Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times

Advertisements

I’m a public school teacher looking for a side-hustle and think tutoring may be a better option than getting back into retail pharmacy which payed only 13/hr and which I despised. The pharmacy job also costs $300 a year in licensing fees, and I think I’m going to let it expire this next year.

The short of it is I have no idea what the going rate for tutors are in Shreveport, but $50 seems like a good benchmark and I had a relative that used to do that I think that’s what they used to charge. I need advice on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I’m a public school teacher looking for a side-hustle and think tutoring may be a better option than getting back into retail pharmacy which payed only 13/hr and which I despised. The pharmacy job also costs $300 a year in licensing fees, and I think I’m going to let it expire this next year.

The short of it is I have no idea what the going rate for tutors are in Shreveport, but $50 seems like a good benchmark and I had a relative that used to do that I think that’s what they used to charge. I need advice on this.
Call the local schools and community colleges/look online at their job/posting sites. That will help you get a feel.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I'm not in Louisiana. Our pta has a deal with Princeton Review. It looks like the course is six - 3 hour meetings over the course of three weeks for $799. Students get a 25% discount if they use the school code. It looks like the hourly rate through them is ~$33 per hour. This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it may help you decide on a range.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:10 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
$50/hr seems high, but I am sure there are some people willing to pay it.

I think $20-$30/hr should be quite easy to come by though which still beats $12 an hour at the pharmacy or whatever.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 PM

I talked to my friend who said she just charged $40 an hour, but she had lots of “references”. It would be unethical to advertise where I work (at least I think so), so I would need to find another way to drum up references.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:

Here's an idea....Is there a meeting hall, on campus or a local community room at a bank where you could give a tutorial for a handful of people, charge a reasonable rate for each person....there by using your time more wisely and tutoring multiple folks....And perhaps hold these every week....til SAT's That might be more lucrative and productive...and you could charge a more reasonable rate per person.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here's an idea....Is there a meeting hall, on campus or a local community room at a bank where you could give a tutorial for a handful of people, charge a reasonable rate for each person....there by using your time more wisely and tutoring multiple folks....And perhaps hold these every week....til SAT's That might be more lucrative and productive...and you could charge a more reasonable rate per person.
Yes. There are several places like that. I’ll also be talking with my friend to see how she started out, as she no longer does it and I wouldn’t be stepping on her toes.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Yes. There are several places like that. I’ll also be talking with my friend to see how she started out, as she no longer does it and I wouldn’t be stepping on her toes.
Always a good idea to network with friends...Personally I think it is the most effective way to garner info and resources...and perhaps some of her references/leads for clients.

Also, another idea...Have you checked on doing a pod cast where you'd charge....I know there are places online that help you sit this up and teach you how to get paid etc. If I can find the page that I just saw about this I'll link it....I ran into it while looking for webinar's for my prof. licensure.

Found them....there are many, list a couple...I searched "How to make money doing a podcast"

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/how-to...asting-2531432

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-crea...odcast-2843321

Last edited by JanND; 02-27-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business