the reason many companies are refusing to do anything in writing the very same reasons why I love them?

Call centers, it seems, are making a huge, huge comeback, imposing massive amounts of hassle and inconvenience.

Is this just my imagination or is it really going on?

This is 2019. Verbal phone calls in business are-or SHOULD be-obsolete and not needed. Really. Ever. Yet now more than ever-can'[t get away from them?

Is this a consequence to all these data breaches? Companies figure it's cheaper and easier (and less risky) to go back to archaic ways of interaction rather than spend the money to secure and tighten their operations?

I'm seeing a meteoric resurgence in insistence of paper and snail-mail too. And I'm guessing it's for the same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 1,919,775 times
It's your imagination.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,970 posts, read 52,451,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's your imagination.
Yes, or perhaps just the places you happen to deal with. I have not called an 800 number in years, everything is done online, payments, inquiries, ordering.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM

583 posts, read 266,147 times
How are they going to sell you anything if they don't talk to you?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:35 PM

4,967 posts, read 7,919,840 times
I feel the opposite. More companys seem to be going out of their way to NOT list a phone # to call. They don't want to listen to us whine when we can't follow written instructions. Only contact is e-mail or snail mail. Or Chat, which I dislike because I am knot a veri gud tie-pist, or spelar.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM

30,113 posts, read 32,715,512 times
Usually the only times I'm directed to call anyone is when I want to stop doing business with a company or decrease the amount of business, and money, I'm giving them. Some places don't even allow you to SEE certain plans or products that are less expensive than whatever it is they want to push.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,219,771 times
Increasingly, banks won't even let you log on without texting you a security code, so you need to have your phone in your hand every time you access your account. So you might as well just phone them. If you choose not to be a slave to a smart phone, you are disqualified from even having an online access.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM

4,228 posts, read 2,550,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Increasingly, banks won't even let you log on without texting you a security code, so you need to have your phone in your hand every time you access your account. So you might as well just phone them.
That is a GOOD feature with the increased hacking activity and scams over the last few years. They have to take security more seriously.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,219,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
That is a GOOD feature with the increased hacking activity and scams over the last few years. They have to take security more seriously.

So require everyone to physically walk into a bank and show then a tattoo for every transaction. Where is the line between the baby and the bathwater?

When a bank has my money and refuses to believe I am who I say am, they have overstepped.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:24 AM

15 posts, read 13,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So require everyone to physically walk into a bank and show then a tattoo for every transaction. Where is the line between the baby and the bathwater?

When a bank has my money and refuses to believe I am who I say am, they have overstepped.
When all your money and Identification info is stolen from the bank because the bank didn't have enhanced security to protect your login info, are you going to blame them? Or will you still be happy they didn't "overstep" to protect you and your money?

Unfortunately the world has people who do not care about morals, they just want your money and will do anything to get it. Online hacking is a large part of the world we live in now.

As to the OP, the vast vast majority of my business interactions is online or through my bank online. Except for walk-in shopping or services, food, clothes, etc., I hardly ever call any of my business contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or